Madison bans discrimination against atheists, non-religious

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 03:36 pm
This one is for my good friend Edgar Blythe.

Madison, Wisconsin passed a law banning discrimination against atheists and other non religious individuals.

Things are looking up for the non-religious in America.

Hope it spreads like same-sex marriage laws.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/87acbdbc0f7843fb96d941f8d90e932c/madison-bans-discrimination-against-atheists-non-religious
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 22,735 • Replies: 465

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 04:57 pm
Discrimination against non believers is really ridiculous, since we all look like the believers and do the same things (aside from abase ourselves before magic icons and notions). They don't even know who we are, unless we tell them. If we were green or had great misshapen heads they might have something to go on.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
They don't even know who we are, unless we tell them.

Exactly, so why is any "law" called for? Who's next? People with Nazi beliefs--don't they have an equal right to protection? What special interest group ISN'T entitled to it? This just waters down the whole concept such laws were originally based on.

Just in case someone might try to discriminate, sometime, seems to be the idea here. Just political grandstanding, eh?:

Quote:
the ordinance's author, Anita Weier, said it didn't arise from an actual complaint about alleged discrimination based on a lack of religious faith.

Julaine Appling, the president of Wisconsin Family Action said "I don't understand why they would add this to that litany of protections in Madison, of all places," she said. "I thought this was an April Fools' joke."

Even though her ordinance passed without objection, Weier said her fellow council members seemed reluctant to embrace her idea or connect their name to it. She also said timing played a large role in her decision to propose the ordinance.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:04 pm
Careful, you are skirting Godwin's Law.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am pretty much for giving everyone equal protection of the law except members of PETA. They should be summarily executed, but, them aside....
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:13 pm
The people who put cheese on every single food they prepare would be good candidates in my book.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh, wait.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
... and serve it to me. You didn't let me finish.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ok, then.

0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 06:43 pm
Not long ago the city of Philadelphia got themselves into a lot of trouble with these kind of laws. Back in the 20's the boy scouts had built, at their own expense, a building on city-owned land which had been donated by the City. Rather than give outright title to the Scouts, the City gave a "lease in perpetuity" as long as the club was used for the intended purposes. The facts showed that 1,000's of underprivileged boys benefitted from the facilities offered by the Scouts.

A homosexual-dominated city council passed some anti-gay discrimination laws, and then told the Boy Scouts they had to let homosexual youth into their club, let them go on "camp-outs" in tents with other boys, etc. When the Boy Scouts refused, they terminated the lease.

End result: Philadelphia had a judgment in excess of $1 million entered against them by a Federal Court for violating the constitutional right of the Boy Scouts to associate with those of their own choosing.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:05 pm
@layman,
I don't know about recent stuff on all that, do you?

I was a girl scout for a while, which led me to some baking class as a mother was good at it. Very useful, might have been the starter for me being cooking crazed.

I also got my first period while I was climbing the Washington Monument on a Girl Scout trip and they lost me, as I also climbed back down and sequestered in the bathroom. Lots of excited adults.

I also sold cookies under the Maple Ave (St?) bridge in the Chicago area.

Whatever.
I'm unlikely to agree with them now, but I haven't read up.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I don't know about recent stuff on all that, do you?

Naw, I don't, really, Jo. I never made it to the rank of boy scout. I was kicked clean out of the cub scouts, just for eating the Brownies.

Can ya BELIEVE that ****, I ask ya!?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:09 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm not clear on your views, layman. I do know you are sardonic.
layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm not clear on your views, layman.

I'm not sure I have any "clear views," but, that said, I agree that we do (and should) have a constitutional right to freely associate with those of our choosing. Just because some homosexual wants to sleep in a tent with me is no reason to compel me to do it, know what I'm sayin?

Beware of those with (1) a special interest they pursue and (2) a little bit of power. They won't give a damn about YOUR concerns, only their own.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:13 pm
@layman,
No. I don't believe you.

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Why not? Oh, wait--I see you were replying to the Brownie post. Well, you think they wouldn't kick me out, the damn prudes, them?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:23 pm
@layman,
Why must you always obfuscate?
I tend to know what I think and say if I vary on what I said I thought, on reconsideration. This can cause me trouble.

I like you but take you as slippery, enjoying being slippery.

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I like you but take you as slippery, enjoying being slippery.

Well, Jo, ya know....I have found that if you don't try to tell people exactly what you are (or think) many will quickly tell you what you are (or think). That then tells me what they are (think) and I'm in a better position to understand them.

Farmer, for example, tells me that I am a creationist, disguised as an intelligent design advocate.

Sedentary tells me I am a holy roller. Others tell me I am "racist," and so on. Tells me a lot about them.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 07:45 pm
@layman,
I see your point.

On the other hand, I figure they may not get your stuff. Your sardonicity does jump around. I get it that is interesting.

Thing is, re Farmer, for example, he is well worth talking to straight, even if he whiffed you.

layman

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
..they may not get your stuff.

"I'm just a boy whose intentions are good....
Ho, Lawd, please don't lemme be misunderstood" (the Animals)

Them that understand do, them that don't, don't. I wouldn't have it any other way. That too tells me something, and I like learning, ya know?