Republicans Compete Over Who Wants Most U.S. Troops in Iraq

revelette2

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 01:27 pm
It seems as though republicans never learn from their disastrous mistakes. Bernie Sanders has a nice collection of statements concerning Iraq made by those either drumming up the war or trying justify it after the fact.

Flashback: What Neocons Told Us about Iraq

Quote:

Dick Cheney

. "I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency." June 20, 2005 (Source)
. "I think things have gotten so bad inside Iraq, from the standpoint of the Iraqi people, my belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. . . . I think it will go relatively quickly, . . . (in) weeks rather than months." March 16, 2003 (Source)
. “Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction. There is no doubt he is amassing them to use against our friends, against our allies, and against us.” (Source)
. "If we had to do it over again we would do exactly the same thing.” September 13, 2006 (Source)
. “What we did in Iraq was exactly the right thing to do. If I had it to recommend all over again, I would recommend exactly the same course of action.” October 5, 2004 (Source)

Bill Kristol

. “Very few wars in American history were prepared better or more thoroughly than this one by this president.” July 15, 2007 (Source)
. "This is going to be a two month war, not an eight year war." March 28, 2003 (Source)
. "There has been a certain amount of pop sociology... that the Shi'a can't get along with the Sunni... there's almost no evidence of that at all.” April 4, 2003 (Fox News w/ Bill O’Reilly)
. "“The first two battles of this new era are now over. The battles of Afghanistan and Iraq have been won decisively and honorably.” April 28, 2003 (Source)
. “… there are hopeful signs that Iraqis of differing religious, ethnic, and political persuasions can work together. This is a far cry from the predictions made before the war by many, both here and in Europe, that a liberated Iraq would fracture into feuding clans and unleash a bloodbath.” March 22, 2004 (Source)
. “… the continuing debates over the terms of a final constitution, have in fact demonstrated something remarkable in Iraq: a willingness on the part of the diverse ethnic and religious groups to disagree--peacefully--and then to compromise.” March 22, 2004 (Source)

Paul Wolfowitz

. “There's a lot of money to pay for this. It doesn't have to be U.S. taxpayer money. We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction, and relatively soon.” March 27, 2003 (Source)
. On weapons of mass destruction: “There's no question in my mind that there was something there. There are just too many pieces of evidence and we'll get to the bottom of it.” August 1, 2003 (Source)
. “Some of the higher-end predictions that we have been hearing recently, such as the notion that it will take several hundred thousand U.S. troops to provide stability in post-Saddam (Hussein) Iraq, are wildly off the mark.” February 27, 2003 (Source)
. "It's hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war itself and to secure the surrender of Saddam’s security forces and his army. Hard to imagine." Feb. 27, 2003 (Source)
. "Peacekeeping requirements in Iraq might be much lower than historical experience in the Balkans suggests. There's been none of the record in Iraq of ethnic militias fighting one another that produced so much bloodshed and permanent scars in Bosnia along with the requirement for large policing forces to separate those militias.” Feb. 27, 2003 (Source)
. “These are Arabs, 23 million of the most educated people in the Arab world, who are going to welcome us as liberators.” Feb. 27, 2003 (Source)
. "The Iraqi people understand what this crisis is about. Like the people of France in the 1940s, they view us as their hoped-for liberator.” March 11, 2003 (Source)
. "The truth is that for reasons that have a lot to do with the U.S. government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue that everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction, as the core reason." May 28, 2003 (Source)

0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 01:32 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CF3V-etUMAAieU2.jpg
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 07:58 pm
@Ionus,
OOO and a smiley face to boot. Say asshole did you contribute to the death of the soldier that that woman is morning? No? Are you not one who wants to see more of our troops in Iraq where the citizens are not interested in fighting for their own land and freedom. Why in the hell should we get involved in another Vietnam? Just for your information even though I am 79 years old I aint little and if we ever meet face to face I will demonstrate to you that I am not mealy mouthed. I speak my own mind, not what my masters on fax news and the other conservative politicians that control brain dead pricks like you want me to say and believe. I was going to say have a nice day but I have changed my mind and instead will say drop dead. Not figuratively, I mean actually prick.
Ionus

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 08:26 pm
@RABEL222,
Ouch ! Oh, you so mean ! Big tough 79 year old mealy mouthed hater . No, I did not contribute to the death of that soldier . People like you do contribute to the 22+ suicides of soldiers former and present every day in the USA alone . Your vindictiveness and hatred, telling everyone what a failure our troops are, if only people listened to you and let you run the world then the terrorists would sit down and discuss over some nice tea, not too hot, and then maybe some karaoke . You are too old to be reasoned with, as the young and the old are the most belligerent . The young because they see things simplistically due to a lack of experience, and the old because they want change before they die .

