When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think I've ever felt a thrill up my leg. Must be an odd sensation. I'd probably think, "Damn. Diabetes! Damn." But I am familiar with something closer to those "starbursts" that Rich Lowry spoke of experiencing when Sarah Palin winked at him. I get those reading your posts when I'm naked, like now.

But I suppose I ought to be honest and admit that this election cycle, because it could possibly turn into something like an extinction level event for the prior conservative coalition, is delighting me very much.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:54 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Yes and no.

Oh for the love of god. Of course there are westerners living and doing business in China. But the differences in immigration patterns are like the size of my smallest freckle contrasted with the size of the Bronx.

That's a strange reaction to a simple comment noting that, perhaps contrary to the perceptions of many, there are indeed substantial numbers of Westerners living and working in modern China. I made no claim whatever about relative numbers, however, the fact that in a circle of a few hundred friends I know six or seven who reside there strikes me as an indicator of their likely numbers.

Do you see this as a a conversation or, perhaps, a contest?
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:55 pm
@blatham,
What? Now I don't warrant a direct comment from you?

McCain wouldn't use Rev Wright against Obama. No lies needed there.

Romney wouldn't call Obama a liar when he lied during their debate and had to have his ass saved by the CNN moderator.

Trump isn't going to lose because he won't fight as dirty as Clinton, and he won't lose because he fights dirtier than her. He will lose because he has no self-discipline and seems to believe there is no such thing as bad media attention. He will lose because he keeps giving Clinton cover. He will lose because he is a horrible candidate; worse even than her.
cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:59 pm
@georgeob1,
What I've noticed, especially here in Silicon Valley, is that many Chinese are from Taiwan and Thailand.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:01 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I made no claim whatever about relative numbers, however, the fact that in a circle of a few hundred friends I know six or seven who reside there strikes me as an indicator of their likely numbers.

and on our side of the block - with about 15 houses - 3 are recent immigrants from Hong Kong

at my last place of employment - more than half of our team was composed of recent immigrants from Hong Kong

Toronto has 7 distinct Chinatowns - reflecting waves of arrival

I'll take that as an indicator of likely numbers ( take into account that Toronto is not the preferred landing spot for Hong Kong or mainland Chinese in Canada and there's a big imbalance)

http://www.asianpacificpost.com/article/7597-hong-kongers-eye-taiwan-and-canada.html

Quote:
Fearing that their island city is going to the dogs, close to half of Hong Kong residents interview in a recent survey are looking to move.

And Canada is their top pick to start a new a life.

Some 42 percent of Hong Kong residents want to leave, a survey by independent think tank Civic Exchange showed in June. This compares with 20 percent wanting to leave neighboring Singapore.

Seventy percent of 1,500 people surveyed said Hong Kong had become "worse" or "much worse" to live in, with the biggest concerns housing, the "quality of government" and education, the Thompson-Reuters Foundation reported.

The number of Hong Kong people emigrating to Canada almost doubled in the first quarter of this year compared with the same period last year, and the number moving permanently to Taiwan rose 36 percent over a similar time frame, data shows.
cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:05 pm
@ehBeth,
I've not been to Vancouver in many a year, but Vancouver also used to have a Chinatown.

The US used to have some Japanese towns, but many have disappeared. I think there are J-towns in San Jose, Seattle, and Los Angeles.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:05 pm
@georgeob1,
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-vancouver-real-estate-market/

Quote:
Most of the 59-year-old’s clients are Chinese and multi-billionaires. His website attests to that, featuring links to doctors who practice traditional Chinese medicine, lawyers, language classes and maintenance providers. He advertises on WeChat, China’s most popular app, and in local Chinese newspapers.

“I show homes every day to Chinese families from Shanghai, Beijing, cities I’ve never heard of, and sometimes it’s just the mother and kids because the father is working,” Debelle said, referring to so-called astronaut families with the father working in China and mother and children staying in Vancouver. “It’s typical of any wealthy person to move money abroad to preserve their wealth. They’re concerned about the market there and they want hard assets to preserve and protect their capital.”

