appositive or ellipsis

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 03:39 am
"Hassan speaks Cantonese, not Mandarin."

I don't know how "not Mandarin." is working here.

Is it a parenthetical element? I think ellipsis occurs after comma, but I am not sure. Are there any ellipsis? If no ellipsis occurs here, please tell me how to understand where ellipsis occurs.

I think that this types of words can work for different purpose, depending upon different factors. But I am not sure. If my this statement is true, kindly explain different situations.

Thanks to all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 770 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timur

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 05:21 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
It's a form of ellipsis:

wiki wrote:
Stripping is also known as bare argument ellipsis. Many linguists take stripping to be a particular manifestation of gapping whereby just one remnant appears in the gapped clause instead of the two (or more) that occur in instances of gapping. The fact that stripping is limited to occurring in coordinate structures is the main reason why stripping is integrated into the analysis of gapping:

John can play the guitar, and Mary can play the guitar, too. - Stripping
Sam has attempted problem 1 twice, and he has attempted problem 2 also. - Stripping

These examples illustrate that stripping is flexible insofar as the remnant in the stripped clause is not limited in function; it can, for instance, be a subject as in the first sentence or an object as in the second sentence. A particularly frequent type of stripping is not-stripping, e.g.

Sam did it, not Fred. - not-Stripping
Sally is working on Monday, not on Tuesday. - not-Stripping

Not-stripping's status as a form of ellipsis can be debated, since the non-elliptical versions of these sentences are unacceptable. The key trait of ellipsis, namely, is that the both versions are supposed to be acceptable (the elliptical and non-elliptical version).

Source
0 Replies

009hnoor

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 03:43 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
John can play the guitar, and Mary can play the guitar, too. - Stripping
Sam has attempted problem 1 twice, and he has attempted problem 2 also. - Stripping