What Is Your Life Philosophy?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 11:36 am
I think all of us experience pain and pleasure, but the level of pain and pleasure can vary dramatically for each individual. I've heard that some level of pain also maximizes pleasure. The trick is to maximize pleasure in our lives without too much pain. Our psyches can do tricks on us, so we must be in control - or try. Depression can take over some people's life, and that's a bummer.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:34 pm
Cav:

I think even the spiritual can fall under this heading. I am not sure how I owuld even know 'the good' unless it felt good.

TF
0 Replies

nn

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 01:28 pm
"Don't rely on others for something - do it yourself."
I also like :
"Happy; angry; confused; depressed. Whatever others are like, make your emotions different to them"

are you kidding me is that the best you can come up with, well duh, do it yourself at the end of all things that's all you have, not your mum, or dad, just you, just you.
but gotta say that last philosophy in life isn't the most brilliant, how bout "just be happy, just be, life's not that diff. to understand although man will always barely scrape the surface, you don't need to delve in to much to know what it's about.
so find yourself some real quotes in life, learn from the "great" philosophers of our times, they just don't talk out of their ass, cliches are cliches for a reason.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 07:39 pm
I am not even going to touch that last post!

Moving on. Philosophy, like any field of inquiry, is constantly changing. This applies also to personal philosophy, at least it certainly does for me. I can't say I've ever been able settle on one single idea which sums up my outlook on life. I suppose it is really whatever inspires me at the time.

Speaking of which, here's something which inspires me at the moment and which may have some relevance to the topic;

To suffer woes which Hope thinks infinite;
To forgive wrongs darker than death or night;
To defy Power, which seems omnipotent;
To love, and bear; to hope till Hope creates
From it's own wreck the thing it contemplates;
Nether to change, nor falter, nor repent;
This, like thy glory, Titan, is to be
Good, great and joyous, beautiful and free;
This alone is Life, Joy, Empire, and Victory!

From Prometheus Unbound
Percy Bysshe Shelley, (1792-1822)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
"Cliches are cliches for a reason." Yes, the reason frequently being that they are true and/or useful...
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:06 am
Well said, patiodog.
0 Replies