Sun 12 Apr, 2015 08:46 pm
Hello,
I'm new to any kind of interior redesign/remodelling. I moved into my apartment about 3 years ago, and have this beautiful room. Only problem is, there's this "deep forest" wallpaper that covers about 3/4 of the main wall. It doesn't seem like normal wallpaper that I've read about removing. They are large panels that were somehow adhered to the wall.

Does anybody recognize this type of wallpaper and know if there's anything special about removing it? Or does anyone have any suggestions/ideas about its removal? I would like to remove them and repaint the entire wall. I've looked around for this type of wallpaper using Google Image finder, hoping to maybe complete the image across the span of the whole wall. But seeing as it's super old school, I think it's a better idea to just get rid of it entirely.

I have read about wallpaper removal and it seems simple enough. Worst case scenario is that I somehow end up making the wall look worse than it does now. I'd like to do it on my own and within a reasonable budget.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac80/lexy31488/IMG_1127.jpg
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac80/lexy31488/IMG_1125.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,597 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

Butrflynet

Sun 12 Apr, 2015 09:04 pm
@alexanicolemichael,
There are some good suggestions in this old article:

http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/There-s-an-easy-way-to-remove-old-wallpaper-3276383.php
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Mon 13 Apr, 2015 12:11 am
@alexanicolemichael,
First of all, I would check with your tenancy agreement to see if you can even think about doing any of this without express permission. You never know.

If all is OK to proceed....fine.

If the mural wall covering has a smooth surface (it should do), why not try painting over it, as this would be by far the easiest option.

Choose a small, preferably discrete area (couple of square feet) and see how the paint takes.
You may need to give it a couple of coats (letting the paint dry for a few hours in between coats) to cover the bold pattern completely.

If it won't cover, then you know you have to strip it. If it does cover but makes the wall look lumpy with ripples, give it time to dry out thoroughly and look again, as painted paper sometimes does this but dries out smooth and flat.

Stripping.
In the UK, we usually soak the wallpaper and scrape it off the wall using a hand scraper. The long handled pro ones are best, but there are other varieties.

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mXh-6P4Fhla6k4jmKm7S2Tw.jpg

I tend to use one of these plant sprayers to wet the paper (with water).

http://www.crowders.co.uk/library/products/medium/medium_1_41229018_hozelock_spray_mist_1.25_litre_plant_sprayer.jpg

Spray a test area of about a square foot to see if the paper has a porous surface. If it has a vinyl surface, the water will not penetrate, so you will have to strip this outer layer off first.
Most vinyl papers will gradually pull off in large chunks if you take care and peel it off slowly. The hardest part is picking away the first inch or two to get you started, so I hope you have good fingernails and patience.

Once you have any waterproof covering removed, the ordinary porous paper should scrape off easily once you have soaked it sufficiently.

Tips:

Always watch out for light switches and electrical sockets, especially down below your area of soaking, as the water will run down there if you use too much.

Always line the floor at the bottom with some sort of protective covering to minimise possible water damage. There shouldn't be too much water, but the soggy paper will fall and lie there while you work.
I use plastic bin liners or similar, if there is a nice carpet or fragile flooring to worry about. Try not stepping in it as you work.

Afterwards, when the bare wall has properly dried, try running the palm of your hand over the surface to detect any rough spots, as these will stick out like a sore thumb when you paint it. Sandpaper (glasspaper in the US) as necessary.
You may also have to check for small defects (holes and cracks) as well, hidden by the wallpaper covering. Fill as necessary.

Personally I would try option A and paint over it. Modern day paints just about cover everything nowadays.

Good luck.

0 Replies

valenciakim

Mon 25 Apr, 2016 11:46 am
Well, you must recommend some expert interior designer and home renovator before peeling off wallpapers in your home. They will definitely guide and let your know that which material you have to use next time.
amrath

Mon 16 May, 2016 04:05 am
@valenciakim,
Mix a solution of fabric softener and hot water 1/2 and 1/2 and put in a spray bottle. Spray the walls and start peeling. You can soak a rag and rub the wallpapered walls as well but the spray bottle is less messy.
0 Replies