Question about proper tense

Reply Fri 22 May, 2015 05:36 pm
Hello, maybe it might sound rude to just join the forum and ask a single question, but I'll try to make it a longer stay as much as I can... Without more ado, here's my question:

The children were covered in sand, they (were playing - have been playing - played - had been playing) on the beach.

The thing that bothers me is, if it should be were playing because there was no clear time interval mentioned in the sentence, or because they were already covered in sand, this means that they had played on the beach and finished playing already in that previous time interval before this sentence can be said so that it would be had been playing. Also how can I differentiate between both tenses in the future?

Thanks in advance for caring.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 2
No top replies

FBM

Reply Fri 22 May, 2015 06:30 pm
@mohkamfer,
mohkamfer wrote:

The children were covered in sand, they (were playing - have been playing - played - had been playing) on the beach.

If they're still playing on the beach, use simple past: were.
If they've finished playing and are now going home or something, use the past perfect: had been. The present perfect, "have been," doesn't work here because it'd be a verb tense shift. The simple past, "played," doesn't work because we use the perfect tenses to indicate that a past action, though complete, still has some relevance to the later (or present or future) state, ie the kids being covered in sand.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 May, 2015 07:21 pm
@mohkamfer,
Welcome to a2k.

FBM pretty much nailed the tense question.

A copy of The Elements of Style by Strunk and White would be a good investment.

Read up on the comma splice.
0 Replies