Moving for work and worried my wife may not get a job

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 11:03 pm
Hey all, I've never used this site before but I could use some input. My wife and I are both graduating next month with our master's degree. We're moving 10 hours away to a place where we don't know anyone so I can start my job in June. My wife is currently looking for teaching jobs but I have no idea if she'll get one or not. She's tremendously capable but getting a teaching job is difficult, especially in a new place. We have no kids and don't plan on having any anytime soon. I guess my main question is how can I be most helpful if she doesn't get a job? I'm so thankful to her for taking a professional risk in order to allow me to pursue an incredible opportunity. I'm worried that if she's in a new place without a job while I'm working full time that she could become depressed or not be fully happy. She takes a lot of pride in her work and I think she would feel empty without it. I also don't want her to end up resenting me in the future. Has anyone been through a similar situation? Hopefully she gets a job and this is all rendered moot, but I want to be able to help and make this time of our life great for her no matter what. Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 555 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 05:44 am
Give her some credit!!

She will find something to do, for sure - like moving, setting up a household, etc. etc.

She may just enjoy a few months off, too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:02 am
@beblcb2015,
I think it's very kind of you to be concerned. But I'm sure she's got inner resources.

If she doesn't work as a teacher, but needs to bring in $$ to make ends meet, there's tutoring (which would look good on her resume) or even working as a camp counselor at a day camp over the summer (better apply now). If not, then time off to recharge is good; she can get to know your new home and make friends.

Best of luck to both of you.
Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 06:48 am
@jespah,
I agree - there are related jobs she could do in the mean time - it could also help her get a permanent position. Along with tutoring. she could also seek substitute teaching, teacher's aid or simply reach out to the local schools and ask their suggestions. The more they get to know her, the more doors that will open for her.
0 Replies