Fwded email to my son:

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:06 am
Woah, a2k old timers: Don't read this, there's a repetition or two. I'm hoping for a few newcomers

Yeah buddy I realize that I ought to go to work relearning it all but at 84 with such incredibly stupid editing provisions.....

Look fwd to your next visit if for no other reason than your brother storms out of my office in a funk, thinking he has succeeded in solving each such little problem; but then next time I fire up it has returned. So meanwhile if you get a chance, a few things to think about:

(1) Most important, how in God’s name to get rid of the need for password. Requires me after shutdown to fire up by multiple keystrokes and delays. Typically, apply power, go take a crap; later enter password, now go read newspaper for a while; returning, enter password again in another sub-block (whereupon the password request returns again), go do some yard work; come back and click on a site; go off and get the mail……etc etc

(2) Of lesser significance but how I regain my address listing. That’s the one in in black and white, used in eMail. Clicking on an entry makes it appear after “To:”

(3) Hardly critical but in the type-size icon (Typ: “Helvetica 12”) how to permanently change the “12” to “18”

(4) Least important of all, but somehow with an inadvertent keystroke I’ve initiated automatic spelling correction, which would be okay with me except that oft times when I correct the correction, it corrects my correction correction, etc etc ad infinitum

(5) No, S., just one more, even more least important, how in Her name to delete a Word file

Thanks for any help

M., did you get this one okay
I have about six different addresses for you
Yes, I know, I save the apparently latest but I’ve yet to discover a means for deleting the rest of ‘em

Oh and I wonder if by chance you might happen to know how the Digital Community selects software editing personnel. For instance, after 17 years now they still haven’t realized that “ids” is a misspelling of “is”

Oh and I understand for 11 years so far they’ve had a committee working on “hop[ing”. I’ve tried to explain, repeatedly, that this mistake owes to the probability of striking an adjacent key, that it’s a misspelling of “hoping,” which I’ve also explained as the past tense of “hope.” Evidently their difficulties revolve around the term “adjacent”….

Sorry, I know how you guys all hate me overloading your inbaskets., but I get sooo frustrated…..

Oh, edited to add (6) maybe one of the most frustrating of all: M., after the last revision, Mailboxes no longer lists all one's incoming and outgoing letters but only the ones which aren't response or replies. I considered complaining but I understand their Software Editing crew is enlisted only from applicants having an IQ of 42 or less
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 360 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:14 am
@dalehileman,
I'll let him handle the rest of that, but do you have a safari tool bar? It goes across the top of the page with the words File Edit View History Bookmarks Develop Help. Click on View. Click on zoom in. If you like the type, stay zoomed in.

Why do you always shut down your computer?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:15 am
@ossobuco,
Oops, I'm outta here.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:30 am
@dalehileman,
http://able2know.org/topic/279394-1#post-5962837
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:45 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'll let him handle the rest of that, but do you have a safari tool bar?
Oh yes indeed Oss, using it daily

Quote:
It goes across the top of the page with the words File Edit View History Bookmarks Develop Help.
Been There Done That thousands if not hundreds of thousands of times. It has been of about as little use as "Help"

Quote:
Click on View. Click on zoom in.....
BTDT now 433,505 times, with little or no success. Usually the "Zoom in" ids missing altogether

"Ids" hasn't yet been recognized by the Software Editing Community, as I might have mentioned above, as the most common misspelling of "is." I'm beginning to think they don't touch type either....

Quote:
Why do you always shut down your computer?
Again thank you Oss but just recently, after my No. 1 Son's last visit when he was unable to address any of my problems (and he's a computer expert), I've tried hitting "Sleep" instead of "Shut Down"

I've pasted notes all over the office, "Sleep," "Leave it on S," "Don't Shut Down," etc etc

....but then I forget
dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 01:25 pm
@dalehileman,
http://able2know.org/topic/279470-1
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fwded email to my son:
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:03:05