Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 03:01 pm
That's a big subject description, as different kinds of violence do happen in schools. I am interested both in the subject in general re everyday school violence, differing from place to place, and the extraordinary situations that make national and international news sites notice. Both must affect teachers in a lot of ways.

I never even considered being a teacher myself, being an only child in a family that moved a lot. I couldn't imagine my being able to handle a roomful of children. I've had quite a few teacher friends, bless'em, and many instructors who taught me that I am thankful for. I've never girded my loins and become, say, a middle school teacher, even for an hour. I've lectured at a university a couple of times, but that's a different gig: somewhat scary but not what I would think of as a big control problem, much less danger filled.

I bring this up because of an article about a teacher in Oregon who had been through a traumatic shooting threat now suing the Oregon school district for not warning her about a drill -

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teacher-sues-oregon-elementary-school-traumatic-active-shooter-drill-n345631

I've no immediate opinion re her case; just thinking that a lot of teachers probably go through at least some violence anxiety, in the U.S., but elsewhere too.

I know all teachers aren't perfect people, but my perception is that the majority of them try hard to help children learn. Learn what is another question, probably better for another thread.

Any teachers here who want to address the matter of violence in or at schools?
It's not easy on children either..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,734 • Replies: 7
No top replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 03:37 pm
Her reaction is not unexpected and her suit is not without merit. She probably is suffering from PTSD, compounded by her feelings of inadequacy and betrayal for thinking it was a real event.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 04:02 pm
@giujohn,
Nods.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:21 pm
@ossobuco,
That sounds pretty traumatic!

The article doesn't mention whether kids were in the classroom at the time but I think that would make it doubly traumatic for her. I wonder how the kids dealt with this mess.

This kind of drill seems so unnecessary.
boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:28 pm
The Oregonian article on this has some more info.

Kids weren't in class that day -- it was an "in service day" meaning only the teachers were there.

There's also this, which I find interesting:

Quote:
The sheriff's office also reviewed concealed-carry permits ahead of the drill to ensure that no teachers would fire back at Thatcher and school board member John Minarich, who also was armed and similarly attired.

Minarich was described in court papers as the principal and president of Alpine Alarm.

A school board member is the president of the alarm company that ran the drill?

The teacher has been ostracized by the whole town?

Here's the whole article:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/04/teacher_terrified_by_surprise.html
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:36 pm
@boomerang,
That is my instinct, but I'm not sure about that opinion of mine.

A mild story by me is that as a senior in high school, extremely frightened to make a speech (yes, I've changed a bit), I was giving a speech in front of the whole class, nearly cold with anxiety, when the fire alarm went off and we all had to leave the building. I don't remember details except that I passed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:37 pm
@boomerang,
Thanks, off to read.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 06:14 pm
Off hand, I don't think that kind of verisimilitude is useful in a drill situation.
Was this all for some sort of pranky fun, given there would be a drill? Not that you know, just wondering.
0 Replies