So you're thinking of becoming a teacher?

Jesusgirl22

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:06 pm
Roger,
I'm still living and breathing respiratory therapy but teaching is what I always wanted to do. This is my last chance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:17 pm
Strong hi, to jg, and now to dream 2020, really glad to see you post here, dream, I've missed connecting with you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:45 am
Hmmm - I ran very fast from teaching mid-way through my post-grad teaching degree.

I HATED the bureaucracy - and was not fond of 99% of the teachers I was meeting. I still have a lot to do with them - and still find the school system appalling (top-down, fad-driven at the top - and hence to the poor bastards below - to the point of insanity, grossly under-resourced - as is my area - full of miserable people, all too often very negative re the kids, full of themselves in areas where they have no expertise etc.)

A good teacher is, of course, a thing of wonder and worth their weight in gold.

Re money - with 9 years of tertiary study, until 1997 I was earning about $10,000 less than my teacher friends, who had studied for three or four years. I probably now earn about the same as a base-grade teacher - and I am a senior in my profession.

I still wouldn't do it, though. Not for any money - though I enjoy teaching adults - and I work with kids. I still hate having to go to schools.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:13 am
http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/graphs/earnings/2413EA.gif

I hope this works.

Here is an indication of teacher salaries in South Australia. Note these are averaged for the two groups and compared with other groups in the community.

I constantly hear complaints from teachers about bureaucratic overload, near impossibility of running courses with so many children absent on extra-curricular activities and the high incidence of behavourial problems. The casualty rate among them is high and I believe retention rates for new trainees is low.
0 Replies

Jesusgirl22

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 10:41 am
As a new elementary teacher, I know I will not make as much money as I can in The Breathing Game, but I can supplement the teaching money with a few shifts now and then in respiratory. If the teaching thing proves to not work, I can always fall back on respiratory.

Regarding bureaucracy...it's everywhere. Political crap is very rampant in healthcare too. Those of us who are intent on serving our students, patients, etc. have to learn how to function in spite of red tape and handcuffs, even if we end up doing things sideways or through the back door.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:33 pm
I'm guessing everyone here on this thread so far is from the USA and when teacher is used, it is referring to high school and/or primary school teaching. I'm from Australia, and more thinking along the lines of academic, university lecturer.

There's alot of respect for academics - apparently they earn heaps just for a presentation. Getting a job as a lecturer/academic is more and more competetive - a Masters is the minimum. and the job is easy, and enjoyable. I think so anyway, I am into the law/academic profession so I wouldn't mind.

Anyway, that's just my input from Oz.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 05:14 pm
I think that "adjusting" the teacher's pay is a miscalculation altogether.

I teach 200 days of the year, and I am paid only for those days. Summer, weekends, and other vacations are off the clock. I am also unable to take vacations outside of the 165 allocated to me (which, incedentally, are always high season).
Where the miscopnception arises is in that my 200 days pay is divided into 12 equal installments, so I get paid in the summer months, but technically, it's money owed to me from the previous 9 or so months of work.
0 Replies

interestinteaching

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:17 pm
teaching
i'm thinking of applying to Chicago's Teacher's Fellowship program. i've always wanted to teach. the program emphasizes teaching in high-need schools, requires no teaching experience, helps you pay for your certification and has a competitive starting salary $43,200.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:34 pm
littlek wrote:
I have been considering teaching for my entire adult life. I am still thinking it'd be the best way for me to find employment after I am done with this schtick I'm doing now. The major thing holding me back is the systemic bullhoocky that Sozobe mentioned above.

Just a little more than 3 years has passed since that post! And, I'm nearly done with my master's in ed! Teachers have ways to deal with or slide around the bureaucracy. Sometimes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:00 pm
You already started teaching full time, right?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:22 pm
Me? Nope, I'm student teaching full-time. Not working, technically, as I don't get a paycheck. Not a teacher, technically, as I don't have a license. Yet.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 05:02 pm
@roger,
bookmark....
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2010 06:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Quote:
Reading, Writing, and Landscaping

Mowing lawns, scrubbing bathrooms, selling stereos: How teachers make ends meet

link to Mother Jones article

Quote:
The latest statistics put the average teacher's salary at about $46,000; some teachers earn a little more, some a little less (the average teacher's salary�-not the starting salary�-is $38,000 in Kansas, $36,000 in New Mexico, and $32,000 in South Dakota). Overall, that's about the same that we pay pile-driver operators ($45,980) and about $8,000 less than the average elevator repairman pulls down. Meanwhile, a San Francisco dockworker makes about $115,000, while the clerk who logs shipping records into the longshoreman's computer makes $136,000.

Quote:
The first step to creating an education system full of the best teachers we can find is to pay them in line with their importance to their communities. We pay orthodontists an average of $350,000, and no one would say that their impact on the lives of kids is greater than a teacher's. But it seems difficult for everyone, from parents to politicians, to shake free of a tradition in which teaching was seen as something of a volunteer project for women whose husbands brought home the real money. Today's teachers need to, but very often can't, support a family on their salaries.

With information like this, why do so many of us still say that we'd like to be teachers? The jobs don't pay well, the papers are full of articles about teachers being abused, and the bureaucracy is unbelievable within most school systems. What are we thinking?

A simple bind
To blind the mind
Of those too young to see
We educate
To dissipate
All curiosity
Letty

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 03:23 pm
@stevecook172001,
Amazing, Steve. The very first thing that I posted on a forum was "Curiosity" using this quote that I heard a young woman say: "my curiosity managed to survive the public school system."

Thanks for the reminder.

stevecook172001

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2010 05:15 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:

Amazing, Steve. The very first thing that I posted on a forum was "Curiosity" using this quote that I heard a young woman say: "my curiosity managed to survive the public school system."

Thanks for the reminder.

Thank you Letty

I wrote that poem to stick in the front of my lesson planner to remind me each morning of what I am ideally there for and, as importantly, to remind me what I am not there for no matter what the professional pressures.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 01:12 am
@fishin,
fishin wrote:
An orthodontist also pays several other people out of that $350K/year. How many other full time employees do teachers pay for out of what they get paid?

The other numbers are a some slight of hand too. Why do they use average teacher salaries from some of the lowest cost of living areas in the country and then point to one dockworker and one clerk's salary in S.F? (One of the highest cost of living areas in the country.) I'd wager the average dockworker in S.F doesn't make $115K/year.

For a little more realistsic look at numbers:

These numbers are all averages for San Diego County, CA:

High School Teacher $55,097
Biological Scientists $52,300
Elementary-school Teacher: $51,015
Management Analyst $50,797
Postsecondary Math Teacher: $49,426
Chemist: $49,122
Registered Nurse: $46,481
Accountants: $42,774

When you adjust the salaries for the teachers to account for the fewer numbers of days they work each year their salaries are inflated to $65,768 for High-school-teachers and $60,972 for elementary-school teachers.

I'm not saying teachers are the best paid people in the world (they aren't!) but they aren't hurting in comparison either.
WOW!!! Shockingly low salaries!
O, my goodness!!!
0 Replies