Americans vs. Canadians

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:09 am
http://fiakercaps.hsw.at/Stomlin%20Tom%20Connors.jpg'

This man?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:17 am
What about Dan Aykroyd, Alexander Graham Bell, John Cabot, Jacques Cartier, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Donald Sutherland, Michael J. Fox, Alexander MacKenzie, Celine Dion?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:22 am
Cabot and Cartier are hardly to be considered Canadians.

For every Canajun to be proud of, there's someone like Celine Dion, Alex Trebec or William Shatner.

This is a no-win game we've played here many times . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:23 am
Yeah. Besides, we've got Michael Jackson and Cochise.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:24 am
OK Cabot and Cartier aren't real Canadians, though they can be find on the site of CBC.

By the way: William Shatner? The guy from Startrek? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:25 am
can be found...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:43 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
http://fiakercaps.hsw.at/Stomlin%20Tom%20Connors.jpg'

This man?

That's the one.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamAlbumsC/connors_stompin_tom.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:55 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
OK Cabot and Cartier aren't real Canadians, though they can be find on the site of CBC.

By the way: William Shatner? The guy from Startrek? Rolling Eyes

William Shatner was an English speaking Montrealer who studied theatre at my alma mater, McGill University. When I was there, a group of us started a campaign, as a joke, to rename the 'Student Center' the 'William Shatner Student Center'. To our immense surprise, the votes were overwhelming, and the name was changed. It sort of started with some people involved in the improv comedy troupe:

McGill Improv
(Formerly McGill Improv Theatresports)
McGill University,
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Performs at:

AlleyCats Blues/Jazz Bar (Formerly The Alley)
3480 McTavish Street, Montreal
(William Shatner Student Centre: Basement level)

Performs on Wednesday nights during the school year. Occasional Monday night "rookie" shows at Gert's Pub, also located in the Shatner student centre. Free Admission.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:03 am
Sounds cool cavfancier.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:13 am
How about Dudley Do-Right, the hero of the Royal Canadian Mountie Police? He is my favorite Canadian.

Happy Canada Day!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:38 am
How 'bout them McKenzie brothers, eh?

Beer an' back bacon, what more can ya ask, eh?

I'm goin' down ta Coffee Time fer some coffee and doughnuts . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:10 am
Stomping Tom is brilliant, eh.

He performed at a Labour Day concert in my hometown the night before I left for university. It couldn't have made things more perfect. Tom and his songs have provided so many markers for my life. Places I've lived, places I've travelled to, things I've done. The ultimate Canajun reference point.

Years ago, I went on a little road trip with hamburger, mrs. hamburger and a couple of their friends. I had a Stomping Tom c.d. along. We all sang along, and hamburger's buddy told us his stories of working in the tobacco fields - memories brought to the surface by Stomping Tom.

psssssst, cav, have you heard any of K.D. Lang's new c.d.? Amazing. Amazing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:11 am
Labour Day . . . is that anything like our Labor Day holiday ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:19 am
pfffffft
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 08:23 am
i think (sorry for exaggerating), that Canada is best exemplified by the current situation on Toronto streets; there are cars driving around honking their horns raucously, and waving Portuguese, or Greek, or sundry other flags, all related of course, to the European soccer championship currently into its final days.

None of this has anything to do with a 'camping in Canada, only' mentality; but about the embracing of the mutual acceptance of, and respect for each others origins, and the richness that all these 'histories' add to the deepening reserve of 'culture'; which is, after all, what life is really 'about'!

Nationalism in Canada, is "any excuse for a party, or celebration", and has nothing to do with world dominance, or shoving our way of life down anyone elses throat!
[we'll get to that later - right now there's beer to be drunk, and girls to be kissed!]
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 09:40 am
and to what was that a reference Bo? are we practicing our revisionism lessons today?In the US war for Independence a good 1/3 of the Loyalist "world domination" types ran up to New Brunswick? Thereby leaving us hick mountain folk with the free time and wherewithall to develop the world famous cuisine that we call Barbequed pork Ribs.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 11:58 am
My ancestors we some of thos folks who moved to New Brunswick to explore new opportunities.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:23 pm
oops, well what hockey team did they play for?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:31 pm
farmerman, I think you'd like it around here today. There's a major thoroughfare (the Danforth) closed for about 10 blocks to allow a great street celebration that just *poof* appeared as a result of Greece's victory in Euro Soccer this afternoon. The grills are going full force (I can smell the souvlaki from here). The combination of Canada Day and a Greek soccer victory is making my part of the world giddy right now. If I step outside the door (which I will, to go back for more Canada Day fun) there will be beer on offer from almost every neighbour. Greece Won!
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 06:05 pm
Cool! How exciting!
0 Replies