Australian cities don't do snow, or do they?

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 02:13 am
Does it snow in Australian cities?

Dorothea Mackellar:

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,467 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 04:19 am
@ascribbler,
http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.4518906.6536/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 05:25 am
@Lordyaswas,
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/uk/news/articles/extreme-weather/spring-storm-brings-snow-to-sydney/37854/
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 05:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
What, a couple of inches . . . what a bunch of pussies . . . they can come back and talk to me when they've got seven feet of snow in the front yard.
usery

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 06:01 am
@Setanta,
Weather permitting, a couple of inches and a bunch of pussies.

Light snow generally falls every winter in Canberra (Australia's capital city) however, and other cities that may receive regular seasonal snowfalls include Orange, Lithgow and Katoomba in New South Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 07:26 am
@Setanta,
When my two "aussie" sisters came over here and experienced snow for the first time in 30 years, they both went completely bonkers and had to go out and dance in the street.
One of them moved to Tasmania bacause she got so sick and tired of Perth's monotonously boring blue sky and the searing temperatures.

She now has snow every winter, and has been known to have a celebration barbie out there when the white stuff has settled all around.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 12:53 am
Snow would be nice, but too many times I have experienced sleet and THAT is just miserable .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 25 May, 2015 10:36 am
I've never known it to snow in Sydney and I've lived here a good number of years. None of the main cities, except Canberra, get snow.

Lordy's photo has been doctored,,,, and the snow report was not in Sydney, but in the mountain to the west, where they usually get some snow a few times a year.

We can have fierce storms, with flooding. A couple of years back I was at a concert in the Opera House and at the end of the concert an announcement was made about a heavy storm with lots of hail. Some of the exits were blocked with up to a metre or so of hailstones which had been blown against the doors.

It took about an hour to get home and my garden was still covered with hailstones (looked like snow!) and my concrete lion looked bloody chilly.
0 Replies