Help with my essay: When choosing a career, financial gain should be the most important consideratio

Reply Fri 29 May, 2015 03:03 am
Can anybody help me and read over my essay? I'm strongly trying to improve my English. I'm a German speaker, if in result anybody needs help with German feel free to ask.

In my opinion, when choosing a career, the money you will be paid for a job should not the most important consideration. It is true that money is important to enjoy life and sleep quiet without regrets. Anyway, I believe to be happy with your job should be the most important consideration before thinking about the money.

The kind of work you have to do, is much more important than the money you will get, as you have to do a job many hours a day. I think to be happy is what everybody wants to be. In order to reach this level of happiness, it is important that you are interested in your job and like it. Imagine how great the feeling can be to stand up early in the morning, excited to go to your workplace. For example if a person hates fish and each day he has to work up to ten hours in a fish factory he will get sad and depressed, even if he gets 10000$ a month for his work. The reason is, you can not replace lifetime by money!

Moreover, when choosing a career, it is important that the environment and working atmosphere suits for you, before considering the financial gain. As already mentioned in the previous paragraph, you will spend many time of your life in a job and therefore it is important to have lovely people around. In many cases people spend more time with their co-workers than their families. Thus a comfortable workplace and a good atmosphere are also inalienable conditions when choosing a career.

In conclusion money is not everything. On the one hand financial gains are important to have a quiet night without being afraid not be able to pay your bills. However, work is part of your life, so it is much more important that you are interested in what you do and have good working conditions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,573 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Hatshepsut

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 10:44 am
@enzymhemmung,
I can't offer a full edit, but would suggest aiming for concision. The message could be delivered with fewer words. For instance, "In my opinion, job satisfaction, not salary, is the most important consideration in choosing a career, as a high salary may not compensate for the time spent in a work environment one doesn't enjoy" seems to express the entire content in a single sentence. A thesis statement like this might begin the essay. Support could then come from expanding the fish story, perhaps making it more specific and personal, as in "The case of John, a young man who didn't like the smell of fish but took a job canning fish anyway, illustrates this" (followed by a short story of what happens to John in the factory). Also note that money signs come first in English, i.e. $1000.

Audience requirements-who will read the essay and for what purpose-will decide whether you can make up a story or whether you have to research and find a real-life example. If you invent the story, it's polite to tell your reader this by adding a word: "The hypothetical case of John, a young man..."

That's only my recommendation, and I realize carrying it out in a foreign language is difficult. Best wishes to you.
0 Replies