Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:03 pm
Posted on facebook by Olga:
Dear friends of Andrew Mikelsons, some very sad news from Andrew's wife, Faith.
I tried contacting Andrew, having noticed that his posts here had stopped rather abruptly a while back, & received no response.
After contacting Faith, this is the message I received this morning.
Janet Gershen-Siegel or Jay Siegel, could you please pass on this news to Andrew's friends at A2K.
I'm sure they would want to know. Thank you.
"... Andy is really in bad shape. He could go at any time. WE were together 50 years (after a fashion). I don't have an a2k acct. So you might tell folks to a2k him. I don't know if you will get a response. He is in a terrible depression and I have a very hard time communicating. Pray that he goes in peace. XOXO faith"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 43 • Views: 20,841 • Replies: 186

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Damn, I had a feeling that something was going on.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks for opening this thread for one of my favorite a2kers. I hope he's not in pain and suffering. Hope he's comfortable and surrounded by loving friends and family.

I wish I could've met him.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you. Oy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:20 pm
Andrew has been one of the good guys, always, here and on facebook.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:31 pm
@edgarblythe,

very true...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:36 pm
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/8e12a510d6bfbc533b2f6b77416a80a8?r=R&d=identicon&s=180

Photos of Seaglass and Andy at one of the A2K gatherings in San Francisco. These are from the 2007 gathering.

cicerone imposter wrote:

At Muir Woods.http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/571/sf1a2kandyfaithluaug312jc0.jpg

Waiting in line at The Fish restaurant.
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4411/sf1a2kandyfaithluaug312et4.jpg

This is what I had; crab roll and a pint of Guinnes.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8701/sf1a2kandyfaithluaug312nn3.jpg

Sglass and ci's wife in front of Buddha.
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/3194/sf1a2kandyfaithluaug312le1.jpg

At the tea house at the Japanese Tea Garden.
http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/47/sf1a2kandyfaithluaug312sh0.jpg

The end.http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4851/sf1a2kandyfaithluaug312nt2.jpg

cicerone imposter wrote:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5334/sanfranciscogatheringauxc7.jpg

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:36 pm
I love that man.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:39 pm
This is Andy's greeting to all of us from his new home in Hawaii where he and Seaglass moved to from Boston in 2009.

It is typical Andy in grand style.

Merry Andrew wrote:

So, here I am on the so-called Big Island of Hawaii and I'm thinking it's time I gave y'all a running commentary on my travels, on this island itself and on life in general. Also, give you a chance to call me names and generally give me a hard time. 'Sokay, I'm used to it.

Anyway, I arrived here on the third day of the third month of this current year. I got online May 19, two days ago, after several hair-raising and hair-yanking attempts. This is typical in Hawaii. Saw an SUV (or maybe it was a pickup) yesterday (or maybe it was this morning) with a bumper sticker that said: RELAX. THIS AIN'T THE MAINLAND. Makes perfectly good sense to me. The people here are so relaxed that nothing ever gets done on time. Ever. I believe Christmas is celebrated sometime in mid-January. If you have a structural emergency at your abode, e.g. a crumbling foundation or a leaking faucet that's flooding your kitchen, it'll take about half a dozen phone calls before some tradesman actually commits himself to coming over. Then he may or may not come over. Depends.

Nobody's in any hurry and that most definitely includes civil servants, be they county, state or Federal level. You may say that this is true of civil servants everywhere but here's the difference between the local contingent and those on the mainland: no one is ever surly. They will all bend over backwards to be nice to you. They will be solicitous of your needs and your welfare. They will tell you, "No problem." (Actually, in Hawaiian that's "A'ole pilikia," but it means the same thing.) And then they will do nothing, or next to nothing. They'll be too busy being nice and solicitous to the next person in line.

Don't get me started on Hawaiian police. That deserves a special thread of its own.

The biggest mistake a haole malihini (newly-arrived white man) can make is to insist that Hawaii is one of the 50 United States. This is an illusion fostered by the US government. Hawaii is a foreign country and one does well to observe the local customs and not make too many waves. The Hawaiians will tolerate you. After all, you bring the dollars. But don't think that this makes you somehow an equal. Most native Hawaiians fly the Hawaii state flag upside down on their flagstaffs in protest of the fact that we (the USA) literally stole the country from them, ousted their royal family and simply took over, bullies that we are. At the recent Merry Monarch Festival in Hilo, I saw a rather large banner on one of the concession stands, which read WE ARE NOT AMERICANS. WE ARE HAWAIIANS. No surprise shown by anyone attending the annual festival.

