Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 02:03 pm
Clicking on the apple we get about 10 choices including "Shut Down." However with my present OpSys if I click on that, restarting takes a couple of hours, (owing partly to the repeated need for passwords and time consumption entailed in their verification) so instead I go to "Sleep." Forgive pun

However, I do forget sometimes, for another couple of hours fire-up. So can someone suggest a way to delete that "Shut Down"

Many thanks to any of our excellent a2k'ers who so gallantly rush to the aid of the ignorant
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 474 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 02:32 pm
I don't really know what process you are talking about for turning on your computer after you have turned it off. Me, I just push a button on the back of the computer monitor and it comes back on. So, is there an Apple Store/fixit shop you can access?
In Albuquerque and other cities I've lived in, there are people who do computer help for a living, listed in the phone book.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 03:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you ss once again, and once more apologize if at 84 my postings aren't entirely clear

Quote:
I don't really know what process you are talking about for turning on your computer after you have turned it off.
Shutting down, then restarting. Doesn't matter whether shutdown includes power; on restarting all sorts of additional passwords required and delays to undergo

Quote:
So, is there an Apple Store/fixit shop you can access?
My pc is probably okay in every respect, the difficulty is treacherously labyrinthian software. It's not that I'm so dumb, though I have to admit certain ignorance in matters of modernity, but my excellent No. 1 Son, literally a pc expert, has also given up on these incredible OpSys obstacles

In Albuquerque and other cities I've lived in, there are people who do computer help for a living, listed in the phone book.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 03:50 pm
@dalehileman,
I thought you had a Mac.

If it's not a Mac, look in the phone book for p.c. fixers.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 04:09 pm
@dalehileman,
Next time one of your sons is over at the house, have them do some of the routine housekeeping on your computer. It shouldn't require 2 hours for a power up. If it is, then you've got a lot of clutter on the hard drive that should be cleaned up. They will most likely know how to do this.

Leave it for your sons to do for you. Maybe it can be one of their gifts to you for Father's Day when they come visiting.

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
phone book for p.c. fixers
Yea thanks Oss, I'm considering it as a last resort. Meantime though I do have one or two other savvy buddies who might visit

Quote:
I thought you had a Mac
I don't know. There's an apple in the upper left corner but I'm not sure just what that means
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 05:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
... one of your sons is over....some of the routine housekeeping...
I've had both sons over, with no luck so far

Quote:
It shouldn't require 2 hours for a power up.
Nah it shouldn't. But I do exaggerate

Quote:
... lot of clutter on the hard drive ...They will most likely know how...
My No. 2 has been very helpful but he isn't specially trained in the art. No. 1, an actual PC expert, has sort of given up on me, and I can't blame him

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 05:59 pm
@dalehileman,
That's a Mac. I've been to places that only fix macs, one a Mac store in a small northern california town (Arcata), and one a small business in Albuquerque -
and some places that fix computers in general, mostly pc's, but also, Macs.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks Oss, I'll make a special note for future ref
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
That's a Mac
Yea, Oss, it is, I've just confirmed. Apparently Apple is an OpSys or some such

Thanks again
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:25 pm
Dale, here is an Apple MacIntosh Computer repair store in Apple Valley. Put in a call and have someone come out and help you fix the computer the way you want it.

http://www.cornicemac.com/

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
But thank you most kindly for that link. All else failing I shall try it

Meanwhile wonder if another of our a2k experts might be able to suggest a means for disabling that "Shut Down"

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 11:29 am
@Butrflynet,
Dale, here is a..... repair store...... have someone come out and help you ......

Thanks again But, but apparently that's not a valid email add
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 12:04 pm
@dalehileman,
It's a website.
Click on Buttrflynet's link in her post or your own post of her post.
When you put you cursor to it, it will show an underline under it. Click, and that will lead you to the website.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 02:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
It's a website.
Aha Oss, I oughta learn the diff

Quote:
Click on Buttrflynet's link.......and that will lead you to the website.
Thanks again Oss but I've already contacted 'em thru GOG

----Good Old Google
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 03:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Well Oss I haven't heard from Cornice yet. I don't have much luck that way because for some reason when U.S. Business letter-opener-typist doesn't understand a query they immediately can it; so the guy who can answer doesn't even see it

Was on the horn coupla days ago for another hour or two with my No. 1 Son, who as I said is in actual expert in these matters, hoping to find a way to get rid of the password requirement, was finally successful. Often wonder what folks who don't have such a family member, they just pace about in frustration 9 hours a day

With my new OpSys I haven't bee able to delete a Word file. Yesterday spent quite a long horn with my No. 2, mystified when he kept referring to a "magnifying glass at the upper right."But halfway through our chat I realized that I was looking in the wrong box, that he meant upper right of the screen; still puzzled until I realized he meant what I had been calling a "Q". Doubtless on his next visit he will see what I had been doing wrong ll along

(Isn't it interesting that the Digital Community isd still incapable of spelling half our language, doesn't recognize "ll" as a mispelling of "all" and of course, in spite of all my complaints, still doesn't realize "isd" is a misspelling of "is")

However, after at least an hour more of experimentation No. 2 and I were unable to find a means for deleting a Word file. Apparently, as I had been advised by No. 1, the latest Apple OpSys is massively more complex. And I was sure I must have somehow already become victim of merciless hacking, cruel digerati , until No. 1 explained no, Dad, it's just the latest Apple OpSys is 'way 'way slower at everything
So Oss thanks again, and maybe if all else fails we'll hear from Cornice; though my No. 1 advises they'd be incredibly expensive, even to deal with just one or two remaining

Edited to note (hoping No. 2 Son doesn't read this) it's asking me for passwords again
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:15 pm
@dalehileman,
You could also drop in there with your macchina, my word for my iMac, which is more antique than either you or me. Macchina = machine in italian.
I understand that may be a serious trip for you, and they are apt to need to keep it a day or two, but they are also apt to know your computer and its foibles. I'm not clear - did you call them about coming out to your place? Presumably they are in the phone book. There coming out to your place and helping you there is much preferable.

I had trouble - I forget now which episode it was, but after a pc, that is, microsoft,expert helped me out. He was good, came by my place, knew what he was doing, and wasn't particularly expensive.

The problem was, several months later, I needed to show my mac password, but my password of old didn't work. I called him, all frustrated and worried, and it turned out that he had taken the password out, left it blank. Once I knew that, I tried again, and it worked.... while blank. I would never have guessed.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 31 May, 2015 04:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm not clear - did you call them about coming out to your place?
Thru Google, Oss, I sent 'em an email letter--to their "Contact Us"

And thanks once more
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » An easy one
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:35:14