Why does McConaughey film those Lincoln ads?

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 12:57 am
Why is Matthew McConaughey doing Lincoln Commercials. He has talent oozing from his pores, why would he endorse a car. His movies are great, I dont begrudge him extra income, I just wonder why he agreed to such a silly ad campaign, commenting that it's not about being a tree huger, but it's not about wastefulness either. Great, if he likes to drive a Lincoln not because it's cool, then why is he driving a Lincoln. Apparently he likes to drive them at sunset.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 03:47 am
@glitterbag,
You already answered your own question. Money. Probably an obscene level of money. Heck! He probably got a free Lincoln to boot.

Maybe he was doing a favor for a relative or friend in the ad agency?

Try to not overthink it. It's a multi-million dollar national ad campaign not a political statement.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 07:52 am
He's driven Lincolns for years. He's an authentic spokesperson.

I really don't care. The ads memorize me.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 07:59 am
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 10:19 am
I absolutely get the notion it pays well, they just sound unsettling to me. Of course it didn't help seeing Jim Carrey doing a parody of those ads on SNL a month or so ago.

But if some of you folks like the ads, they must be effective.
Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
@glitterbag,
I agree I don't like these ads. But then again it is unlikely I'd buy a lincoln so maybe they are geared to those people who would like to buy a Lincoln.

Its gotta be cash -- they must be paying him a boatload.

His ads are great parody for many - just search utube -- besides SNL this ad has been made fun of on Conan, Ellen, and South Park.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 03:11 pm
@Linkat,
I know, the comedians think they struck gold.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 03:36 pm
I suspect it has to do with an advertising connection to his recent movie, The Lincoln Lawyer.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2015 06:52 pm
@Butrflynet,
Lincoln Lawyer was sooooooo 2011. That's 20 years in media years.
firefly

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 06:59 pm
@glitterbag,
Many very big name American movie stars do commercials for a ton of money--but they do them overseas so they won't cheapen their image in the U.S.
Quote:
Leonardo DiCaprio and the easy money of foreign commercials
by Jeff Labrecque
January 18 2015

“I’m trying to make movies in my life … that last longer than opening weekend. That’s it, that’s my whole goal. I don’t have to make money; I do films for scale and then, you know, I go do coffee commercials overseas, and I make a lot of money so I get to live in a nice house. … And I don’t give a sh-t. And people will go, ‘Oh that’s a sellout.’ And you know what? F–k you.” – George Clooney, 2012

Clooney wasn’t at his most eloquent as he justified starring in Italian coffee commercials during a Newsweek pre-Oscar roundtable last year, but his blunt assessment captures the bottom-line truth that lures many Hollywood celebrities. Look at Leonardo DiCaprio, whose Japanese commercial for Jim Beam recently popped up on the internet and instantly raised eyebrows. Why is Leonardo DiCaprio, arguably the most famous Hollywood celebrity in the world, making commercials?

In the United States, when a famous actor appears in a commercial, there are fears that it can undermine, or at least cheapen, his celebrity. (For example, what was your reaction when Adrien Brody pitched Stella Artois during the 2011 Super Bowl? “Smooth!” or, “Oof, did he already pawn his Oscar?”) American celebs are more willing to provide their voices to a commercial than their faces, and when they do lend their fame to a product in faraway places like Japan or Italy, they often have contractual reassurances that evidence of the corporate relationship never makes it back to the States. (To which the Internet says, “Haaaaa-ha!”)

So why do they do it? Duh, money. Lots of it, as Clooney admitted. ”I couldn’t believe the money they were paying me,” the late Dennis Hopper once told EW, after popping up in an unusual TV commercial for Japanese bath products. ”If I could do one of these every year, I could retire.”

