IS IT GETTING MEAN AROUND HERE??

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 08:58 am
Ive been trying to engage in a few discussions but, if Im gone for a few hours or overnight, the entire thread haas turned into a damn shout fest and insultathon.

Maybe Im gonna look at the Facebook option.
As far as I know, Im an idiot, a Gomer, a libtard, and , as of last night, a lying ************.

Well, I can take a hint, you guys need purity of essence and reinforcement of your "beliefs". Sorry I cant help you out. I sometimes hve four or five conflicting views in my head and they all sound good every so often.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 46 • Views: 27,939 • Replies: 611

Ragman

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:03 am
@farmerman,
getting?
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:22 am
Some threads aren't worth bothering with.

Maybe stay out of the political threads?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:32 am
Does your feets stinks? Have you checked with Gunga on this?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:32 am
@farmerman,
The ignore function is really good for one's peace of mind. Some people just aren't worth the time of day. A lot of recent arrivals fall into that category.

I've noticed that a lot of far right extremists just repeat a mantra, they don't reason, they don't explain, they just repeat and then get really nasty if people disagree with that mantra.

Nobody has to deal with that ****.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
I definitely agree with using the ignore function, though I've probably got more from the (self-perceived) left side of the American political equation on ignore
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:38 am
@izzythepush,
I love irony.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:45 am
I have been asking for personal attacks to stop for while now. I don't make personal attacks (I believe in the years I have spent here, I have made only one personal attack against someone who was vicious toward me).

I state my opinion and defend my opinion. If everyone did this, and allowed other people to do the same then this place would be better. In my opinion, the problem is a concerted effort to squelch unpopular opinions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
The problem with "Ignore" is that it pnly works if the ignored cannot be seen by me . Many people dont believe in ignore and will attempt to communicate with the party.

I think the rate of bad attitude has increased markedly,I think Im getting too old to enjoy an argument about definitions and spelling followed by insult after insult.
I notice that I get mean an join in when its a free for all. I dont like me when I do. SO, .
Even though I like this place, I saw recently in my extended work hiatus, I really didnt miss nothin.

I argue with my colleagues but, in life, we dont get vicious with each other. Seein your debate partner in real life, down-tones ones "alpha gorilla" posing.

AAAAAH, I miss the days of Seal Poet, Cav, Kevin,Gus, Kicky, (and a few colleagues who just hung in for a few months till they tired of it all)

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The problem with "Ignore" is that it pnly works if the ignored cannot be seen by me .

if you use the Ignore function on the site you won't see that poster's posts (unless you peek or someone else quotes them)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:09 am
@farmerman,
I think there's been a rush of late which coincides with the re arrival of Ionus and Foofie. At least one of them has a sockpuppet.

Those of us who know about your problems with a keypad would never pick you up on your spelling. And Ionus was being particularly mean and nasty when he did so, basically because he'd already lost the argument.

I can see how that would be upsetting, but these people are beneath contempt, so why bother about what they're saying.
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:11 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
(unless you peek or someone else quotes them
The problem is the quoting by others who feel they can reason with the ignored one.

Remember when we could argue an argue with Kevin and still not get all full of ourselves and feel we had to hve last words?

Those days are gone I know. I mourn the demise of such civility.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:14 am
@farmerman,
You can always put Frank on ignore, more than one person does that on a temporary basis, because he does quote like there's no tomorrow.

I don't know of anyone else who does it quite so much.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:17 am
@farmerman,
It is within tolerable limits, FM.

Some people just do not like other people...and the upsets start.

Abuzz was like this...and this place has been like it almost from the start. After my short hiatus, I thought it had gotten worse also, but I quickly realized it is just the nature of the game.

Internet "discussions" just seem to have a mean streak to 'em.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:17 am
@farmerman,
there are only a couple of people who use the quote function a lot - I will occasionally put them on ignore after asking them to stop the mass quotes - as OssoB has often noted, you can see the response people are responding to (if they don't use reply all).

Since those mass quoters tend to have another habit I don't care for (bold/large font) it's all good when I hit ignore.

Kevin was an extraordinarily civilized fellow. So glad we got to meet him in person.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You can always put Frank on ignore, more than one person does that on a temporary basis, because he does quote like there's no tomorrow.

I don't know of anyone else who does it quite so much.

Whatta ya mean by that????
farmerman

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
well, no names, cause we just willmake this thread into an insultathon like many others.
I am more talking about a guy Id been hving some decent converstions with but , (nd I really dont know why)--hes been turned on by lots of people by some long time members.

I do have my strong feelings about certain worldviews but Id rather engage thiose folks in a one to one. For me , its interesting only until it gets weird and personal. (which seems to happen in the second page pf a thread).

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:19 am
@ehBeth,
People quote people I have on ignore all the time*, sometimes in full - quite a space taking maneuver - which is basically dumb because if they are replying to someone, all I have to do is click on the little green letters to see it (well, and then clicking view).

*maybe not all the time... it just seems like it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:19 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

there are only a couple of people who use the quote function a lot - I will occasionally put them on ignore after asking them to stop the mass quotes - as OssoB has often noted, you can see the response people are responding to (if they don't use reply all).

Since those mass quoters tend to have another habit I don't care for (bold/large font) it's all good when I hit ignore.

Kevin was an extraordinarily civilized fellow. So glad we got to meet him in person.

You ought to put yourself on IGNORE, Beth. You are one of the most annoying...and self-absorbed posters in A2K.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 10:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
You could make it easier by knocking off the quoting Frank, like you've done here. I can understand it if you're responding to a post a few pages back, but you have a habit of quoting everything from a post directly above yours. That's not at all necessary, and, as you can see, upsets those who have that poster on ignore.