"kid on the block"? Does it mean "(the smartphone) on the sell"?

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 08:56 pm

Context:

New Russian kid on the block joins crowded market

A Russian smartphone has joined the fierce competition between domestic vendors with some eye-catching features.

Yota Devices launched YotaPhone 2, the world's first dual screen smartphone with an always-on e-ink display, at the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Beijing on Wednesday.

"YotaPhone represents a new level of technological cooperation between Russia and China. I believe YotaPhone will be a welcome product in China," said Andrey Ivanovich Denisov, Russia's ambassador to China.

More:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/tech/2015-05/20/content_20776341.htm

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Tes yeux noirs
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 12:54 am
A new kid on the block is a new arrival in some context. In the USA, where the expression originated, the streets of many cities are arranged in a grid, thus defining 'blocks'. People who live on a block are neighbours of each other; children ("kids") living on a block will know of each other and soon learn of a new arrival, who will need to prove his or her prowess, being previously unknown.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 01:05 am
Quote:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/block#block__50

the new kid on the block
2 informal - A newcomer to a particular place or sphere of activity, typically someone who has yet to prove themselves.

Example sentences
"We're the new kids on the block in the central belt, which has brought a surge of interest among potential recruits."

"India and China, he says, are the new kids on the block and will outperform the rest of the world because they have whole-heartedly absorbed the new mantra of globalisation."

"'They are the new kids on the block and could veto this constitution before they even become a member of the union,' said one diplomat."

Quote:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/the-new-kid-on-the-block

the new kid on the block
informal - someone who is new in a place or organization and has many things to learn about it:

Realizing I was the new kid on the block in this job, I was determined to prove myself.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 01:31 am
Being the "new kid on the block" is not necessarily a bad thing. A new kid is both unproven and also potentially the source of interesting new ideas.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 24 May, 2015 08:15 am
Quite cool.
Thank you both.
0 Replies