Farenheit 9-11, The Carlyle Group

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:29 am
In the wake of Moore's film making record profits, The Carlyle Group and others have purchased the Cineplex-Loews chain of theatres. I sure hope that theatre-goers down the road prefer 'White Chicks II' to movies like 'Farenheit 9-11.' The plot sickens.

TORONTO A group of U.S. investors have agreed to buy the Loews Cineplex Entertainment theater chain for $1.46 billion.

Onex Corp. and Oaktree Capital Management, which own Loews, announced plans Monday to sell the world's third-largest cinema chain, with over 200 theaters and 2,200 screens worldwide.

The buyer is a corporation formed by Bain Capital, the Carlyle Group and Spectrum Equity Investors, Toronto-based Onex said.

The assets being acquired include Loews' operations in the U.S., Grupo Cinemex in Mexico, and its 50 percent interests in Megabox Cineplex of Korea and Yelmo Cineplex of Spain.

"Thanks in part to an existing theater portfolio that has been recently upgraded, Loews is well-positioned to capitalize on the industry's steady growth prospects. The investor group will work closely with the talented management team to grow the business," John Connaughton, a Managing Director at Bain Capital, said in a written release.

Onex said its share of the cash proceeds is expected to be about $566 million. In addition, Onex will continue to own units of Cineplex Galaxy, valued at about $77 million, which operates the Loews theater business in Canada as well as Galaxy Entertainment.

Onex is a conglomerate with annual revenue of about $12 billion and assets of $10 billion. Oaktree Capital Management, based in Los Angeles, is a private investment management firm with about $29 billion in assets.

Bain Capital, based in Boston, is a private investment firm with more than $20 billion in assets under management. The Carlyle Group, based in Washington, D.C., is also a private equity firm with more than $18 billion under management. Spectrum Equity Investors has more than $3 billion in capital under management.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,469 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
I will cease going to the Cineplex theaters. I saw "F-9/11" again at the local Krikorian and they are going to expand the screens this week.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:50 pm
The sad thing is, my father is an architect who specializes in theatre design, on an international level. I wouldn't be surprised if you have been to one of the theatres he designed in California while working for Cineplex in the '80s. His biggest client these days is Cinemex, started by a couple of guys who broke with Cineplex and started this new project in Mexico. He's not too happy with the recent purchase by The Carlyle Group, and he just saw Farenheit 9/11 last night. Now, in Canada, Onex still owns the Loews-Cineplex theatres, as stated in the article, but the US group controls a whole lot of shares in the company.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:36 pm
Well, whaddaya know? The plot does sicken.

"Bain Capital, based in Boston, is a private investment firm with more than $20 billion in assets under management."

My republican governor, who crossed a picket line today, used to be involved with them. There was some kind of scandal around him/it.
0 Replies