The "atheism" thread locked, yet again, eh?

layman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 02:26 pm
There I was, trying to respond to a sincere and meaningful post made by Jo, and WAMMO--thread closed.

We (finally) got that bitch fight under control, ya know (thanks to Neo). All the reasons for "re-opening" that venerable thread that existed before would seem, to me, at least, to still stand, notwithstanding the temporary "diversion." Who amongst us has "pull" with the hamsters? It aint me, Babe.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 6,777 • Replies: 72

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:02 pm
I gave up on that thread. I don't care any longer who posts what on it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:07 pm
@layman,
I suspect it's a cooling off period, a good idea overall if so.

My post is true, an example of some of the many possible interactions, dealings, atheists have with the religious in real life, and of the possible varied emotions/feelings that can go with that, in my case this time pretty good in the interaction but somewhat weird to me in circumstance and feelings - but I also was curious if it would be rolled over with the usual voluminous spatting, and it was. Test taken. I did notice someone posted it up, or I think I did. Didn't look at it later past the first few afterposts.
roger

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too! I didn't even like seeing it in the New Post list. On the other hand, I was able to collapse it without any help from the moderators.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:11 pm
@roger,
Yes, I collapsed it. I did it as much out of respect for littlek as anything.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:17 pm
Thing is, losing Edgarb who has posted for a long time/at times on the thread, and Roger, who has eschewed the thread in my memory but I bet has useful observations (we've met), is a net loss.

Part of my interest in some old a2k threads recently is that many of them - no not all, at all - had decent argumentative discussions, some of them damned interesting. We seem to have lost a lot of that quality.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:34 pm
I shared littlek's vision of a thread for commiseration and conversation. She did not invite arguments. When she opened the door for deists and agnostics to post, it was not so they could question atheism, but to converse as friends. Atheists did not need to be questioned on there. There are any number of threads where that was already underway. The deists came flooding in every time atheists began anything. So finally I decided to let them have it, for my part. Long, long, after littlek became so disgusted she left a2k altogether.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:47 pm
@layman,
May this one live on.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:54 pm
The atheists in this forum are becoming crybabies...always getting so proprietary about atheist threads. There is no such thing as directing a thread to a certain tone or direction...threads go and veer as they will. If a theist dared to speak about a theistic thread the way some atheists speak of their atheistic threads...you guys would be all over them.

Man up!

There may be gods...there may not be any. It appears as though no one in this forum knows for sure.

Anything beyond acknowledging that we do not know is simply sharing blind guesses.

What is the big deal about questioning blind guesses?

That demeaning thread of Edgar's...with the dog substituting for the god of the theists...is no thing of beauty. Some of the remarks from atheists in the theistic threads reek.

Get over the indignation...and the indignant ought to get over themselves.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:58 pm
I share littlek's intent.
I am not comfortable with repeat derision, mainly since it is a mix of distraction and thread ruining.
I changed my religious views over a batch of years pretty radically, a procedure which is trying to the person, but useful to understand others. I'm not against people of faith, much less agnostics, unless they get up my nose or others' noses, which, y'know, happens all too often in the world at large in heinous ways oft mixed with territorial matters.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:08 pm
IF Kris' "intent" was to dictate the direction and conditions of a particular thread here in A2K...she was either dreaming...or dreaming.

There is no way it should be the intent of anyone...no matter what "the intent" is. Threads go the way threads go...not only here, but at every forum in which I have been a participant.

To fret, fume, or express indignation because an "intent" of that sort did not work out in an Internet forum...is naive beyond comprehension.

I apologize for my part in the crap that Neo managed to stop. I should have come up with that solution on my own.

But the indignation from people who have conducted regular squabbles polluting other threads...is laughable.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:22 pm
See here, now, why littlek left able2know? Nuff said.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
No, 'nuff not said.

If Kris left A2K for being A2K...it was a waste...because A2K will always be A2K...and that includes a healthy dose of nastiness...which you, Edgar, are often an integral part of.

neologist

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:44 pm
C'mon folks.
I come here to be dazzled by your clever aphorisms of disbelief.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:54 pm
@neologist,
The only "disbelief" there is with the atheists...is the "disbelief" in what theists "believe."

They do not "disbelieve" their "beliefs" that there are no gods.

Neither theists nor atheists can easily acknowledge that we do not know...and that the "evidence" for and against is so ambiguous...a meaningful guess cannot be made.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:57 pm
@neologist,
There are joke threads for that.

Oh, wait..

Anyway, for quite some time, there was a partial leeway at the least for thread intent, as a lot of us are fine with digression but not usually forever. There is an assumption of thread maker mildly overlooking. Courtesy, actually, re arguing. We are still capable of that, I hope.
The subject is the subject.

I mostly don't care except for my distastes for people who took a course in philosophy who need to rant.

Courtesy's absence is a loss.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh for Christ's sake Frank, can't you just put a plug in it. You're a bright guy, why do you waste your time in little pissing contests. Not everything negative needs to be taken as a swipe at your manhood, lighten up while you still can. Do you think your dying words are going to be "damn, I really put that asshole in his place"? Life is too short to waste on non stop insults.
neologist

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry, Frank.
Not dazzled.
I thought you said you don't do believing.
Ain't that disbelief?
layman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Damn, Glitter, you really put that asshole in his place.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:12 pm
Frank is about 50% of the problem. The other fifty percent is more random. Anyway, bitch fights no longer entertain me. I will be collapsing this thread before I shut down for the night.