When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

blatham

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 04:45 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
To what investigory panels are you referring?

Your answer, if you care for it, is found here http://bit.ly/29mVWph
Quote:
Clinton said, "There have been seven investigations (of Benghazi) led mostly by Republicans in the Congress" that concluded "nobody did anything wrong, but there were changes we could make."

Clinton’s number is correct: there were seven previous congressional probes into the Benghazi attack. Saying these committees were led "mostly by Republicans" is also a fair assertion: the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs were the only two committees not led by Republicans. As for her comment that there was no overt wrongdoing, just room for improvement, that’s a rosy assessment. But it is also largely accurate. We rate this claim Mostly True.

And let us note, though I'm sure someone has previously
Quote:
Mr. Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor elected to Congress with support from the Tea Party, has repeatedly denied claims that he and other Republicans on the committee have a political agenda. But that position was not helped when one of his best friends in Congress, Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, told Fox News last fall that the committee had been an effective weapon against Mrs. Clinton and was an example of a conservative strategy “to fight and win.”
http://nyti.ms/29mVgjs
The success of this endeavor, as McCarthy also added, was indicated by Hillary being "hurt in the polls".

Quote:
I could also note that many (unlike you I can't speak for most or all) Democrats and "LW" poster here have indicated near certainty that Hillary will not be indicted under any circumstance. Does that imply that they know the fix is in? ... or perhaps they are cuckoo as well.

"The fix is in". I love that phrase. So let's put it to you, george. Do you think that is the case? If the FBI does not proceed with a criminal indictment, will you be unsurprised because the fix is in?

As to posters who lean liberal/democrat and who also believe the fix is in, I don't know who you mean and perhaps they could identify themselves here, but to your question, are they as nuts as a RW chap/chapess who will never accept an FBI finding that leaves Clinton undamaged? Of course. That's not complicated.
blatham

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:07 pm
Hell of a smart piece by Brian Beutler on conservatives putting power over principle. I've just quoted the first bit. Do read it all. http://bit.ly/29bYERC
Quote:
#NeverTrump has always meant different things to different conservatives. But the proximity of the Republican convention is bringing a key division within the campaign to stop Trump into sharp focus.

That division is between those who believe Trump should be denied the presidency, and those who believe Trump should be denied the GOP nomination altogether; it’s between those who recognize that Trump has forced the party to confront massive problems before it can responsibly stand for the presidency again, and those who seem to believe everything in the Republican Party was fine until Trump came along.

For the purposes of handicapping the coming election, the distinction is unimportant. As weak a candidate as Trump is proving to be, any not-Trump alternative who emerged from the convention as the nominee would be similarly weak, weighed down by a perception of illegitimacy among Trump supporters and other Republican voters.

But for the purposes of gaining insight into the right’s assessment of its own health, the schism matters a great deal.

0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 05:12 pm
This is why I'm glad Bernie hasn't formally left the presidential sweepstakes. Not so much that I expect an indictment, but if Clinton shenanigans continue on this scale - and there isn't one, people are growing QUITE weary of elitist Clinton bullshit.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:12 pm
@blatham,
Benghazi wasn't the subject of the discussion. That 2/3rds of your post was merely a distraction perhaps to evade the impression that you had nothing relevent to offer on the topic at hand.

The issues relevant to the violation of Government policy (in the case of the State Department, issued over Hillary's signature) relative to official e mails and the handling of classified information (marked or unmarked) are real and serious. The many denials thrown out by the Clinton machine, ranging from "others have done it", to nothing marked as classified... ", and no violation of Department policy occurred" have all been controverted by facts regarding what was actually done and thew rules that obtained at the time. Each is an interestingly contrived, only partly related half truth designed to distract and evade both the question and the real truth, all done in true Clinonian fashion ( depending, of corse on the meaning you assign to "done").

The stakes here are very high for Hillary, the Party and the current Administration, so the temptations are great. Equivalent cases in the past have involved an independent prosecutor.for precisely that reason. The record of the Justice Department in the past seven years is one of a highly politicized body, so the possibility is real. Do I believe that the current AG will like AG Richardson in the Nixon years resign rather than compromise - hard to say. It seems clear that her immediate predecessor would not consider doing so.

Perhaps the most encouraging evidence here is that Bill Clinton saw the need for an obviously prearranged meeting, perhaps to verify the status. The rather weak explanations so far put forward by the AG get a very high score on my phoneyometer. Do you believe her story?

Do you believe it was both spontaneous and just to discuss the grandkids?
Blickers

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:25 pm
@georgeob1,
Can't speak for blatham, but I believe it was done purposely by Bill Clinton just to rev the right wing noise machine up for yet another issue the non-rightwing public doesn't care about. At all.

The more this happens, the more the Republicans are established in the mind of the electorate as a group of people removed from their concerns. The result is that Hillary's position is strengthened.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:30 pm
Hillary meets with FBI this weekend.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/01/exclusive-hillary-clinton-scheduled-to-meet-with-fbi-on-saturday/
revelette2

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:00 pm
@Lash,
Good, perhaps soon it will be over and the FBI will announce one way or another. I will be relieved.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:03 pm
How many progressives do you know who support the death penalty?? Don't most progressives know the death penalty kills an inordinate number of black Americans??

Or does the Democrat party support incarcerating & frying up large swaths of black people??

revelette2

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:08 pm
@Lash,
Why do you fly from one subject to another trying to stir things up? Speaking for myself, I have always been sort of torn on the death penalty. I think the justice system has been unfair to minorities in all areas including the death penalty. The whole issue needs to be looked at and real solutions made, not just in one area. Take away the death penalty and minorities will still be treated unfairly in the justice system, just not dying.
Blickers

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 07:24 pm
@Lash,
Democrats do care about black lives. Take a look at the number of black murder victims by year. Stats from the FBI.
Under Reagan and Bush:
1987...... 8,998
1988...... 9,956

Bill Clinton Takes Office

Under Bill Clinton, there were 75,540 blacks murdered in eight years. At the rate of black homicide victims during Bush's last year, 94,216 blacks would be murdered during this time. Bill Clinton becoming president saved the lives of over 18,000 blacks.
blatham

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 08:49 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The record of the Justice Department in the past seven years is one of a highly politicized body, so the possibility is real.