Debelle, whose Mandarin-speaking sales associate drives a white Bentley, sells at least 25 homes a year, earning a commission of about 3 percent. He’s so busy that he’s taken only one vacation in the last eight years, working weekends and evenings with buyers on the phone in Hong Kong and mainland China.

<snip>

Quote:
Linda Todrick, 68, lived in a subdivision 45 minutes south of the city for 26 years, until her partner began thinking of retirement and a broker friend told her how much the house was worth. At the end of 2015, her detached home was appraised at just shy of C$1 million. A month later it had shot up to C$1.3 million.

She listed it in April for C$1.288 million, appealing to local Chinese buyers with the lucky number eight. Within 24 hours, four bids came in. They sold within just a few days to a young family for C$1.5 million, no conditions.

... I've had several enquiries from Chinese buyers - they want my property for the house number , which includes an 8
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote Finn:
Quote:
Romney wouldn't call Obama a liar when he lied during their debate and had to have his ass saved by the CNN moderator.

Utter nonsense. The CNN moderator corrected Romney about Libya.

Here's the part in the debate in debate where the issue came up:

And the speech the day after the incident, where Obama called it a terrorist act. Go to the 4 minute, 15 second mark:

Romney hurt himself, he listened to too many right wing "pundits" and thought their distorted narrative of events were the truth, and Mitt got stung badly by it. You are trying to rewrite history by repetitive complaining.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:15 pm
@revelette2,
I hope that keeps you safe from the facts!
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:15 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do you see this as a a conversation or, perhaps, a contest?

Golly. Why would I ever imagine you as the contesting sort? We were initially talking about something rather important - the relative desirability of living in a state like Hong Kong or a western nation. Immigration levels hither and thither are a key piece of evidence here and ought not to be set aside.

Otherwise, yes, also a conversation.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
And, this is the point.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Thanks a lot Obama! You economy-destroying bolshevik muslim American-hating slime.

Quote:
Stocks rallied and the Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq all hit new closing highs Thursday, .....

Here's a link to some charts all but one from Federal data sites. Various time periods, some ending as early as 2012, others 2015.. In most cases the scales are chosen to magnify the visual effect of changes, but the aggregate tells a story that embraces more relevant matters to the public.

http://i2.wp.com/republicbroadcasting.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Image-2.jpg

Blickers will no doubt be oiutraged by the workforce participation chart, but most people understand what it tell us.

The stock market is doing fairly well - not as well as in previous decades, but relatively well compared to current alternatives. Companies are indeed making money, and they are hoarding cash and paying dividends to sustain their stock prices, instead of investing in new or expanded enterprises and job creation. That is why middle Ameriuca is doing badly inder the current highly regulated and over leveraged economic regime.
Blickers

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 07:32 pm
Quote george:
Quote:

Blickers will no doubt be oiutraged by the workforce participation chart, but most people understand what it tell us.

Not outraged, just annoyed that so much attention is being paid to a statistic that gives the same value if 10 Million workers get a job one month, or ten Million workers lose a job that month. Same number.

Now here's a number that's really important. The year before Obama took office, the country LOST 6 Million Full Time jobs. Now the country has GAINED 5 Million Full Time jobs in the past two years alone. That's a relevant statistic, not some minor, out of context stat that conservatives harp on in their attempt to show an improving economy is supposedly tanking.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 08:05 pm
glitterbag

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 08:34 pm
@georgeob1,
Back to a point I think you were making earlier, the fact that Westerners reside in China or Chinese reside in the US or Europe simply means they have taken up residence. I don't think you meant to confuse this with immigration. I think we both know that neither group aspire to become citizens of the country they are currently residing. If I could make a suggestion, you might be more easily understood if you would declutter your posts. Don't fall in love with overwrought phrases, it can be annoying to plod thru all the cleverness in order to get to whatever point you are making.

