Rights at age 16

hittlam

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:17 am
My step-son is 16 and his mother has physical placement (we live in AZ and my step-son and his mother live in NC). He spends the summer months with us, however, his mother dictates the dates which he can visit, which is often problematic for us. At what point can he legally make decisions on when he visits us?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:27 am
@hittlam,
You should talk to a lawyer who specializes in family law. These cases are legally complicated, custody issues always are.

I suspect that your husband may have some rights... and he may have some legal leverage to negotiate, but I am just guessing (I am not a lawyer). Doing this without good legal counsel would certainly be foolish.

If it were me, I would set up an appointment with a good family lawyer.

Around here you can set up an initial appointment and get good advice for about $100. Some lawyers will give you a free consultation, but in my experience these are designed to get your business and aren't always the best information... I would rather just pay for 30 minutes and come prepared with questions I want answered.
jespah

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 08:38 am
@maxdancona,
Seconded, plus a lot of lawyers will do an initial consultation for free or near-free.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 11:04 am
A minor typically doesn't get to decide those sorts of things. When he turns 18, he can decide when he wants to visit, but then when he turns 18 he probably won't be subject to the visitation provisions of the divorce decree anyway. As others have pointed out, the best thing to do would be to consult an attorney.
0 Replies