Were you one of those do drugs, **** everything with 2 or 4 legs, spit on soldiers in uniform types during Vietnam ? Or did you run and hide in Canada ?
RABEL222

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 08:45 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
People like you do contribute to the 22+ suicides of soldiers former and present every day in the USA alone . Your vindictiveness and hatred, telling everyone what a failure our troops are, if only people listened to you and let you run the world then the terrorists would sit down and discuss over some nice tea, not too hot, and then maybe some karaoke .

You are crying about why I call you names, well read this part of your last post and understand I hate liers, and you are a king among them prick. That I contribute to suicides is bullshit. You dont know me from adam but as you are a lieing prick you claim that I do. You are a lieing peace of ****. Do you think that there is anyone on this site that believes a word you utter other than the other bullshit masters who post here with you. If you do think so than you are even more delusional than I ever imagined. I am mostly through with you because I dont like to post to people who are lying pieces of ****.
Ionus

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 09:33 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
You are crying about why I call you names
Not at all ! Continue, please...I understand you have a very deep need to hate . I was pointing out what should be obvious . You are a hateful, nasty and probably violent old fart who has no ability t0 understand what telling soldiers how they failed can do to them .
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 06:41 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Ted_SHRED/image.jpg1_zpshzz4qjfg.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 06:42 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CF4Ods4VIAAJmSp.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 06:48 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 07:14 am

For those who blame Obama for what is happening in Iraq, some facts...

Obama wanted to keep about 10K troops in Iraq (which I admit is lower than what the Pentagon and Iraq wanted at the time), but the Iraqis would not drop their demand to have the right to charge and prosecute U.S. soldiers for crimes under their law (which George W. Bush allowed to be put in the agreement negotiated right before he left office).

The United States was not going to stay unless our troops had immunity. It tried to renegotiate that component, but the Maliki government said 'no.'

Below is a PDF of the Status of Forces Agreement negotiated by George W. Bush right before he left office, which gave Iraq authority to charge and prosecute our people.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/world/20081119_SOFA_FINAL_AGREED_TEXT.pdf

Take a look at Article 12 and Article 22.
Ionus

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 07:57 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I paste this exact same cartoon in this exact same thread http://able2know.org/topic/278292-1#post-5959292and it gets marked down . Bobsyboy posts it later and gets marked up . Laughing Way to go A2K...very good post though...I liked it .
revelette2

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 08:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Obama opponents always have selective memories when it comes to their accusations, depending on which argument they are making at the time.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 11:23 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Wow, 'motherless passionate', I wish I had coined that. Bravo
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 05:54 am
@Ionus,
Stop being such a Dick.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:01 am
@revelette2,
Its amusing to me, too. My wife now says whenever something goes wrong, like a bulb burning out - Obama did it. Cracks me up every time.

Anytime anyone makes a crack about "Obama phones", I correct them - they're actually Reagan phones.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Stop stealing other's posts, you silly old fart . Still going to assault me ? Beat me up ? Maybe kill me ? Very Happy Fairly stupid dont you think given you know nothing about me except you hate me ? Still, it wouldnt be a bad way for you to go out...I'd be quick and merciful . Wink
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 07:24 am
@Ionus,
Pull your head out of your butt. I don't think much of you at all, and don't think about you much at all. What I do know about you is you're a loud mouthed punter with not a single substantiated opinion in your possession.

I wouldn't dream of laying a hand on you. I wouldn't dream of even wanting to be in the same room with you. I leave that adolescent crap up to you.
Ionus

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 08:16 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I owe you an apology .
Quote:
Stop stealing other's posts, you silly old fart . Still going to assault me ? Beat me up ? Maybe kill me ? Very Happy Fairly stupid dont you think given you know nothing about me except you hate me ? Still, it wouldnt be a bad way for you to go out...I'd be quick and merciful . Wink
This post was in error . It was directed at rabies666 . I offer no excuse, but the reasons were, I was tired and it was late and I confused two posts by the time I came to reply . Please accept my apology .
0 Replies

JohnFromPisbo

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 06:04 pm
ionu: You're truely evil, mate. Shame on you, your mother weeps.
0 Replies