edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 07:38 pm
@Lash,
I just read a figure of 4,500 in attendance. Pretty good for Bobby Jindal's territory.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 06:58 am
RFK, Jr and his political watchdog company Ring of Fire endorse "the progressive in the race" - and you know who that is.
Great article.
http://www.ringoffireradio.com/2015/07/ring-of-fires-official-position-on-bernie-and-hillary-because-you-asked/

An excerpt:

In regard to the current candidates for President, we endorse Bernie Sanders. The reason is simple. He has a strong record and voice supporting the issues we most stand for and write about. The reason we have been vocal against Hillary is that she has enjoyed a very close relationship with Corporate America, receives significant funding and donations from Fortune 500 companies and America’s wealthiest individuals. She also has favored virtually every American military invasion, including Iraq.

H. A. Goodman with the The Huffington Post describes Hillary well, when he wrote: “Hillary Clinton is neither a liberal nor a true conservative. Rather, she’s an electable Democratic candidate who leans to the right. She’s the Democratic version of Mitt Romney. President Hillary Clinton will be a conservative Barack Obama and a somewhat liberal George Bush. She’ll bail out banks in another collapse and send ground troops to a foreign country in the event of a terror attack.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 07:07 am
I won't give people fuel to attack Clinton, because I may end voting for her. But I love it that he gets this endorsement.
revelette2

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 10:34 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree completely.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:31 pm
Here's a piece from yesterday in Salon that should be burned deeply into the consciousness of every committed progressive activist in this country. Its importance - especially now in light of the brouhaha of last weekend's BLM protest at Netroots Nation (and subsequent spirited fallout) - simply cannot be overstated. I'll let the Secretary do the bulk of the talking:
Robert Reich: Progressives can’t afford “to split into a ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement and an ‘economic justice’ movement”

It’s impossible to overcome widening economic inequality in America without also dealing with the legacy of racial inequality.
And it is impossible to overcome racial inequality without also reversing widening economic inequality.

They are not the same but they are intimately related.

Racial inequalities are baked into our political and economic system. Police brutality against black men and women, mass incarceration disproportionately of blacks and Latinos, housing discrimination that has resulted in racial apartheid across the nation, and voter suppression in the forms of gerrymandered districts, voter identification requirements, purges of names from voter registration lists, and understaffed voting stations in black neighborhoods – all reveal deep structures of discrimination that undermine economic inequality.

Black lives matter.

But it would be a terrible mistake for the progressive movement to split into a “Black lives matter” movement and an “economic justice” movement.

This would only play into the hands of the right.

For decades Republicans have exploited the economic frustrations of the white working and middle class to drive a wedge between races, channeling those frustrations into bigotry and resentment.

The Republican strategy has been to divide-and-conquer. They want to prevent the majority of Americans – poor, working class, and middle-class, blacks, Latinos, and whites – from uniting in common cause against the moneyed interests.

We must not let them. (emphasis mine)

So there you have it, people. When progressives allow themselves to become divided, the Right wins. When some of Us contend against others of Us, it distracts all of Us from the real conflict: Us vs. Them. Which is exactly how the Right wants it.
We are all in this together. When we work together, we win. When we work together cohesively enough and cooperatively enough, we are unstoppable. The Right cannot beat us. They can win only by getting us to beat ourselves.

Are we going to allow ourselves to get yanked around this time? We will let them conquer us...by splitting ourselves into squabbling factions and tribes?

I really, really hope not. Because in 2016 we have way too much to lose - and everything to gain.

ORIGINALLY POSTED TO MYSTIC MICHAEL ON SUN JUL 26, 2015 AT 07:01 AM PDT.

ALSO REPUBLISHED BY BERNIE NEWS ROUNDUP AND TEAM BERNIE.

TAGS
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:53 pm
This poll is dated today. (Thought I'd seen it earlier.)

Anyway, Bernie is beating the top of the GOP batting order.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/bernie_sanders_beats_donald_trump_and_jeb_bush_and_scott_walker
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 01:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I won't give people fuel to attack Clinton, because I may end voting for her.

That is petty and proves that you are not a purveyor of truth.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 02:39 pm
https://youtu.be/C7L9V7oGRv8

The next president.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 08:16 am
Inside Hillary, Bernie, Trump, and polls.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/worrying-numbers-clinton-last-week-polling?cid=sm_tw_lastword
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 08:48 am
The Ed Show: Newest polls

Bernie has gone up around 18 points - approximately the name % Hillary's numbers have gone down.

http://www.msnbc.com/the-ed-show/watch/can-bernie-sanders-win--492016707732
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:23 am
Meetings of community organizers nationwide. You can still RSVP to attend one.

