IS IT GETTING MEAN AROUND HERE??

George

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 02:20 pm
I imagine I'll be here for as long as people want to graffiti themselves in a
language nobody they know understands.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 02:26 pm
@Olivier5,
no she won't be the only one. I don't see eye to eye with you many times, but it would be a loss to the site if you leave.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 02:33 pm
@George,
Gualterius dixit "Salve" ad te, Georgius!
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 03:01 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
That does not explain it, because a good mind can quickly sift through the crappola. The Bad education, which is not even really education anymore but is rather indoctrination and worker training does better to explain what we see, and till about 10 years ago that was my answer. But there is some more fundamental failure. We are watching people give up on intelligence as being an aid in life, we are watching logic and its result science being degraded, we are watching a kind of hopeless purposeful ignorance in a lot of people now. And a huge emptiness, a lack of there being any there there when we talk about their inner life. And a profound lack of shame in their situation and lack of production as a human being, or for ******* over other people, the next generation being example #1.

This is big, and this sucks.

I have not figured out yet what is going on, but whatever it is is strongly connected to why this civilization is ending.

Olivier5 wrote:
Nobody believed that Rome could fall, even the Germanic soldiers and kings who besieged it were shocked when it happened. The thing had dominated this part of the world for so long... Everybody thought it was eternal. Long after its fall, people were still trying to reconstruct it: Charlemagne for instance.

Maybe you are right that these things cannot be predicted, and that the doomsday preachers always get it wrong. But western civilization as we know it WILL end. In any case, it is changing quite fast. Democracy in particular doesn't mean much anymore.

I don't agree that western civilization is ending. How would it end?

Military conquest? There would have to be someone strong enough to invade us at a moment when we were too weak to repel the invasion.

Revolution from within? I can't see it happening. There may be a widening gap between the rich and poor, but the poor can still afford flat screen high definition TVs. So long as the masses get their daily dose of bread and circuses, I can't see them overthrowing the system.

Environmental unsustainability? Perhaps, but science and technology will help us adapt to new challenges.

Why doesn't democracy mean much anymore? The state of democracy looks healthy to me.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 03:23 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I don't agree that western civilization is ending. How would it end?
In misery and despair.

Quote:

Why doesn't democracy mean much anymore? The state of democracy looks healthy to me.

Then you are not paying attention:

Quote:
Since the end of the Cold War, the assumption among most political theorists has been that as nations develop economically, they will also become more democratic—especially if a vibrant middle class takes root. This assumption underlies the expansion of the European Union and much of American foreign policy, bolstered by such examples as South Korea, the Philippines, Taiwan, and even to some extent Russia. Where democratization has failed or retreated, aberrant conditions take the blame: Islamism, authoritarian Chinese influence, or perhaps the rise of local autocrats. But what if the failures of democracy are not exceptions? In this thought-provoking study of democratization, Joshua Kurlantzick proposes that the spate of retreating democracies, one after another over the past two decades, is not just a series of exceptions. Instead, it reflects a new and disturbing trend: democracy in worldwide decline. The author investigates the state of democracy in a variety of countries, why the middle class has turned against democracy in some cases, and whether the decline in global democratization is reversible.

http://yalepress.yale.edu/book.asp?isbn=9780300175387
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 03:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Hi Osso. I'll probably end up just posting less here, and more elsewhere... You'll be the only one to notice. :-)

It's easy to stay active on multiple boards. Just keep your bookmarks to the boards next to each other, and when you are done reviewing posts on one board, check the next one.

Also, whenever you need a short break from one board, one of the other ones is sure to have something going on. If you switch your primary attention from one board to another as your interest wanders, you can ultimately stay interested in all the boards over a longer period of time.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 03:50 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Also, whenever you need a short break from one board, one of the other ones is sure to have something going on. If you switch your primary attention from one board to another as your interest wanders, you can ultimately stay interested in all the boards over a longer period of time.

