What does "it's a bit like it just sort of computes" mean?

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 07:29 am
Does it mean "it's a bit like it - just some calculations"?

Context:

Religious views

Penrose is an atheist.[29] In the film A Brief History of Time, he said, "I think I would say that the universe has a purpose, it's not somehow just there by chance ... some people, I think, take the view that the universe is just there and it runs along – it's a bit like it just sort of computes, and we happen somehow by accident to find ourselves in this thing. But I don't think that's a very fruitful or helpful way of looking at the universe, I think that there is something much deeper about it."[30] Penrose is a Distinguished Supporter of the British Humanist Association.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 560 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 11:33 am
@oristarA,
What some people apparently think is somewhat like the observation that the Universe isn't guided but, like a computer, simply runs as accorded by its construction

The implication, it is the way it is because that's the way it has to be, perhaps wasn't created but was always here in one form or another

Con, help
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 12:37 pm
– it's a bit like it just sort of computes,

This is an example of conversational vagueness or qualification

Phrases like "it's a bit like"; "sort of"; "kind of"; "in a way" etc are used when the speaker is expressing a degree of tentativeness or hesitancy. The speaker has used two such phrases. Of course, some very annoying people speak like that all the time.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 05:29 am
Thank you both.
So " it's a bit like it just sort of computes" mean "it's a bit like a mathematical calculation or computation"?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 01:33 pm
@oristarA,
But Ori you gotta give Con above, credit

Quote:
So " it's a bit like it just sort of computes" mean "it's a bit like a mathematical calculation or computation"?
Yes inasmuch as its implication that supernatural intervention isn't required
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 02:06 pm
It seems to me that Penrose is using that way of expression deliberately -

"some people, I think, take the view that the universe is just there and it runs along – it's a bit like it just sort of computes, and we happen somehow by accident to find ourselves in this thing. But I don't think that's a very fruitful or helpful way of looking at the universe"

He is summarizing the point of view of "some people" that he disagrees with, and making them sound stupid or vague or shallow. In this way he is suggesting that they give insufficient thought to the topic of how the universe came about and how it continues. Or maybe he thinks they are deliberately avoiding thinking about that. Like the father who says "I asked my son how the car got a dent, and he said 'Duh, it just sort of happened'". So maybe like the contrex person said, Penrose finds those people annoying, or their attitude unfruitful and unhelpful.
oristarA

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 07:43 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thoughtful.
Thanks.
0 Replies