Look at the map showing the locations of meetings tomorrow night.
3150 meetings for 83,000 citizens who will be organizers - not just voters.
http://map.berniesanders.com/?source=fb20150728&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=facebook20150728
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 09:18 am
Matt Taibbi in Rolling Stone nails it once again as he goes after the priorities of corporate Democrats. “The Democrats could take this godsend of a Trump situation and use it as an opportunity to finally have a healthy primary season debate about what they want to stand for in the future,” he writes. “But nah to that. They’ll probably just hoover donor cash and use press surrogates to bash progressives the way they always have. Trump or no Trump, if politicians don’t have to work for your vote, they won’t.”
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 10:31 am
Bernie's campaign is sending emails to workers saying tonight nationwide, there are 100,000 RSVPs to join the cause.

Bernie's message transmitted around the country while we watch together and organize for the primary.

Wow. It's happening. Just checked my event. Two days ago, there were 22 people - now, 40. Smile

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 02:14 pm
Thank you, Clintonmachine. Subverting democracy around every corner.

https://youtu.be/3B_mWIfy1kE
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:59 pm
http://www.calyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/vote.jpg

Oh wait....this is A2K. Just as we are supposed to say the "right" wordswhen we speak we are also expected to vote for the "right" person. Anyone who refuses is not worthy of respect.

Think we should lower the AOC?

Think the "justice" system is fucked up?

Think that the feminists are abusive?

Think that the economic system is terminal?

Champion Bernie Sanders?

It is all the same...outside the box of what "reasonable" people can believe, and there will be NO debate on the matter.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 06:06 am
@Lash,
Don't worry, they won't be able to ignore him for long...

Quote:
Bernie Sanders Hosts Biggest Organizing Event of 2016 So Far

Sam Frizell @Sam_Frizell Updated: July 29, 2015 11:26 PM
TIME Magazine

Bernie Sanders hosted a massive grassroots organizing event on Wednesday evening that featured simultaneous parties in all 50 states, as the upstart Democratic candidate seeks to mobilize the progressive base of the party.

Sanders appeared at a house party in Southwest Washington, D.C., and made remarks broadcast simultaneously to all the meeting locations in the country, from Alaska to Florida.

“Tonight is a historical night and all of us are making history,” Sanders said at the event, reading his notes from a music stand. “Why are we seeing spontaneous uprisings if you like and meetings in cities and town all over this country? My answer is the American people are saying loudly and clearly, enough is enough.”

During an abbreviated version of his standard stump speech in which the Democratic presidential hopeful pointed to wealth inequality and racial injustice, Sanders also pointed to the massive size of the event he was hosting.

More than 100,000 people had RSVPed to participate in some 3,500 parties in houses, living rooms and coffee shops, Sanders’ campaign said on Wednesday night, making it the biggest online organizing event of the 2016 campaign. The large turnout Wednesday is an important part of Sanders’ plan to build enthusiasm among the Democratic party’s base.

“Bernie Sanders alone as president of these United States is not going to solve all these problems,” Sanders said. “The only way we take on the Koch brothers and take on the billionaire class, and people who have unbelievable money and power, the only we can do that is when we put together a strong grassroots movement of millions and millions of people.”

“And that is what I mean by political revolution, and that is what you are involved in today,” he added, looking into the camera.

More: http://time.com/3976557/bernie-sanders-house-party/

The related NYT article is a bit dismissive, but it exists:
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/07/30/sanders-throws-a-nationwide-house-party-for-over-100000-would-be-foot-soldiers/
Lash

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Thanks Olivier!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

My answer is the American people are saying loudly and clearly, enough is enough.”

I can certainly understand the sentiment, but that's also the same thing that got Jimmy Carter elected. Then there is that "Hopey, changie" things, which I would not like to see repeated, either.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:45 pm
Turned out, Jimmy was a better president than the Bushes and Reagan. edit And Clinton
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 03:57 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

My answer is the American people are saying loudly and clearly, enough is enough.”

I can certainly understand the sentiment, but that's also the same thing that got Jimmy Carter elected. Then there is that "Hopey, changie" things, which I would not like to see repeated, either.

Anyone who actually thinks the American people are loudly and clearly saying "enough is enough"...ought to pay attention to the congressional elections in 2016. I say that over 90% of the incumbents will be re-elected.

The American public is not saying anything like that at all.

In fact, in many ways, the American public is saying...give me more of the same.

And the ones pretending to be pounding for change...are the ones most likely to prevent real change by demanding much more change immediately than the public will ever be able to tolerate.
0 Replies