Rly ? Is this true ?

Ionus

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:22 am
What things can you do in the USA that you cannot do in Germany?

Live completely rent-free in an RV in the middle of nature on the vast public lands, such as national forests, where you are allowed to stay anywhere you like.

Ionus

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:24 am
@Ionus,
In Australia it is camping sites, entry fees and camping fees .
FBM

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:33 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

What things can you do in the USA that you cannot do in Germany?

Live completely rent-free in an RV in the middle of nature on the vast public lands, such as national forests, where you are allowed to stay anywhere you like.

Do you mean that this is allowed in Germany or the US?
Ionus

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:35 am
@FBM,
Its allowed in the USA but not Germany . Is that true ?
FBM

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:40 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Its allowed in the USA but not Germany . Is that true ?

Not that I'm aware of. As in Ozzieland, there are designated parking/camping spots and there are usually fees. Some states have local preservation areas that are free of charge, though the one I'm aware of has a time limit of a week, IIRC. That said, an industrious person could probably figure out a series of free spots to park free on the long term.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:47 am
@Ionus,
I'm calling hogwash against your undereducated assumptions and hyperbole. Cite your sources please. A lot of national parks have camping fees. Many public parks don't allow camping.

On the other hand, some cattle ranchers do (if I understand it correctly) have free use of some national parks in the midwest for their cattle to roam. This is despicable as those assholes tend to be hypocritical antitax conservatives. Talk about selfish assholes who love to overlook they're own freeloading and partaking in government welfare.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:57 am
Since Germany has some centuries more of landownership the USA and since Germany is a lot smaller, we don't have "vast public land".

But you can stay with your RV on many places, free and as long as you wish ... if that's in accordance with laws and by-laws.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 09:09 am
@Ionus,
My camping experience in the US is that it is the same as in Canada - camping fees in local/state/national parks. Also fees for simply visiting most of the parks. We found Wisconsin outrageous - they charged in blocks as small as 2 hours for visiting some parks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 09:25 am
@Ionus,
I've done camping in the USA just in three states, and found the situation there very similar to that in Germany and other European countries.

When was it, Ionus, that you noticed those above said differences? And in what states of the USA and Germany?
mesquite

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 01:46 pm
@Ionus,
National Parks and National Monuments have fees. National Forests generally do not except for areas where there are improved roads and facilities. For example, Coronado National Forest near Tucson has some fee areas.

In Arizona there is a lot of National Forest land in addition to the national parks, monuments, recreation areas, etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 02:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
He was just asking a question.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 02:09 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

In Australia it is camping sites, entry fees and camping fees .

Essentially the same in the US, especially with utility connections.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:40 pm
http://www.quora.com/What-things-can-you-do-in-Germany-that-you-cannot-do-in-the-USA

http://www.quora.com/What-things-can-you-do-in-the-USA-that-you-cannot-do-in-Germany
Ionus

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I'm calling hogwash against your undereducated assumptions and hyperbole.
You see all that in a question ?

Quote:
This is despicable as those assholes tend to be hypocritical antitax conservatives. Talk about selfish assholes who love to overlook they're own freeloading and partaking in government welfare.
Remain calm . This huge threat to the universe shall be overcome .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:48 pm
@Ionus,
some of that stuff about Germany is about as true as the stuff they say for the US (iow not). Bits of some of them are true - but none of the sets of lists that I looked at within those links reflect either country accurately - or at least my experiences in both.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 08:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
When was it, Ionus, that you noticed those above said differences? And in what states of the USA and Germany?
Regrettably, I have never been to either . My "travels", although extensive, never went there . I was browsing the internet and came across Quora, and the statement didnt seem right but this is A2K so I thought I would ask . I was hoping you would respond, being one of the politest people here and also one who has traveled in both countries .
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 09:27 pm
This is the only free one I know of:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Natchez_Trace_Parkway
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 10:09 pm
Thanks everyone for contributing, I had hoped to travel more again one day and I am particularly fond of National Parks type stuff .
knaivete

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 11:08 pm
@Ionus,
Free parking. Be where the dropbears do drop in.

Quote:
But Warringah Council is set to crack down on campers set up at Millers Reserve in Manly Vale, asking residents to call police if they spot squatters.
The Manly Daily understands the area is a common spot for groups of travellers to set up camp, use the public toilets to shower, set up a barbecue to cook food and hang their washing on nearby trees...

The campers are allowed to stay because Warringah Council neglected to install signs saying “no overnight parking”.

http://newslocal.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 05:22 pm
@knaivete,
That's a beautiful area. I wouldn't mind dropping in.
I hope you weren't washed/blown away in the storms.