Verdigris Horse head or bust

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 11 May, 2015 09:22 am
@Lordyaswas,
A Greek one....they also seem to style their horses manes like a punk.

http://img1.wfrcdn.com/lf/50/hash/31439/10800374/2/Greek-Horse-Head-Sculpture-HX043-11-NHE.jpg
0 Replies

Crazy Horse Lady

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
Hi,
I've searched the web for all the possibilities I could think of for what it might be called: Trojan, Greek, Roman, War horse, Spartan, and Chess Knight. If you can think of any others I have missed, please let me know. Also, I'm unsure as to what "style" it might be, Art Deco, modern, impressionist, etc. I'm thinking it might be rectilinear art deco, but of course I may be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time!
Crazy Horse Lady

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 09:45 am
@Crazy Horse Lady,
Sorry I missed your post! Your horse bust is gorgeous!
No, my horse head isn't marble, it's a yellowish gold metal with an applied verdigris patina. Since it's non-magnetic I'm guessing it may be bronze or copper. I removed it from the base and looked carefully at the underside, but didn't find a mark there either. Over the past 25 years I've spent more than I paid for it on books on animal sculpture and sculptors, (where I learned that sculptors who specialize in animal sculpture are called "animaliers"), metal horse books, bronzes of The Roman Bronze Works Foundry, etc., as well as using online appraisers and posting to every online forum on the subject I can find, but still no luck.
My main interest is not in it's value, but I'd dearly love to know who the artist is and whether there are more of his (or her) works out there somewhere!
0 Replies

Crazy Horse Lady

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 11:07 am
@farmerman,
Hello,
Thanks very much for posting your tip! Since reading your post, I've searched out everything I can find on Harry Bertoia, but the majority of his works are either sonambient sculptures, platform and rod pieces, or curvilinear pieces produced by combining many individual parts. I could find nothing relating to horses.
While I was searching for Bertoia, one site did bring up the name Boris Lovet-Larski, and after seeing some of his art deco horse sculpture from the 20's and 30's, I'm thinking that my bust may be "in the style of" Boris Lovet-Larski.
Again, thank you for the post!
0 Replies

Crazy Horse Lady

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 01:34 pm
@Crazy Horse Lady,
This one definitely looks art deco!
0 Replies

picker101

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 05:34 pm
@Crazy Horse Lady,
It reminds me of the style of Sascha Brastoff, a Mid Century Modern Artist.
0 Replies