Orwell's 1984 - comparison of Julia from the book and from the movie

qwedsa

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 04:43 pm
Compare Julia from the book to Julia from the movie (Orwell's 1984) - what are the differences and what are the similarities between the two?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,505 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Hatshepsut

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 05:49 pm
@qwedsa,
For one thing, which movie? 1984 was first made into a movie in 1956, directed by Mike Anderson with Jan Sterling as Julia. Then, in 1984 of course, another movie version was directed by Mike Radford with Suzanna Hamilton doing Julia. Both are American films.

Sterling is a bit mechanical in the '50s movie, which comes slathered with Cold War overtones. I haven't seen the other film. I would recommend the book for the love scene near the end, interrupted by Julia's classic gasp, "It was behind the picture!" whereupon the picture crashes to the floor to reveal the telescreen behind it. Julia is an agent of the Thought Police, as just had to be, and will go on to torment poor Winston with vicious rats.
Hatshepsut

Reply Sun 17 May, 2015 06:19 pm
@Hatshepsut,
Change "and will go on to torment" to "the organization that will go on to torment." -my oversight.
0 Replies