neologist

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 12:18 pm
@Ionus,
Some folks have fan clubs.
Better than being ignored, I guess.
Ionus

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 12:27 pm
@neologist,
Very Happy Thanks Neo...I was just discussing the thumbs on another thread with SAAB . What are they supposed to provide to the reader anyway ? They seem to be used mostly by the petty to enact grudges . I have even been thumbed down on the nature thread so I am definitely being stalked . How innocuous is it to discuss cute animals ?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 01:44 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Some folks have fan clubs.
Better than being ignored, I guess.

I overheard someone say once "Well, if they're talking about me behind my back, at least they're not talking about others."
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:13 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Would find new things at a great price, and then resell

Quote:
Found Soul, if you don't mind me asking, what do you sell?

Myself Smile No seriously.

I keep branching out into different directions as I have a passion for a lot of things. For the main stream, I own a business in Real Estate, sales and property management and the occasional buyers agent. Then as I make over houses with accessories, I commenced a business in that direction and am just about to go in with another lady who will promote that side, to other Agents.

THEN, I'm getting married in November. I've had a passion for vintage/rustic, 1800's for years and years. So in putting things together I was getting a few likes, started a face-book page on staging weddings (hire) plus flowers/cakes and had 100 likes in a week, doing 4 weddings at present.

So I make stuff and it's more vintage with rustic on e-bay you can only get rustic alone.. And from the making over homes I "had" a shop as well and I have a lot of things in storage, let's not start with clothes I bought that don't fit or aren't me. So I wasn't really looking "yet" at a store, maybe. More of selling stuff on there. I have got some real bargains on there but actually more so face-book for the wedding side..

At the moment I want to get rid of all the stuff sitting in storage from the shop, via e-bay.. Face-book seems to take longer or I might even try gum tree.

I don't think with all that I do that I could seriously open a "shop" online I'd never get any sleep!!!

It is interesting to see how it all works from your side and others that are selling on there.. Good topic. No hi-jack even better Smile

Mmmmm 2 Cha Cha Cha jewellery Smile
ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:19 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
Face-book seems to take longer or I might even try gum tree.

if you find the right FB group, things can go lightning fast if they're desirable.

I've seen furniture (continental) and clothing (a couple of local swap/sell groups) go in literally seconds. Now that FB has added a sale option in those groups, you've got to refresh constantly if you know someone with good stuff is posting.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:24 pm
@ehBeth,
This is true in the furniture department .. I am broke this month!!! Seriously, I bought a rustic ladder for $40 another smaller one for $30, a darn 100 year old in awesome condition rustic wooden ironing board (using for cake displays) a large crate for $10, old school desk (using as a prop for a wishing well) for around $30.. David is wondering when I intend to stop Smile

Clothes not so. Anything over $10 not so. For me it's also my location. I can't join groups that are say 30 minutes away that "would" buy some of the items I have because it has to be local and my "local" like $5, $10. On the flip side, what I have purchased is amazing in price, in an antique store they would al be $80 - $150 ..

Guess this is why I am trying to work out where to get rid of stuff I don't want so I can keep buying haha, more so have Roommmm in my house.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 04:30 pm
Chai token jewelry? Token jewelry chai? Token chai jewels?

Game token trinkets.
or Token trinkets
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 16 May, 2015 05:15 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FS - I find it facinating what people enjoy getting into.

I can see where people like to get into the hunt, finding items, selling to others that like the same things, or the things you've found.

Back when I was first casually messing around on ebay, I found a type of collectible item that people really liked, and the profit margin was huge. I could literally buy the item from a thrift store for $1 and sell it for $35, plus charging as much shipping as I liked.

I quickly realized though that I thoroughly, totally hated the process of shipping stuff. The act of boxing things of various sizes (not like there was a lot of variety of sizes), weighing, making sure it wouldn't break, schlepping to the post office (even if it was a stop on the way home from work) was a total joy sucker for me.

I knew exactly where to search for this collectible, it would not have been my thing to spend all day going from one place to another "finding" stuff. Sometimes I'd come across something while on my daily routine, but shopping has never been my idea of fun.

You know, I think it's funny when I hear people say "All you have to do is take a picture, post it, ship it." Like you snap your fingers and some oddly shaped, heavy item just finds its way into a box of the correct size, in such a way that nothing will break, and that you just happen to have all the correct size boxes just right there.

For some people, that might be great fun. Not for me.

Oh! Also, whenever you read anything about "how to make money on ebay" the first, and many times only piece of advice is "look around your house and sell the things you don't want anymore." Well, I don't need these skis, or this unicycle, or this plastic ruler...I'll just sell it.

That always reminds me articles on how to save X amount of dollars of year. You know of course what is always the first thing on their list. "Stop buying starbucks on your way to work every day." Riiiiight. Like if I cut back on a starbucks habit that I don't even have, and pack a lunch from home twice a week (you did spend money on that food you know), all my finances will fall into place.

As anyone who's ever sold off ebay or the like knows, it's not as simple as selling your unwanted stuff to someone else, or even that anyone will want to buy it. Then, you end up with a garage or room in your house full of stuff.

