When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

McGentrix

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 12:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Fast food is where most people making minimum wage work. Not too many accountants making minimum wage.

I appreciate Holum's conjecture. Probably even based on real actual science, but until it happens and we see the results, no one will know. I will leave this here...

Minimum wage effect? January to June job losses for Seattle area restaurants (-1,300) largest since Great Recession
ohno

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 12:52 pm
@parados,
Quote:
But you are convinced you are more patriotic than the rest of us.

I never used the word patriotic, you did. Any more things you would like to make up?
0 Replies

ohno

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 12:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Saying that the USA was founded on Christianity

Never said that either. I said the word creator. God is not just for Christians.

Why don't you comment on what I say, not what you think I say.
Blickers

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 12:58 pm
@McGentrix,
This chart is supposed to make your argument?? For all the big headlines, the dip in restaurant jobs in Seattle is barely perceptible!
https://www.aei.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/minwage.jpg
McGentrix

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:11 pm
@Blickers,
No, the entire article is supposed to support my argument. You really aren't very good at this.
Blickers

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:37 pm
@McGentrix,
The chart summarizes the article, it is what the article is complaining about. Love the way the article says biggest job loss in restaurants since the Great Recession, then the chart shows a BIG HUGE slump in restaurant jobs for 2008-9, and an eensy-teensy little downward blip which was actually headed back up at the end for the period when the new minimum wage went into effect. And they wrote a whole article about it. Sheesh, it doesn't take much to get you upset, does it?
Walter Hinteler

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:37 pm
@ohno,
ohno wrote:
Why don't you comment on what I say, not what you think I say.
Because I didn't comment on anything you wrote. Nor did I hear it.
But if the shoe fits, wear it!
ohno

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 01:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Because I didn't comment on anything you wrote. Nor did I hear it.
But if the shoe fits, wear it!

Pardon me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:06 pm
@Blickers,
Upset? I'm not upset as I don't live in Seattle and I make far more than minimum wage. It was making a point that you obviously missed. Instead of focusing in on such a narrow thing, why not show how the minimum wage increase will not have a negative effect on inflation and employment? That's how it works. I make a point and then you counter point. I am sure that a zoomed in chart showing the decrease in jobs could have been far more effective but the authors decided to show historical data. Trend was upwards until wage went up and then took a sharp turn down. A direct effect of the increased wage.
georgeob1

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:31 pm
@McGentrix,
A discussion with Blickers has several unusual features. She zeros in on a phrase or excerpt from your comments that she can interpret in a favorable way relative to some point she has in mind, and then goes to war on that, without regard to the meaning or central thread of any argument or assertion you may make. She hammers away at that in repeated posts while ignoring any meaningful comments you may make regarding the issue involved. She has little understanding of statistical analysis and no detectable grasp of the relative (%) changes in anything, treating any small difference in any marginally related statistic or measure as proof positive that she was right all along.

In short it's a waste of time. She has no insights or novel interpretations to offer; treats data as a weapon as opposed to seeking understanding of its meaning; and appears to regard a conversation as a contest as opposed to an exchange of ideas.
maporsche

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:35 pm
@georgeob1,
That being said, the dip in jobs in Seattle post $15 wage hike is pretty insubstantial all things considered. Price increases also are pretty marginal. In short, life goes on and restaurant workers can probably afford gas now.
McGentrix

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Thanks George. I was on the path of figuring that out. I keep wondering if it's me.
maporsche

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:38 pm
http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/01/seattle-restaurant-jobs-increase.html

An update from January on the Seattle restaurant job scene, in case any of you were looking for a career/location change.

Quote:
Immediately following the wage hike, there was a drop in restaurant jobs, from 135,300 in January to 133,300 in May, which caused some to go all doom-and-gloom and falsely say it was causing restaurant closures in Seattle. A think tank called American Enterprise Institute pointed to it as proof that a higher minimum wage would have a negative effect on the industry. But those lost jobs have since been gained and then some, with 2,900 added following the May low point, and a total net gain of 900 jobs since January.

georgeob1

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 02:44 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

That being said, the dip in jobs in Seattle post $15 wage hike is pretty insubstantial all things considered. Price increases also are pretty marginal. In short, life goes on and restaurant workers can probably afford gas now.

Could be. I haven't been following the recent conversation. With respect to that issue I would like to see the numerical value of the reduction in employment in that industry in Seattle and compare the before and after total wages paid . Restaurants are a risky business for new starts - any where from 20- 30 % usually fold within a few months. This will certainly add to the risk and uncertainty for startups and the ensuing long term effects that can go with it. Italy's economy presents numerous examples of this - enterprise creation is minimal and the modernization that goes with it largely absent. In general I would prefer to see the market rule in these cases.

Seattle is booming right now and, like San Francisco where I live, rapidly pricing itself out of the reach of new middle class residents. The point here is there are also other unseen side effects to all this.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 03:05 pm
I trust we all understand what AEI actually is? If not, a perusal of the wikipedia page on them will fill you in fairly well. There are some good people there (Norm Ornstein, for example) but it is overwhelmingly (and by design) a "think tank" dedicated to forwarding conservative political ideology and the GOP. David Frum's history with AEI is revealing http://wapo.st/1PV441a
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 03:12 pm
@georgeob1,
Good analysis. I was for a long time that way also. But, now, if I don't have a good answer, I prefer to acknowledge same and proceed from there.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 06:36 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1 about Blickers
Quote:
...no insights or novel interpretations to offer; treats data as a weapon as opposed to seeking understanding of its meaning; and appears to regard a conversation as a contest as opposed to an exchange of ideas.

You said that more people were working before Obama took office and that wages were lower. I produced a chart showing that there Millions more working Full Time, and that inflation-adjusted median weekly pay was higher. You dismissed the Full Time chart as being beside the point. I produced the chart for all jobs, Full Time and Part Time. Your response? I don't grasp the whole picture and I'm a waste of time to talk to.

If you are going to build an idea upon other ideas, then it is relevant to examine each idea as you go along. If someone is building a bridge and one of the supports is located in quicksand, it's a good idea to let the builders know before they open the bridge and cars start driving into the river. Sorry if my examination, using charts, throws your overall grand vision into problems, but that is what discussion is for, isn't it? Especially when your ideas, like the one discussed, is frequently bandied about as truth by a large group of people. Why shouldn't I debunk it, and why shouldn't I use charts from reliable sources to do so? I thought that was what the forum was about.
ehBeth

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 06:45 pm
@Blickers,
keep on keeping on Blickers
it's good to see you and maporsche (who I've missed) getting the facts out
georgeob may not appreciate it, but others of us do
Blickers

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 06:48 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote McGentrix:
Quote:
I keep wondering if it's me.

No, it's you, georgeob1, and Lash. So far. More to be added, possibly.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 06:51 pm
@Blickers,
The way I interpret the chart is that net loss of jobs during that short period is not that significant when there's an uptick after that short period of drop.
0 Replies