Jonathan Franzen re climate change and immediate area care

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 05:31 pm
Franzen is an author I have had mixed feelings about for reasons I barely remember. He seems pretty self oriented, when quoted about his writing, but on the other hand, this is usual with humans and some of his characterizations in his books reflect his understanding of people.

I read some article now years ago by him, probably in the New Yorker, about the situation for birds in China at the time, and was horrified to learn all that, and interested.

Now there is another article, and in it he takes climate change as an ongoing deal happening, and wants us to move our notice to small changes that matter now, and no, not about changing light bulbs.

I was not all that happy with the article at first, it seemed to flop around and I tended to disagree, but his point of view grew on me.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/06/carbon-capture

Dept. of the Environment
Carbon Capture
Has climate change made it harder for people to care about conservation?
April 6, 2015
BY JONATHAN FRANZEN

Last September, as someone who cares more about birds than the next man, I was following the story of the new stadium that the Twin Cities are building for their football Vikings. The stadium’s glass walls were expected to kill thousands of birds every year, and local bird-lovers…

(more at the site)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,792 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 06:11 pm
I see I should have titled this climate change vs. immediate area care, in term of our idividual actions.

Oh, well.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Jonathan Franzen re climate change and immediate area care
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:21:29