Social Deconstruction of "Do the Right Thing"

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 12:46 pm
I am in a college course and I have to deconstruct a film in terms of its relationship to issues of race and ethnicity, social class, and gender. Other Questions I have to answer are:
How is race (also race, nationality) social class, (occupation, educational level, and economic status) and gender represented in the film?
What roles do the characters have?
What connections do the characters have to the narrative outcome of the movie?
What level does the narrative of the story contribute to the social construction of race, social class, and gender?

Now, while I don't need you to write the paper for me, that's not what I'm asking for. What I'm asking for is how to go about this. I'm having trouble on where to start. Sociology is not my strong subject and I need a starting point. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,264 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 01:08 pm
@iseah100,
I can't help - I didn't see the movie - but will be interested in how you end up working your paper out.

Me? I'd probably start by scribbling some of my different thoughts about the film in general in no particular order, and then different reactions I had while watching it; I'd look at that list you wrote to see what I could answer, and then to see how that fit with my scribbled (or typed) thoughts. You may develop a lot of ideas of what to say as you go along figuring out what you think.

You could read a bunch of film reviews, but I think it's fresher to do your own thinking first. Anyway, good luck and have some fun doing the assignment. It should be an interesting process.
0 Replies