Excused absence from school..marathon run?

Linkat

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 09:03 pm
So some children were not excused from school when their parent ran the Boston Marathon. What the heck?

My daughter's teacher is allowing her to miss school to attend a basketball tournament. What is the deal?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 2,025 • Replies: 20
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 09:31 pm
@Linkat,
Why do they even ask? I would call in and tell them my kid is sick.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 10:35 pm
@Linkat,
Some schools have better standards than others.

It's debatable which are better.

I'd say that both of the examples you gave were correct ... though I'd put a limit on the second one - and let parents/students know up front how many allowable absences there could be in a year - with the proviso that academics should not be impacted, so the limit might be less for some students. I'm not a fan of moving students forward if they haven't fully met the academic requirements.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 10:48 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I'm not a fan of moving students forward if they haven't fully met the academic requirements.

Half of American students who don't meet the academic requirements are moved forward, unfortunately.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 10:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
It explains quite a few problems doesn't it.

I'd generally like to see more rigor in school.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2015 03:14 am
In Cincinnati playing hookie for Opening Day is excused only if you have a ticket stub for the game the next day.

Rap
Miller

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 09:29 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

So some children were not excused from school when their parent ran the Boston Marathon. What the heck?

My daughter's teacher is allowing her to miss school to attend a basketball tournament. What is the deal?

Children should never be excused from school to watch a parent run a marathon. Likewise, to allow a child to miss school to attend a baksetball game should never be allowed.

School is for education...not for attending running or basketball games.

The only excuse for missing a day of school is a very serious illness or death.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 05:25 am
@Miller,
Quote:
Children should never be excused from school to watch a parent run a marathon. Likewise, to allow a child to miss school to attend a baksetball game should never be allowed.

School is for education...not for attending running or basketball games.

The only excuse for missing a day of school is a very serious illness or death.

For the items you mention above not to be excused there is an element of education.

I was at a meeting with my daughter's teacher (unrelated to speaking with her about my daughter's upcoming absence). While I was there I figured I would let her know about my daughter missing a couple of days of school due to her tournament out of state. I, also, believe that you should not miss school unless absolutely necessary.

I let her know this - and her teacher's response was --- she is only in the 6th grade, what is going to honestly miss that she cannot make up. I am a big supporter of being involved in something like this -- whether it is a sport, dance, art, music. It is wonderful and teaches them things they cannot get in a classroom. It prepares them for high school and college -- being able to balance a dedicated sports team and commitment with carrying a full school load. You learn how to plan and organize your time; it teaches you team work and commitment, it gives you confidence and provides you with success. Her thoughts were that children that were involved in something outside of school end up being better students in the long run and more suceesful in life as they learn skills that are not able to be taught in a traditional classroom.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 05:31 am
@Miller,
And in regard to the missing school for the marathon - here is the dad's reponse...

Rossi responded to the note in a letter addressed to 'Madam Principal.'

"At the marathon, they watched blind runners, runners with prosthetic limbs and debilitating diseases and people running to raise money for great causes run in the most prestigious and historic marathon in the world.

"They also paid tribute to the victims of a senseless act of terrorism and learned that no matter what evil may occur, terrorists cannot deter the American spirit.

"These are things they won't ever truly learn in the classroom."

Now I do not think children should be pulled out of school every week or month or even often for things like this --- but a couple of days a year? My child has not been absent once even for being sick.

If schools start having this zero tolerance, parents will just resort to saying a fib and claiming their child is sick.
Miller

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 08:41 am
But, do all of these "activities" prepare kids for the SAT/ACT?MCAT?DAT/LSAT? No...

How do the "fun" kids then compete with those kids from Newton...etc, who take 10+ AP classes and who don't watch runners and who don't play basketball? But who, instead keep their eyes on their books and their brains on their professional goals, should they have any?

Each parent must make up his/her own mind about the education of their children. With taxes so high and academic competition so rabid among kids, I feel that kids should stay in school during the academic year and if they want to run or play basbetball, let them do so during the summer months.

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 09:47 am
@Miller,
That is how you feel and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. Most colleges look at students who are well rounded and not just have their heads in the books.

