past simple and past perfect

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 01:45 am
The wind was blowing more strongly than before and the waves were higher and more terrible than they .... a) were B) had been

which answer would you choose? Personally, I think the right answer might be B) had been I am not sure of my opinion though. If I am wrong feel free to correct me,please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 720 • Replies: 4
No top replies

FBM

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 02:17 am
@ificouldreturnit,
ificouldreturnit wrote:

The wind was blowing more strongly than before and the waves were higher and more terrible than they .... a) were B) had been

which answer would you choose? Personally, I think the right answer might be B) had been I am not sure of my opinion though. If I am wrong feel free to correct me,please.

b) is correct. The past perfect requires two events or states for a comparison.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 05:49 am
Either one could work:

The wind was blowing more strongly than before and the waves were higher and more terrible than they were the week before.

The wind was blowing more strongly than before and the waves were higher and more terrible than they had been the night before.
0 Replies

ificouldreturnit

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 03:22 am
I am grateful to both of you for your helpful replies. All the members in this forum are really kind and nice people.
FBM

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 03:25 am
@ificouldreturnit,
You're welcome. Hope it was helpful. Smile
0 Replies