US grandmother gets life in prison for forcing granddaughter to run to death

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 02:56 am
http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/world/us-grandmother-gets-life-in-prison-for-forcing-granddaughter-to-run-to-death/story-fnjbobed-1227351521986

Quote:
A GRANDMOTHER who killed her 9-year-old granddaughter by forcing her to run around the backyard until she collapsed has been sentenced to life in jail without the possibility for parole.

US woman Joyce Hardin Garrard, 50, dodged the death penalty after being convicted of the captial murder of Savannah Hardin, who died in February 2012 while being punished for telling a lie about eating candy.

The defence has pleaded for a life sentence.
The defence has pleaded for a life sentence.

Garrard made her granddaughter run for hours while carrying sticks outside her Alabama home until she collapsed, vomited and was hospitalised. She eventually died several days later after being taken off life support. An autopsy revealed extreme physical exhaustion was to blame.

“Joyce and Savannah were in the yard, and Joyce was telling Savannah to keep running,” a neighbour told her trail. “She was just saying, ‘Keep running, I didn’t tell you to stop.’”

After collpasing on the ground and being sick, the court heard Garrard shouted at the little girl: “Get up! I better not have to tell you again!”

Prosecutors had sought the death penalty but said they were satisfied with the jury’s suggestion of life after the trial.

Deputy District Attorney Marcus Reid had asked jurors to recommend the death penalty following the conviction.

“This case is the only case I know of where the perpetrator forced the victim to participate in her own death,” he told jurors. “Joyce Garrard forced Savannah Hardin to help kill herself.”

But the defence and relatives pleaded for life. Garrard told jurors she didn’t mean to harm the girl. Garrard testified that she was actually helping Savannah, who wanted to do better in foot races at school.

“(Savannah) asked me to coach her. Instead of coming in second in her running class at school she wanted to come in first,” said Garrard.

How long did this little girl run for to die............................

Disgusting

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,415 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 03:18 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Good to hear of the sentencing.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 03:29 am
@roger,
I was just gob smacked over this.

Usually I put something up which discusses what the outcome would be but you are right, the sentencing fitted this perfectly. I wonder how the Mother is feeling over all of this and what occurred.

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 06:47 am
That poor girl. She must have been terrified of her grandmother -- I can't think of any other reason she would have kept running past the point of exhaustion. She must have thought that whatever would have happened if she quit was worse than the running itself.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 07:29 am
@boomerang,
Actually, this seemed to be the punishment for lying about some candy she took from a classmate in the school bus.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 07:32 am
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
I wonder how the Mother is feeling over all of this and what occurred.
Her stepmother is charged with murder.

Perhaps, journalists haven't found and interviewed her mother until now - most certainly such would have been published by now (it happened in February 2012).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 07:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't think what she was being punished for even matters.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 May, 2015 08:55 am
@boomerang,
I'd read it here:
Quote:
The child’s stepmother, Jessica Mae Hardin, is charged with murder and awaiting a separate trial.
Source

Yesterday, the WaPo had some more information:
Quote:
In the end, prosecutors determined that two women were responsible for Hardin’s death: Garrard and Hardin’s stepmother, Jessica Hardin, who was also charged with murder. Prosecutors have accused Hardin of failing to intervene in Garrard’s treatment of her stepdaughter. Hardin is still awaiting trial and plans to plead not guilty.
Source
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 03:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/19/they-ran-my-little-girl-to-death.html

Poor little soul was amongst a bitter custody battle for years. Her Step-Mother's relationship with her was also to be questioned and Savannah ended up in counselling. Her Father continued to find ways to ensure her Mother couldn't see her and succeeded.

She, Savannah, also had a condition that couldn't be labelled and chocolate was to be avoided. But, I am betting that "she" Savannah who resembled a mini me, of her Mother was despised because of that. Her Grandmother and Step-Mother were the major parents in her life, as her Father was a way a lot in the Military. Her Grandmother seemingly was the "boss" of everything and had to win herself. Like Mother, like Son.

This is another case whereby people hear things, see things their guard goes up and they do nothing ... including the neighbours, the bus driver, the counsellor, even perhaps the Judge.

The Father is very, questionable. Does not sound as if there was any love there, rather a pure desire to WIN at all costs, any child. He also filed suits against his "now" wife.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Robert and Jessica had been going through a divorce and custody dispute as well. Records show an environment far from stable. Robert’s divorce complaint charged Savannah’s stepmother with verbal and emotional abuse. He claimed she had a drinking problem and suffered from bipolar disorder that she refused to treat.

Jessica, in turn, filed for a restraining order against Robert in August 2010. In her petition, she said Robert had become physically and mentally abusive. He “pushed her against a wall and threw her on the couch” and threatened her. “Robert has said I will never be allowed to see my son and will do whatever it take to make sure of it,” the complaint says.

Quote:
Though Heather didn’t know it, she had reason to be concerned. At Joyce Garrard’s trial, Savannah’s pediatrician, Dr. Deborah Smith, cryptically testified that the relationship between Joyce, Savannah, and her stepmother Jessica "was not normal" and said she almost contacted authorities, but in the end didn't.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 May, 2015 04:22 pm
I followed it. Nothing to add.
0 Replies