Why do people react negatively or at lease pretend to react negatively to racism

Wed 15 Apr, 2015 12:50 pm
After a long visit to St Louis, I couldn't help but wonder why people dislike racism so much. On the street, I see black people never follow any traffic rules in general and they throw trash and spit on the road with no regards to the rules. Despite all statistics saying blacks are more prone to crimes, none is allowed a racist interpretation. i hear this all the time that black employees are on average the underperformer in any job. That does NOT say that there are no extraordinarily smart blacks, but there should be a line drawn between blaming racism vs blaming the self. Only by recognizing shortcomings can one become better and blacks typically blame racism when they aren't successful. Yet the liberals often side with such practices and want lower sat scores for admitting black students to top schools. In fact, law suits have been filed for reverse discrimination because blacks are often given an unfair advantage. Yet these people who speaks of this truth are again labelled a racist.

McGentrix

Wed 15 Apr, 2015 01:13 pm
racist.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 15 Apr, 2015 01:27 pm
@Angelgz2,
apparently it's still 1963 somewhere
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 15 Apr, 2015 05:21 pm
@Angelgz2,
racist.
0 Replies

Angelgz2

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 10:00 am
@Angelgz2,
I should correct my first sentence to "why do people dislike negative comments toward a specific group or ethnicity." Racism should be defined as hatred towards one race without basis. However certain comments are made with thorough social statistics and firm basis should NOT be labeled as racism. I actually have a well respected African American friend who strongly oppose giving block people any advantage over anything, especially in academia. He thinks that agreeing to accept blacks into schools with lower scores IS racism because the authorities are thus implying that blacks can't score the same as everyone else.
ehBeth

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 10:11 am
@Angelgz2,
Anecdotes are not statistics.

Racist.
0 Replies

cogburn

Thu 16 Apr, 2015 10:23 am
People who can call someone a racist based on what he or she said in that OP are the problem.
0 Replies

Angelgz2

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:39 am
It is interesting (and unfortunate) to see the direction this nation is going. Evaluate the following 2 sentences:

"Most whites people are closet racists."
"Most black people are prone to a specific crime"

Both are hasty generalizations towards a specific race with little basis in this context. However I would bet most people find the 2nd one much more offensive and racist, although in reality both are equally offensive. They both accuses one race of doing something not generally approved.

Ps, any conclusion made based on sample size > 30 drawn randomly is considered statistically significant. Someone should return to school
ehBeth

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:15 pm
@Angelgz2,
Angelgz2 wrote:
However I would bet most people find the 2nd one much more offensive and racist

how much money have you got?
Angelgz2

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Enough to get by, and now I'm interested to actually do a poll on that. I also bet that minority races will find comments towards their race more offensive despite inherently the statements can be equally offensive.
Butrflynet

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 01:55 pm
@Angelgz2,
What I find offensive is your use of pigeon-holed generalizations and stereotyping regardless of which social group you are speaking about.

It is the same as me saying all A2K forum posters must be racists because a forum poster named Angelgz2 makes racist generalizations when she posts there.
Angelgz2

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
"All" is much stronger assertion than "most" or "on average". It is very sad that when it comes to comments toward a specific race, words are often twisted to make it look much more extreme than they really are.
Angelgz2

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:53 pm
@Angelgz2,
Yet no one commented on lower test scores for admitting blacks to top schools because it is to their advantage at other races' expense. Whatever policy that is to that race's advantage, although may be Inherently racist, is entirely ignored.
0 Replies

FBM

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:29 pm
@Angelgz2,
Angelgz2 wrote:

...I actually have a well respected African American friend who strongly oppose giving block people any advantage over anything, especially in academia...

I agree. Block people shouldn't be given extra priveleges. However, it's sloppy reasoning to say that all block people are the same. There's an incredible degree of diversity within the block community. For example, one can be a block person and yet not be a cube. Stereotyping them just leads to trouble for everyone, blocks and non-blocks alike. That's just square. You need to lego of that idea.
ehBeth

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:30 pm
@FBM,
Mr. Green
FBM

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Heehee...
0 Replies

fill

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:47 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Block people shouldn't be given extra priveleges.

Another person that wont answer the question. Why should Blacks get a pass on actual scores? People do not want people hired on merit?
FBM

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:53 pm
@fill,
I was talking about block people.
fill

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:57 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
I was talking about block people.

None of this is funny, and attitudes that keep the victim thing going only hurt the chances of your "Block" people.
FBM

Sat 18 Apr, 2015 08:16 am
@fill,
Don't act like such a blockhead.
0 Replies