Good point.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:00 pm
A2k members post a lot less in warmer spring and summer months when they spend more time enjoying their lives outdoors. We get these predictions of doom for the site almost every year when it happens.

[Edited for Hawkeye.]
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

A2k members post a lot less in summer months when they spend more time enjoying their lives outdoors. We get these predictions of doom for the site almost every year when it happens.

My calendar currently says "April".
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for the kind words.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:29 pm
@Olivier5,
I was pointing out your insult, when you said that FF would appreciate romance threads, presumably because she's a woman. That is intellectually shallow, sexist and extremely insulting.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:34 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I was pointing out your insult, when you said that FF would appreciate romance threads, presumably because she's a woman. That is intellectually shallow, sexist and extremely insulting.

This schtick of yours always trying to defend women is shallow, sexist and insulting. Firefly has no need for a twerp like you making noise about her honor, she is very able to speak for herself.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Better than blaming them for all that's wrong with the world, and twisting everything to fit in with your feminists are enslaving us all, poor me, poor me, narrative.

A woman pokes a snoring man with a pen, and you claim it's because she's a feminist and he must have said something sexist before he fell asleep. What sort of distempered brain comes up with **** like that?

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 05:32 pm
@izzythepush,
You're blowing a gentle tease out of proportion. I love romance threads too.
Ionus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:48 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Yup, that's as intellectually shallow as you can get.
Do you truly not realise the irony of your posts when you attack others ? Are you that stupid ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 08:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
feminists are enslaving us all, poor me, poor me,
The whole feminist movement has been to demand more protection whilst pretending to want independence and equality . Look at all the poor pitiful me pleas from the libbies . As usual, you have it all backwards .
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:36 am
@Olivier5,
Didn't sound like a tease, but if that's all it was, I'll take your word. I don't want to inflict Hawkeye's support on you any longer, that's punishment enough.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 01:50 am
@George,
George wrote:
I imagine I'll be here for as long as people want to graffiti themselves in a language nobody they know understands.

Best post so far in this pathetic thread.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 03:50 am
Well, all this has cheered me up, I hope it's sunny today.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 May, 2015 11:35 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
Hawkeye's regular pronouncements on the end of A2k is where the use of Chicken Little originally came from.

But, in the almost 11 years I've been here, I've never made such pronouncements until now.

I really feel like the bottom has fallen out of this place, on all fronts. I've mentioned the decline in the discussion threads, but even in many of the trivia and game threads, I've seen a marked slow-down in responses, much more noticeable than anything I can recall in the past, and it seems like these days we barely have any "community" participation in birthday threads, or get well threads, to express positive feelings or support for each other.

I miss the way A2K used to be, I used to enjoy coming here. I really can't say that these days. And, judging by how many have left here, or barely post any more, I'm not the only one.

Beth is not correct. I got to be known as Chicken Little because I kept talking about various subjects where I claimed that big problems are afoot, these usually being areas were the consensus was that there either was no problem or that I was blowing it up way out of proportion. However, the decline of A2K was only one of many. Other areas that I was talking about were the decline of the American superpower, especially our economy, the abuse of men at the hands of the feminists, the abuse of citizens at the hands of the state, the injustice of the justice system, that Washington is completely broken, the lack of interest in truth and reason, that globalization is a fraud perpetrated by the wealthy to depower the masses, and the general corruption of capitalism.

The Chicken little tag really started to lose punch after the GReat Recession, and it became a farce after Snowden and the big push by the feminist/state cooperative to force universities to abuse the men student under the banner of the fraudulent claims that rape is rampant on campus. The way it turned out is exactly as I claimed years ago, that I was noticing problems before the rest of you around here, before most of my fellow Americans. When Robert made the claim that I was nothing more than a troll he was wrong. Hopefully he is now finally aware that what I am is aware and a truth teller.

And yes, I was also correct that he was ruining what made this place great, that he was wrong that community is not important to the task of him making money.