gollum

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 07:11 am
In the last year my blood pressure has increased significantly. The systolic (numerator) is now about 140.

I believe that I should reduce the sodium in my diet. This is difficult because the only foods I can find without significant sodium are fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. I eat a lot of them but get tired of them sometimes.

If I cut the sodium in my diet starting today, how long does it take to have the resulting effect on my blood pressure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,909 • Replies: 9

TEReview

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 07:29 am
Your blood pressure rises with each heartbeat and falls when your heart relaxes between beats. Even if your blood pressure is normal, you should consider whether lifestyle changes to prevent the development of HBP and improve your heart health.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:08 pm
@gollum,
Has your doctor referred you to a nutritionist to assist you with any required dietary changes? have any specific lifestyle changes been recommended?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:42 pm
@gollum,
All processed food is loaded with sodium. Avoid it as much as possible, especially in canned food and frozen prepared foods. You are correct in that fresh fruit and vegetables are low in sodium. So are fresh fish and lean proteins such as chicken and turkey if you cook it yourself and don't load it up with condiments and seasonings loaded with sodium.

You should also consider switching your table salt to the No Salt brand. I did this and eliminated canned/frozen meals and my blood pressure has come down considerably. Also, increase your water intake to at least 64 ounces per day if you aren't at that level already. It helps flush the sodium from your body and keeps you hydrated.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416BjotkviL._SY300_.jpg
gollum

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 03:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet-

Thank you.

Is the reason that processed food is high in sodium, the use of preservatives?
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 03:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
If I consume a lot of sodium today, does that show up in my blood pressure today? Or does it take many years before you gradually have an effect?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 04:32 pm
@gollum,
Here's some reading for you.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Sodium-and-Salt_UCM_303290_Article.jsp

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Hypertension_High_Blood_Pressure/hic_High_Blood_Pressure_and_Nutrition

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 04:43 pm
Ya know what?

Go see your dr and ask him.

High BP isn't all about sodium you know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 04:56 pm
@gollum,
What has your doctor said in response to your questions?

You need to speak to a professional with your specific questions about your health.
0 Replies

ashleygeller

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2015 06:52 am
@gollum,
Hi! Do not presume that your blood pressure issue is because of increased sodium level before consulting with doctor. There are many other reasons like -
1. Increased weight
2. Lack of physical exercise
3. Some hormonal dis balance
4. Hyper tension
5. Stress
6. Consumption of alcohol
And many other factors are their that causes high blood pressure.
So, before taking any medication consult your doctor.
0 Replies