WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS

Ragman

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 02:15 am
Feel-good music as played by Ry Cooder, one of the finest and most underrated guitarists of our time - a national treasure. Here he's playing Live at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, 1987 . (The rest of the band are all-stars but I can't quite find all of their credits. I'm told that Van Dyke Parks is on piano). The first song is a great performance but the whole clip is 90 minutes. When you get a chance, let it play on 'cause you'll be rewarded.

For those who want a treat and to dip more than a toe, here's the track-listing:

3:08-''Let's Have a Ball''
9:18-''Jesus On the Mainline''
14:23-''How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times & Live?''
23:33-''Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb''
26:12-''Down In Mississippi''
33:57-''Maria Elena''
40:22-''Just A Little Bit''
43:25-''The Very Thing That Makes You Rich''
50:28-''Crazy 'Bout An Automobile''
57:48-''Chain Gang''
1:03:37-''Down In Hollywood'' (Including band introduction)
1:20:15 ''Good Night, Irene''

Ry Cooder bio: "Ryland Peter "Ry" Cooder (born March 15, 1947) is an American musician and composer. He is a multi-instrumentalist, but is known for his slide guitar work, his interest in roots music from the United States, and, more recently, his collaborations with traditional musicians from many countries.
His solo work has been eclectic, encompassing many genres including Americana, folk, blues, Tex-Mex, soul, gospel, rock, and much more. He has collaborated with many musicians, notably including Captain Beefheart, Ali Farka Touré, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Randy Newman, David Lindley, The Chieftains, and The Doobie Brothers. He briefly formed a band named Little Village.
Ry Cooder produced the Buena Vista Social Club album (1997), which became a worldwide hit. Wim Wenders directed the documentary film of the same name (1999), which was nominated for an Academy Award in 2000."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 07:48 pm
Ozzy Osbourne
Guitarist: Randy Rhoads

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2015 11:23 pm
Eddie Van Halen

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:02 am
Joe Satriani

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 06:42 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I actually like "shredding" and Mustaine was a great one.

If you like Megadeth, you might like this one too. Symbolic deserves to be counted alongside the likes of Rust in Peace and Master of Puppets in the annals of great metal albums.

Band: Death
Album: Symbolic
Guitarist: Chuck Schuldiner

A live performance of a song from a different album (you can see his unique X-shaped guitar with only the one pickup at the bridge):

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 04:57 am
I suppose that's no problem for someone like panzade, but I didn't get most ...

Guess the guitar hero – from their guitar
Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 06:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm jumping off the roof and here's why:
I clicked on that link, forget about recognizing the guitars except for one. In the first question, I only recognized the name of one of the 5 guitarists and the name of one of the group (ZZ Top). I'm officially an old fogy fart.

Í guessed at all the questions. The ones I got right, besides through luck or logic, were the ones from the '60s and early '70s. Bo Diddley's square guitar was a give-away.
0 Replies