How Should I Cite Myself?

apebble

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 08:49 am
I am doing a project for English and we have a "wildcard" exhibit. I want to post one of my poems there, but it is located online in two different areas (both by the same username).

As this username is not my actual name, should I cite the pseudonym as well? And should I include the url(s)? Or should just citing it as my previous work with no reference to the online articles be enough?

Sorry if I did this wrong. Kinda new here and these forums seem set up strange.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 600 • Replies: 1
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2015 09:45 am
@apebble,
You don't cite poetry, you attribute it. The word "cite" implies you are doing some research and are referencing a respected source of information to prove a point or support an idea. If you are using a poem that someone else wrote, you attribute it to them to give them the credit for writing it (rather than incorrectly taking the credit yourself for poetry you didn't write).

You have two choices

1) You can either claim the poetry as your own. You wrote it. It is yours. You can just say so.

2) You can attribute the poem to a pseudonym. There is nothing wrong with doing this (since you can't steal your own original work), many accomplished poets have done published their own works under a fake name.

Just attribute the poem to the pseudonym and provide a link to any website.
0 Replies