Have mild schizoeffective disorder. Have a hard time reading people...does she like me?

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 11:59 am
Hey everyone. I have schizoeffective disorder which is a disorder that is a mix between Bi polar and a mild case of schizophrenia. Luckily my condition is highly treatable and as long as I stay medicated and continue therapy I lead a pretty normal life and rarely have any episodes. Unfortunately one sympton the meds dont help as much is my ability to read people (Which makes flirting difficult). So on to the question! I have a co worker that I think likes me and seems to continuously flirt with me but I have been know to misread people and their intentions. If I where to act on this and be wrong it could lead to a awkward work situation Yet I am intrigued to find out because I really would love to date this girl. She is beautiful, funny, intelligent, and already knows about my mental health issues and it doesnt seem to bother her ( probably because I have it under control.....Im sure if she where to see me unmedicated she probably wouldnt like me so much). I am pretty sure she likes me but just need people to talk to so I can confirm my suspicions are true. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 742 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 02:21 pm
@chef8107,
It's hard to say without more specifics.

You're correct that things not working out would make work awfully awkward at best.

There are folks who are friendly with everyone. Is she one of those people? Then this might just be her modus operandi. Kind people are great to have in our lives but they aren't necessarily interested in a relationship.

In the meantime, either way, whether she likes you that way or not, kindness is generally the best policy, to her and to others. One thing you can work on is reading signals, and consider what it's like to put yourself in another's position. I'm sure your therapist can help you a bit with empathy, where you kind of walk a mile in someone else's shoes. If you're kind, and she's kind, you might just be nice people. Smile Or it could be more.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 04:19 pm
Don't be afraid to actually ask her, "Hey are you flirting with me? Sometimes I can't tell."

You aren't the first man who has trouble "reading" women, so it's best to ask.

Try actually asking her out after work for coffee or drinks. You will know, if she declines without a good excuse,

BTW - congrats on taking care of yourself with meds and really working on a knowledge of yourself.
chef8107

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 07:34 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for the reply. She is a friendly person but shes seems to be a different kind of friendly towards me. I can say the lamest joke and she will crack up forever,always finding reasons to be around me,etc..........But part of my condition is misreading people so I'm not sure =-(
0 Replies

chef8107

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 07:36 pm
@PUNKEY,
I get what your saying its just that I get paranoid of rejection and also cant read people due to my mental illness.........even though I do think she is be flirtatious due to here just acting so much more bubbly and different around me
0 Replies