There are no students taking 10+ AP classes - there are less classes than that in the school year and gym and many other classes do not have AP classes no matter how smart you are. There are also many high school students that play sports and are in many AP classes and they miss school on a rare occassion for sports. High schools even dismiss them early to attend games that are further away.

There are also no AP classess in the 6th grade - as my daughter's teacher stated what are you going to miss in 6th grade. And do you know there are kids in Newton that play on competitive sports teams and miss school? My older daughter was on a team with several girls from Newton. Did you know there are AP classes in other towns than Newton...even in places like gasp....Brockton.

Ánd it isn't just sports they miss classes for - we have a very competitive music program in our schools - they often miss school traveling to compete. There are even academic competitions -- sometimes students miss school to attend an academic competion - my daughter has attended math olympics and missed a day of school for it. She also was in a regional spelling bee and missed two days of schools.
I am discussing good old common sense - it is ok to miss a day or two on a rare occassion. So you think if a child is sick and they do not attend school then they are a drag on taxes and will fail academically because of the academic pressure.

Could you explain the difference of my daughter missing only 2 days of school the entire school year to some one who is out for two days for cold? I do not think 2 days of missing school is going to hurt the taxpayers or ruin her academically.
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 09:49 am
@Miller,
Quote:
[But, do all of these "activities" prepare kids for the SAT/ACT?MCAT?DAT/LSAT? No...

How do these prepare you for real life? Teach you how to organize your time? Even be a successful college student. None of what you mention prepares you for life or even college life. All those tests do is teach you how to take a test.

I do not understand the note of fun kids. I am sure even those kids that focus only on academics have fun - they may not be into sports, but I would hope they do other things in time at home other than have their nose in a book. Be a very sad childhood.
Miller

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

There are no students taking 10+ AP classes -

A young Orthodox Jewish female , who attends a private Yeshiva ( Jewish Day school) in NY ,was recently admitted to West Point. According to news reports this young woman at the time of the news publication, was taking at least 10 AP classes.

She's an unusal young woman, not only because she was admitted to West Point, but because she is an Orthodox Jewish student, who attends a private Jewish day school.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 04:25 pm
@Linkat,
I think parents have the ultimate responsibility for their children and the school has standards. The parents are free to say "my child is going to miss school today" and the school equally has the right to say "that is an unexcused absence". Maybe this is a yearly thing and he should accept that his values trump the school's in this instance but the absence is going to be unexcused. Maybe he considers it a family support thing and once again, his values trump the school's (and the absence will be unexcused). I don't think he can insist the school adopt his values. If that were the case, all absences would eventually be excused.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 07:22 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

In Cincinnati playing hookie for Opening Day is excused only if you have a ticket stub for the game the next day.

Rap

What about a receipt for drinks at one of Cincinnati's more iconic sports bars? Twisted Evil
Miller

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 12:48 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Quote:
[But, do all of these "activities" prepare kids for the SAT/ACT?MCAT?DAT/LSAT? No...

How do these prepare you for real life?

The MCAT is required for most if not all American allopathic medical schools. The exam tests a student's knowledge of chemistry, biology ( general/molecular/cell) and physics. If your intention is to become a physician, it is critical that you attend an excellent medical school and to do so, a student must have excellent grades in pre-med courses and top grades on the MCAT. The MCAT evaluates a student's preparation for Med school courses, which of course are essential for his/her REAL LIFE occupation as a physician.

The LSAT is an exam required by most US law schools. It is an exam that often tests writing ability, but also tests a student's ability to think logically and analytically, talents that will be required for a REAL LIFE occupation as a lawyer.

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 08:29 am
@Kolyo,
Only Arnold's

BTW My son got a hookie excused when his Grandfather took him to the last game played a the old Comiskey Park even though neither were White Sox Fans.

The Principal, Sister Rose, said she wished she could have been there.

Rap
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 10:37 pm
@Linkat,
Hi Linkat,
I think Students should not avoid school for Basketball tournament because school should be first priority.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 10:38 pm
These bots are a bore..
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 11:32 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

So some children were not excused from school when their parent ran the Boston Marathon. What the heck? Neglecting education to be spectator

My daughter's teacher is allowing her to miss school to attend a basketball tournament. Neglecting education to work on other areas of interest in the charge

What is the deal?

Not at all the same thing. One is in the best interest of the child, the other is in the best interests of the Parent.
0 Replies