Maybe you should write novels, or dabble in poetry. Those vehicles indulge the reader's desire to use their imagination. I'm also Irish American, my Grandfather spoke with a brogue. We Irish love our stories, our yarns and our blarney but if we want others to understand our point of view/opinion we need to abandon any lace curtain or shanty affectations and speak plainly. Not everyone was fortunate enough to have Irish roots.

joefromchicago

Thu 11 Aug, 2016 09:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm really not going to entertain any intellectually dishonest arguments that Dems don't employ such attacks.

Don't worry, I won't play the game of "your candidate is more of an asshole than my candidate." Besides, I'm confident you've already made up your mind on that count and won't be swayed otherwise. What baffles me is why you'd justify any attack that you yourself have admitted is unfounded, unfair, and unjustified. Saying "the other candidate was going to do it, so it's all right if my candidate does it first" makes no sense if you don't think your candidate is justified in making that attack to begin with.

Does that rationale work in other contexts? I can just imagine the domestic scene at the Finn household:

Finn the Elder: Junior, why did you hit your little brother?
Finn the Younger: 'Cuz if he was in the same position, he woulda' hit me!
Finn the Elder: Ah, I see. Carry on, then, my boy.

Granted, we went to war fairly recently using the same line of reasoning - we somehow needed to fend off a hypothetical Iraqi attack by launching a real invasion - but surely you can hold yourself and your candidate to a higher standard than that of George W. Bush.

I suppose if you want your candidate to be as bad as or worse than his opponent, then you've chosen the right approach. I imagine that many people would prefer that their candidates adhere to a higher set of principles than that, but maybe they're just being naive.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 12 Aug, 2016 03:47 am
Quote:
Avik Roy is a Republican’s Republican. A health care wonk and editor at Forbes, he has worked for three Republican presidential hopefuls — Mitt Romney, Rick Perry, and Marco Rubio. Much of his adult life has been dedicated to advancing the Republican Party and conservative ideals.

But when I caught up with Roy at a bar just outside the Republican convention, he said something I’ve never heard from an establishment conservative before: The Grand Old Party is going to die.

“I don’t think the Republican Party and the conservative movement are capable of reforming themselves in an incremental and gradual way,” he said. “There’s going to be a disruption.”

Roy isn’t happy about this: He believes it means the Democrats will dominate national American politics for some time. But he also believes the Republican Party has lost its right to govern, because it is driven by white nationalism rather than a true commitment to equality for all Americans.

“Until the conservative movement can stand up and live by that principle, it will not have the moral authority to lead the country,” he told me.
http://www.vox.com/2016/7/25/12256510/republican-party-trump-avik-roy

Well, yeah. (bolded phrase for george, by the way)

Trump didn't just drop out of the midnight sky. He was chosen by GOP primary voters. He's endorsed by Ryan and McConnell and many others senior in the party. And he'll gain the vote of many conservatives posting here.

Roy is a conservative with whom one might have a sane, honest and valuable conversation. And why is it that so very few conservatives posting on boards like this are of his sort?
snood

Fri 12 Aug, 2016 04:41 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Roy is a conservative with whom one might have a sane, honest and valuable conversation. And why is it that so very few conservatives posting on boards like this are of his sort?

My take on it is that the conservatives who post here approach discussions with a weird combination of defensiveness and smug cocksuredness that makes it impossible to even initiate, much less carry on a discussion.
Brand X

Fri 12 Aug, 2016 04:59 am
@Lash,
Will we ever know why it took Judicial Watch to find the latest e-mails connecting the dots of the Clinton trail? Why not the DOJ, FBI or any other so called investigative entity. Is it because corruption is common knowledge in DC and everyone's in on it? Where did the Clinton Foundation end and State Department begin, where will the Clinton Foundation end and White House begin when she's elected?

Alas there will be no repercussions, I bet. Trump was wrong(again), Hillary is the one who could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and never lose a supporter.

farmerman

Fri 12 Aug, 2016 05:04 am
@Brand X,
Quote:
Hillary is the one who could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and never lose a supporter.
So far, the only one who has even hinted at violence is Mr Trump.
0 Replies