Dennis Hopper? Playing in the bath with a rubber ducky? Yes, that really happened – and David Lynch was not involved. But don’t look down your nose at him or the other celebs who’ve turned two days of work in Tokyo into a bucolic vacation home in the south of France. Celebs have sold their fame in foreign commercials – typically in Asian markets – for decades. Orson Welles and Sean Connery were peddling Japanese whiskey long before Bill Murray’s fading movie star in Lost in Translation went East for a quick payday. It makes you wonder what a beloved Hollywood icon like Paul Newman would have said about all this trading on fame. Fortunately, back in 1980, he addressed the issue directly. Click below for Newman’s refreshing take, and then peruse some of Hollywood’s biggest celebrities starring in foreign commercials. (Quick! Before their legal minions force their removal from the web!)
http://www.ew.com/article/2013/02/19/leonardo-dicaprio-celebrity-foreign-commercials

Paul Newman for Maxwell House (Japan): Coffee… but no popcorn?

Click on the link to the above article to view many more foreign commercials starring some of Hollywood's biggest celebrities, including George Clooney and Leonardo DiCaprio.
http://www.ew.com/article/2013/02/19/leonardo-dicaprio-celebrity-foreign-commercials
chai2

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 08:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Lincoln Lawyer was sooooooo 2011. That's 20 years in media years.

But that's the first thing I thought of, the movie.

It may not be from yesterday, but people will still associate it in their minds.

Why, I even remember when he played bongo drums naked!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 09:20 pm
@firefly,
I can't begrudge the actors making money. With so much news devoted or obsessed about every move, burp or fashion mistake the actors, singers, etc. may or may not have made, I think they should clean up while they can. But for some reason, the Lincoln commercials seem so moody and somber stuffed full of faux seriousness the strike me funny. But honestly if someone offered me a ton of money to wax poetic over a Lincoln, a Kia or even a Lady's razor, I'm there.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 09:33 pm
J.K. Simmons does the commercials for Farmers Insurance, I love those. He is everywhere, played a Convict in Oz, chief something in The Closer, Major Crimes, a Psychiatrist in Law in a Order, Special Victims, and others I probably can't remember. He also starred in Whiplash, and I saw him years ago in "laughter on the 42d floor' a play at the old Mechanic Theater in Baltimore.

I don't know if that was the first thing I ever saw him in, but he looked so familiar, great face with smiling eyes. I'm not saying he was handsome but very interesting looking. I'm not sure if this is true for all women, but I can find men attractive even if they are not movie star polished handsome. I like a face with personality.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 06:46 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
But for some reason, the Lincoln commercials seem so moody and somber stuffed full of faux seriousness the strike me funny

That's exactly my reaction to them as well. I find them funny.

They seem to have a deliberately self-parodying quality, but as long as they get noticed, and people remember they are selling Lincolns, they accomplish their purpose.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 08:18 am
I just watched the commercial on youtube.

At :55 he's driving over the Lamar St. Bridge over Lady Bird Lake. That's the Franklin Building that's kinda triangular shaped, and the Frost Building to its right (that's all lit up) in the background. Oh, in Austin.

I thought his voice was soothing during the commercial.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 09:22 am
I cringe every time I see the Lincoln add. I’ll never forget the time my dad bought that new Lincoln. It was in the shop every three months for something. Everything went out twice before the 50k warranty was up, including the transmission.

When he was finally fed up with it I drove with him to the dealer to trade it in, it broke down two blocks from the dealership.
Cool
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 09:37 am
@jcboy,
He must have gotten a lemon.

My dad and grandmother always had lincolns. I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

The only one I can remember disliking was this one, because of the color.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/117799/117799_Side_Profile_Web.jpg
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 09:39 am
@chai2,
BTW, see that opera window in the back?

My friend and I would be driving around, and he'd see a lincoln with one and call out. "Oh look, there's Maria Callas!"
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 09:39 am
@chai2,
That's what he called it a lemon. It was a pretty car and nice ride, but that was about all Cool
chai2

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 09:43 am
@jcboy,
I'm feeling all nostalgic now.

Lots of memories driving that boat around.
0 Replies