Another day when there is no God

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 12:19 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The meme was false, based on assumptions, but a lot of people won't admit it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 01:03 pm
@izzythepush,
What do these people mean by "religion"?
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 01:22 pm
@Setanta,
Thanks, that was a good link, at least for me.
My own guess is that people who state they have no religion vary, of course. I figure at least some of them shy away from the word atheist because they think it is too strong, that the word means strong in itself, either strong non believer or strong belief in no gods, and may have never heard of "weak athiests" or soft ones.

I call myself soft because I'm not interested. Pass the ice cream.

On discussions on christian threads, I don't think I've ever posted on one. I don't mind they exist, I just don't participate.

I do participate in the few threads we've ever had for atheists to talk with each other, softly or loudly or snoring.

edit to add - I think some fair amount of people who state "no religion" are not using the word atheist because of a sense of spirituality re the world. I've an atheist friend who thinks mountains are spiritual places. I like them as mountains. Not very different, really, but still a difference. Others may consider spiritual quite seriously, avoiding the word atheist.

To each his own.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 02:33 pm
@InfraBlue,
They mean they're not having it. You'll have to ask every single individual for a more complete answer, it may take some time.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 03:27 pm
@izzythepush,
They're not having what, exactly?

What do you mean by "religion?"
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 04:20 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I never said you had to follow anything, but evangelical atheists like Richard Dawkins exist as does the Sunday Assembly.

Actually, you did. http://able2know.org/topic/273517-68#post-6277266
Quote:
Atheism is to all intents and purposes a religion with very strict views on life and the hereafter. Non religious people don't bother with it, or give it too much thought, they just get on with their lives.

While I take on board your view - I find it very hard to believe that the vast majority of people out there who have 'No religion' believe in god or gods.
There's a huge semantic overlap between god-belief and religion.

But whatever. Hate your definition of atheist as much as I hate Maxdancona's definition of feminism. It's a verbal rhetorical slap to a whole bunch of people who aren't the something or someone who that's annoyed you over this.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 05:40 pm
@hingehead,
I believe in G*d the trinity, I am christian with no doubts, I do not belong to any religion (ethnically I identify as Missouri Synod Lutheran - you may have to be Lutheran to get that joke).

Capital "A" Atheists seem kinda rigidly doctrinaire sometimes. I'm a Missouri Synod Lutheran so I can see that when its present in others.
hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't doubt for a sec that there are annoying atheists (or Missouri Synod Lutherans), but I'm not going to paint them all with the same brush.

Sounds like you have your own private religion (the holy trinity is a pretty involved concept - I doubt that you would have come up with it without some biblical instruction from one religion or another). Which is cool. But what do you tick on the census?

Maybe the issue is with the census' lack of granularity, or the complexity of human belief systems. Or maybe the question is just asinine or irrelevent - if church and state are truly separate why does the state want to know?

Also curious about this 'religiously doctrinaire' business, no one seems to be able to point at the actual doctrine. Although it seems the 'religious/theist' can certainly sense it. But I can't help but think 'religious doctrinaire' means an unshakeable disbelief in just one of 'your' beliefs.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:27 pm
I consider bobsal a close friend; we vary and listen. Same with Izzy, and we even spat over years. And so on. We don't all have to agree. Some of us are pretty feisty.

I'm keen on Hinge, but that's just from me. So I'm off to see his latest post..
hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
No issues with Iz or Bobsal, or you osso, all A2K friends in my book.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:08 pm
@hingehead,
Oh, good. Not that you were disagreeing with me all these years, but that I didn't just know I was ok. I know, silly. I'm not as presupposing as I act. What a petunia.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 09:22 pm
I was disappointed looking into this thread, today. It was never intended as a debate thread. I thought it died long ago.
hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 09:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's called upcycling Ed.
momoends

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:00 pm
@hingehead,
atheist is someone who doesn´t believe in the existence of a god... meaning the think they believe they are not gods at all.
agnostic is a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
although i don´t think atheist have a code of rules or stablished believes i see common aspects to all, like: they don't believe people have any kind of transcendental or spiritual dimension/essence and rarely feel attracted to any philosophy or ideology that defends the existence of a higher level of conscience or spiritual state. i´ve noticed atheists who are interested on Buddhism, consider it to be a philosophy when agnostic people tend to be attracted by its spiritual and religious aspect.

Alluding to another post in this thread: anti-opposite "thinkers" is quite common, being more obvious and spread in the theists side: members believes make anyone not following their moral code an enemy to their god and, therefore, not worthy of the same rights
momoends

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:13 pm
@CrisTianUk,
there was a huge fire in a forest here in Spain that burn a whole mountain down to ashes but a group of cypress that remain untouched in the middle of the forest.... should we worship the holy cypress?
whats the work of God like for you?
0 Replies

trichakra

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
God is here with us.

How you are so confident that there is no god?
momoends

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:57 pm
@trichakra,
how are you so confident there is one?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:36 pm
@momoends,
I tend to subscribe to the theory a comedian once mentioned 'Religion is a formalised panic about death'.

And certainly I know quite a few people who, though they don't believe in a god but are quite spiritual, tell me they cannot accept that they cease to exist at death. I'm pretty reconciled to it - but that's a completely personal issue.
momoends

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 12:10 am
@hingehead,
i have never believe we will survive this life but i can't say i don't fell afraid when thinking about my death and how i will feel the moments prior to it... I have so many things left to do and so much left to evolve as person that i still feel shocked about its inevitability. That said, i´ve always see it as a final event, no heaven awaiting for us at the other side, no better after life to experience... its a fundamental truth of our existence as human beings
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2016 12:14 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
I find it very hard to believe that the vast majority of people out there who have 'No religion' believe in god or gods.

It's not about belief, it's about people being respected for what they are, and not being misrepresented.

How would you feel if when asked if you believed that Jesus was your saviour you replied No only to be told that meant you were a Satanist? Then some godsquad posted a meme about half of America being Satanist?

"I find it very hard to believe that someone can reject God's love and not be a Satanist."