I am just tired, very depressed?!!!

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 08:28 am
I am 23. My parents keep forcing me to do things I don't want to do.
I left college. Just dropped out and didn't complete my graduation. I haven't been to college since I dropped out, which was in 2011.

They keep taunting over it that I did not complete my graduation and how its so important to finish my graduation from a reputed college and get good grades and get a prestigious job.

They compare me to children of their relatives and friends about how academically superior they are , how much money they are making by securing jobs at prized companies.

I am rally fed up of all this. This is NOT what I want to do. Or which will make me happy.

I want to do something different and unique. I don't care about money or prestigious jobs. I don't care about graduation.
I want to travel the world, see different places and explore new countries and cultures.

I am very much involved in animal welfare and I want to help animals and do some substantial work in the area where I can help animal who are abused or are tortured for pleasure.
I want to help homeless people and old people so that I can make their lives better, or at least do something which can improve their lives.

I don't want to do the common stuff everyone is doing. I want to be different and make a mark in this world.
I can never be happy with what everyone else does. IT company jobs or anything related to such is not my cup of tea.

I like variety of things. I want to be an explorer, an activist, a photographer, someone famous, who can inspire and help others reach a level where people can help everyone that is needy, be it animal or man.

Obeying rules is not my cup of tea because I have been a rebellious person my entire life.
I dont go by traditions or rules but I definitely cannot live just for myself.

Its not that I don't like luxury or comfortable living. I love it but at the same time, these are my interests and dreams.
I want to be someone who is not doing what is common. I just want to fulfil my aspirations.

My parents wont listen because they are set in their values. They also have a very horrible married life and are always quarrelling. Since I was a child, I have only witnessed fights.

I am already frustrated with my life. I also like someone very much but he's beyond my reach. Maybe I can never have him in this life, so that is another cause for my acute depression.

Please help me . What can I do to fulfill my aspirations? Am I wrong in my ideals?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,256 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 08:42 am
@tammysmith22,
Your aspirations and ideals are fine. They just need some focus. You can't be Iron Man, running off to solve this crisis or that. You will, at some point, need to make some decisions.

In the meantime, a degree would be helpful. It (almost) doesn't matter what it's in. Why? Because over the course of your life, you'll make a good one million dollars (cue the Dr. Evil voice) more than someone who didn't finish college. That's not anywhere near enough to make you wealthy. It's more like an extra $20k/year for 50 years of work. It can often make the difference between crushing debt and none, or buying a house or not, or being able to travel and save money for retirement instead of living on ramen. Most college grads aren't super-wealthy, but it's a way to pull yourself out of what can rapidly turn into poverty if your folks pull the safety net out from under you.

You need not go into IT. Lots of people don't. But consider what you want to do, or at least what you think you might want to do. It might require an MA. Another reason to finish your BA. Plus you'll get a sense of accomplishment that might help with some of your depression.

As for helping people, how about joining the Peace Corps for a year? You're at a great stage in life to do this.

But no matter what you do, I would suggest that you seek counseling. Talk to a professional about how you are feeling. Depression is not just feelings of being down; it may be interfering with your being able to focus on a particular career or academic goal, or with going for the relationship you want.

All the best to you.
0 Replies

GorDie

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 10:26 am
@tammysmith22,
tell me a little bit about your religious perspective.

I think we might be able to be very good friends.
0 Replies