Hey, buying vintage stuff and trying to resell it might be the best thing since sliced bread for someone who enjoys the hunting and gathering, packing and shipping. Not my bag.

Over time, I developed firm guidelines for myself as far as what when and how. If I didn't, I wouldn't enjoy it.

OH! This is a real "BTW"...

Ya'll realize I'm not named chai, right? Of course you do. I just keep finding it funny that people are coming up with clever names that would mean nothing outside of A2K.

Hey Sound Soul, how about you calling your store "Found Soul's Findings"? Laughing

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 03:35 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Hey Sound Soul, how about you calling your store "Found Soul's Findings"?

Bahahahaha... I will reply more in full tomorrow when I's get some sleep.

I'm just too busy laughing that " ya all realise that's not my real name and ya's coming up with name with chai".

Well shirt woman, Sound Soul - sounds friggen good to me now to decide what to sell under that name Wink

Chic, chick, domino effect jewellery!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:19 am
@chai2,
I got nothin. The only thing my aged mind could come up ith were kinda lame.

ALL BLINGS CONSIDERED (youd have to listen to PBS radio to get it)

FACETIOUS (a take off on facet , youd have to separate the facet from facetious by color maybe-hey whatya want for nothin)

CITY LIGHTS (Theres an art gallery with that name-sometimes "connecting up" with a known name gets you started and its so far apart you probably wont get sued.

E -BAY-SMENT STUFF (or EBASEMENT I dont care its your place)

THE CRYSTAL CABACHON (pretentious sounded but meaningless)

LONESTAR LOMA-A loma is what you guys down there call a little hummock (s youd find in the Hill country)--Maybe you can **** around with that so it doesnt sound too much like word fog.

TRESURES FROM THE TRAIL--kinda celebrating that Texas bullshit
ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 09:50 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Texas bullshit

now there's a store name no one will forget Laughing
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:13 am
I can’t think of a good name for a jewelry store but this thread reminded me of a friend of mine who opened her own Hair Salon and called it “Curl Up and Dye” Razz
chai2

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:25 am
@jcboy,
That's a great name.

There used to be this dog grooming salon a few blocks from me, was there for years and years.

It was called "Doggie Styles" Shocked
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:51 am
Game Bits and Pieces.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 10:56 am
@chai2,
It would certainly get my attention Razz
neologist

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
. . .EBASEMENT . . .
I suppose if you're into that sorta stuff, you could call it. . .
ABASEMENT
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 02:02 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

It would certainly get my attention Razz

I was really sad when they closed. I'm pretty sure they were there much more than 20 years.
I guess the owner(s) retired.

It made me think I would want to open a shop all about skin care and call it "For Skin"
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 04:48 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Back when I was first casually messing around on ebay, I found a type of collectible item that people really liked, and the profit margin was huge. I could literally buy the item from a thrift store for $1 and sell it for $35, plus charging as much shipping as I liked.

I've noticed this exactly on face-book. I "do" enjoy hunting around all the op shops, love it. The buyers are here in my State. The Wedding Industry is huge. I'm not sure if I want to attempt E-Bay other than what you have stated, shirt I have so many clothes and things lying around in U-Store it from my previous shop, but I still might.. I do think that it works "locally" very well.

Shipping? You purchase for $1 and then pay $15 to get it, doesn't add up sometimes ..
chai2

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:56 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Shipping? You purchase for $1 and then pay $15 to get it, doesn't add up sometimes ..

No, I'd buy something locally for $1, sell it to someone for $35, plus charge them whatever the shipping cost, plus a little to cover your fees on that.

Now, since I'm making my own products, I know all the suppliers I'll buy from that offer free shipping mostly. I know exactly how much it costs to make each of the various things I make. That's including the shipping supplies like envelopes and small boxes.
I like it this way a whole lot better than if I had, like you, all these different article of lets say clothing. You'd need to figure for each one what to charge, or if one thing weighs more than another, how that'll effect your bottom line. At least with clothes though you can mostly just put them in largish bubble packs.

Right now, with the ebay discount it costs me $1.93 to ship something to the customer, and I charge them $2.50. Yesterday someone bought 3 things, but it still only cost me $1.93, and they got charged the same $2.50. But my profit margin was way higher.
chai2

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 07:19 pm
@chai2,
For me, another reason I like it better this way is because sometimes when I was reselling, I'd feel kind of guilty about it.

I'd think to myself "You could easily have gone out and found this and bought it for a few dollars, but instead you're willing to pay so many times more, plus shipping." It wasn't like I was spending so much time getting the items. I would literally stop at one of the thrift stores I'd drive by on the way to where I was going anyway, go in for less than 5 or 10 minutes, and go on with my day. They could have done that just as easily. I didn't feel like I was forcing anyone to buy something, it was more like, well, like I wanted to tell these people they could just get it themselves.

Now, I like knowing I've put my effort and care into making a trinket that the buyer would have had to spend much more than what I charge to just make the one item they want. Also, they may not know, but I know that it takes a good eye for it to come out correctly, and patience as it take up to 48 hours for the product to cure (and not get cat hair, dust or the dreaded resin won't behave the way I want it to Sad )
0 Replies