So, you apparently are answering my question - "do you think the fix is in?" affirmatively. You could have been rather more honest and/or clear in your response - like "yes" or "probable to 90%". And you won't be alone in such a conclusion if no criminality is found. It will be the reigning thesis coming from all right wing media. You do grasp, I hope, that this is so.

Quote:
The rather weak explanations so far put forward by the AG get a very high score on my phoneyometer. Do you believe her story?

I don't have any reason not to.

Quote:
Benghazi wasn't the subject of the discussion.

I'm not sure what discussion you've been attending to here. Go back twenty pages and count the number of instances of the term "Benghazi". The email controversy arose, as I'm sure you know, out of the House Benghazi investigation.

The FBI investigation of possible breaches of law will find either that there was or was not such a breach. Then other questions will arise as to severity and precedent examples with former office holders. I'll be satisfied with their conclusions.

But most on the right will not be if the findings/conclusions leave Hillary untarnished to any significant degree.

Why that last sentence is true is exactly what makes my earlier post relevant.
blatham

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 09:18 pm
Here's an interesting thing. Rush Limbaugh yesterday http://bit.ly/29nqJls
Quote:
If Republican Donald Trump wins the White House in November, conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said he expects unprecedented “levels of violence” from upset liberals.

On his Thursday radio show, Limbaugh asked listeners to imagine the fallout from the political left immediately after a possible Trump win.

“I want you to think: What’s going to happen that night? What’s going to happen the next day? What’s going to happen every day thereafter?” he said. “What’s going to happen the day Trump gets inaugurated? What is the left going to do? They’re not going to just sit idly by and accept this."

“They’re going to do everything they can to undermine it, and I think we’re going to see levels of violence that we have not seen,” Limbaugh continued.

He went on to suggest anti-Trump forces would “intimidate” people into “reversing” a Trump win and doing “everything they can to see it that Trump never does get inaugurated.”

This is likely to strike you folks as really rather weird. First of all, the chances of Trump winning a general are exceedingly small. Don't ask me. Don't even bother with the polls. Just attend to voices across the right wing re their concerns of a Goldwater level debacle. Secondly, though there have been some outbreaks of violent behavior at political events over the last six months, most of that has been committed by Trump supporters.

Limbaugh, as always, is trying to get his audience emotionally upset. But that he is describing a scenario that has something close to zero chance of ever happening and placing "upset liberals" at the center of this horrible thing (that won't actually happen) is the interesting thing here.

So, what's he up to? He's suggesting that election-related violence will be and is driven by liberals. He's also, here, covering up or papering over the fact that the #NeverTrump movement is a Republican phenomenon. The serious threats to Trump's candidacy come from the right. It is other Republicans/conservatives who are trying to bring him down.

If you do listen to the sound file at the link, I will forgive you if you write something here about Limbaugh projecting. I actually don't think this amoral shitgibbon is projecting. I think he's just lying through his teeth because he is an amoral shitgibbon making somme 70 million dollars per year being an amoral shitgibbon.
roger

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 09:37 pm
@blatham,
I'll alert my friends in the Unitarian Jihad.
blatham

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 10:03 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I'll alert my friends in the Unitarian Jihad.

Please do. I've been doing my bit as I meet others through Muslim Mingle.
cicerone imposter

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 10:09 pm
@blatham,
And I'll contact the Buddhist Beagles from my end.
0 Replies

Blickers

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 10:18 pm
Folks who just can't stand Hillary's constant lying:

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 11:12 pm
Quote:
So I took Gowdy’s suggestion ]to read the 800 page committee report]. Despite its length (and some concerned questions from co-workers about my sanity), I read the report billed as the definitive account of the investigation into the deadly 2012 attack on the US compound.

Nothing in it convinced me of a devastating scandal. The scales did not fall from my eyes to expose the secret malevolence of the Obama administration.

But I did come away from it with an appreciation for how Gowdy himself could think the report was doing vital work. After slogging through it, I came to see why Republicans, who already fundamentally distrust the Obama administration, have seized on disclosures that might look minor to Democrats as searing indictments. That tendency — more than any self-conscious partisan gamesmanship — helps explain exactly why this zombified investigation has simply refused to die.
http://bit.ly/29nBrIL

glitterbag

Fri 1 Jul, 2016 11:53 pm
@blatham,
I may be the only one here who has actually participated in an NIE, and when all the principles are in a room agreeing on the draft, you will hear a State rep bring up certain concerns that might seem unnecessary to a newbie like Trite Gowdy. Unfortunately when Trite is day-dreaming about how much like superman the U.S. Military is, he is daydreaming and has no earthly idea how the Government Intell and Military and State work to achieve success. It's complicated, lives are in the balance and Trite and his merry bunch of morons are just a merry bunch of morons playing super sleuth.

I also know we have more time to draft a NIE, but it's the same lineup just at a higher level of pay grades during a situation like Benghazi.

PS I know what his real first name is, but it should be Trite or Triffling.
Lash

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:05 am
@revelette2,
Because progressives that I know are anti-death penalty - and many of them cite the reason I cited. The Democrat platform committee had to go against Hillary, who is pro-Desth penalty.

Why do you question me for stating a fact?
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:06 am
@Blickers,
You are a silly goofball.
0 Replies