"Keep Updated with Research Info"email received

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 09:31 am
Hi all -

I got this odd email. Usually if I find something like this I can find if it is a shady item or real by doing a simple google or other internet search.

This one I cannot find any information - it just seems odd because they aren't trying to get money, or obvious spam or scam type things. Of course I did not open any links.

Hello,

I am James Hydock and I am a freelance journalist and I periodically write about interesting developments in the research world. I am trying to increase my subscriber base and thought you might be interested to hear about such developments, hence sending you this email.

If you are interested, Please just reply back with a "Yes" message. Please do not reply if you are Not Interested. I will automatically remove all users from my list who do not reply.

There are some links to click and stuff - but you don't need all that -- this is the closing

Thanks,
James Hydock
4361 Heather Beacon Estates,
Iowa, Virginia, 23700-5054
If you don't want to receive further emails, please click here

There is no Iowa, Virginia so it is obvious this is fake -- there is no James Hydock at UIUC (now granted he says he is free lance).

Any one see anything like this - it is a curiousity thing - sorta of the heck is it and what is he trying to do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,806 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 09:59 am
@Linkat,
My feeling is that it's just a slightly more clever brand of spam. My personal rule, if there's one lie, it goes in my spam folder or disregard list.

This is all very vague but very telltale to me:"interesting developments in the research world".
Questions are what research...political, scientific...retail...what? Why be so vague, unless it's about being for the purpose of pure spam.

He is a 'fisher'. Basically, he goes out on the 'Net and trolls for any kind of responders at all. Then he sells those mail lists to others.

Do not click the link even to the link that theoretically drops you from their mail list. Those responses will only add you to some other spammers 'responders list' as they sell those mail lists to other spammers.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:27 am
@Ragman,
No I didn't click anything - it does go into a little more specifics about the research not much more - but I was trying to keep it as short as possible.

The part I love is -- it says if you don't want any more emails do not respond and I will take you off; then at the end it says if you want off to click here.

I would think at least you would put a real place on as your address - not a made up city/town.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:28 am
@Linkat,
I just researched him and found him on LinkedIn, a website for professional networking many people use safely:

https://www.outsellinc.com/about_us/team/Jim_Hydock

I still feel he's an upscale 'fisher'.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:29 am
@Ragman,
Ah linked in is blocked for my work PC - I am at home but working so logged on with my work email - odd huh as it is a business networking. Why the fake town?
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:36 am
@Linkat,
Did you go to the link i provided to Outsell? There's no risk to click on it.

Anyway, when you do, you'll see what it's about.
No clear idea why he uses fake location. on here it shows he's in Berlin.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:38 am
@Ragman,
OK looked at it on my nook.. not sure if it the same guy ... they give an address in CA but the email has Virginia and the phone number on this website is a UK exchange.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:43 am
@Linkat,
I think it's him because it describes exactly what you were describing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:53 am
there are several James Hydocks on linkd-in, as well as Jim Hydocks.

Given the wording of the email and the mixed address/phone details looks like a straight on fishing scam.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 11:03 am
@ehBeth,
... but as I previously wrote, the link to Outsell Inc clearly indicates this is the guy and the purpose of what he is doing. I agree that he looks like high-end fisher.

However, one possible answer is that someone is using him ...as in co-opted his info.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 11:46 am
@Ragman,
That's what I was thinking - someone is using his name - to be honest don't think whoever it is is that smart --- what tipped me off was Iowa, Virginia two state names rather than a city and state - why wouldn't you use Richmond, VA? I thought possible that Iowa is a town/city ---no such thing.

I originally tried to look him up using the address and name - no such luck. The address and name does not tie --- especially where his work phone number is in the UK.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 11:49 am
@Linkat,
And just a few minutes ago my husband called to see if I was ok. He got a text saying there was an accident - not too much more info. Coinciedently I had gotten off the phone with him about 20 minutes ago and was spending my lunch hour going to the dump (fun huh).

So he knew I was out driving. Fortunately I did not hit anything while driving - and fortunately he knew to call me first rather than respond to the text.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 12:14 pm
@Linkat,
Not sure how (or if) this is in any way relating to what you described. I doubt that it is. Who'd he get the text from?

However, that sort of thing is malicious. I hate that. I hope you and/or he can track that down.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 12:17 pm
@Ragman,
It was from a number he did not know - why he called me first. One of those things they try to do to get you emotional so you don't think first and just respond. He probably just deleted it after he knew I was fine.

Now I am the type to try to search and find who it is.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 12:19 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

That's what I was thinking - someone is using his name - to be honest don't think whoever it is is that smart --- what tipped me off was Iowa, Virginia two state names rather than a city and state - why wouldn't you use Richmond, VA? I thought possible that Iowa is a town/city ---no such thing.

I originally tried to look him up using the address and name - no such luck. The address and name does not tie --- especially where his work phone number is in the UK.

Yes, I understand all of those pieces are non-sequiturs.

FWIW, on Linked-In, the person who has that name and is connected with Outsell is located in Berlin.

Someone could have hacked this. However, my advice is block this email to the spam list. And ignore as something is clearly not right.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 12:23 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

It was from a number he did not know - why he called me first. One of those things they try to do to get you emotional so you don't think first and just respond. He probably just deleted it after he knew I was fine.

Hubby can also block that number from ever contacting him. If it were me, I'd also call my carrier...(in my case Verizon...) as there might be something else they can do. That is a despicable act.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:30 am
Are these spams getter weirder - got this one today:

A quick one-time healthcare communication (no further emails will be sent).

Psoriasis is a chronic, noncontagious immune condition that affects 5% of the US population. The most common form of Psoriasis is plaque psoriasis which can appear on most any part of the body but typically shows up on knees, shins, elbows and lower back. Typical symptoms are red, itchy patches or spots, raised bumps, or silvery scales and can often be misdiagnoses as eczema. Thank you.
0 Replies