I am now living on the rim of a very active volcano. Literally. The house we're in is technically on the grounds of the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park and I'm no more than maybe two miles walk from the rim of the main caldera of Mount Kiluaea. Maybe less. I've walked it several times while Seaglass was off in the family car but I wasn't wearing a pedometer so the distance is an educated guess. I've walked the rim of that volcano and even across the crater left by one of the more recent eruptions in the 1980s. Eerie but strangely exhilirating. The one drawback to this locale (apart from the ever-present danger of an earthquake or unanticipated major eruption) is the air quality which has recently become much worse than it had been on my previous visits. They call it vog. That's a combination of fog and volcanic emanations, mostly sulphurous fumes, which are currently coming out of the Hale'mau'mau crater, a part of Kiluaea's main caldera. This column of what looks like white smoke rises from a vent in the crater and disipates into the sky, looking for all the wrold like the prettiest white cumulus clouds you ever saw. Except they're almost pure sulphur. A large portion of Crater Rim Drive, a road I used to drive without giving it a second thought, has been closed because of the air quality. And, along with that, all the foot trails into the caldera have been closed down. There are large signs at the entrance to the Park, warning, essentially, don't drink the water and don't breathe the air.

As for the water quality, that's never been drinkable on the side of the mountain. I drive down t0 Mountain View, a town at the 2,000 foot level, to fill up a couple of 20-gallon potable water jugs about twice a week. Seaglass and I are in a lovely house at the 4,000-plus level, which is your basic crest of the mountain, and the water that comes out of the tap is fine for washing one's clothes, the dishes and one's own bod', but certainly not to be ingested.

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know about my whereabouts. But, if I've left anything out, feel free to ask about it. Also, feel free to comment.

Aloha, y'all!

http://able2know.org/topic/132596-1
0 Replies

dianef

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Faith, such sad news. I hope Andy comes through and that the depression lessens. It often is cyclical and will improve after a while.

Love to you both.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:46 pm
Oh, oh, oh.

EdgarB, in case Andy doesn't see this thread, will you tell Faith that we miss him and love him?

Holding your hand, Andy.

Jo
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:49 pm
I remember that San Francisco meeting very vividly and I am so glad to have met Andy there (among all the others).

Like Edgar said, he's one of the good guys, always helpful, always friendly, always a gentleman. They don't make them like this anymore Sad

I'll message Faith to see if Andy can be contacted via phone.....
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 06:50 pm
On another note, that transgender (forgot her name) next to Andy was
a hoot. I think georgeob1 almost choked when he saw her Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 07:06 pm
Thank for the photo of Andy again.

I do hope things improve. You're right - he was/is one of the good guys!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 07:09 pm
Our hearts go out to MA and Seaglass.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 07:15 pm
In this post, Andy talks about the hospital he is in and gives the name of it if anyone wants to hunt it down and see if they can get a telephone call through to him.

http://able2know.org/topic/197859-5#post-5868841

I think this may be the place, but am not sure.

http://lifecarecenterofhilo.com/
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 07:22 pm
Sad to read this. Andy's a good man.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:09 pm
I’ve never met Andre but have come to know him as a friend over the years. My thoughts are with him and those who love him. She-yihyeh le-orekh yamim to vim amen.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:13 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree. Andrew is a smart and gracious guy. I hope he finds some peace soon. Please pass my greetings if you get the chance.

I remember the day very well.

The TG was Harper or something like that. I was an A2K novice and She/he hadn't indicated attendance but showed up. I had gone down to the main entrance (don't recall why) and found her there, stopped by the attendant. I told him to let her come in, but became a bit startled by her appearance as I followed her up the stairs. All things considered it was the right thing to do and is still a bit amusing to recall. It was a pretty good day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:41 pm
I've heard from Faith. She will be providing a phone number so people can call Andy.

I've also suggested they have an internet savvy friend come to this thread to collect messages to Andy.

I do love that man dearly. He's been a good friend for such a long time.