Dzhokhar Tsarnaev verdict in...Guilty!

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 01:18 pm
The verdict is in...and Tsarnaev has been found guilty of the charge of murder using a weapon of mass destruction.

From the Huffington Report:

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the 21-year-old who admitted he and his brother bombed the 2013 Boston Marathon, has been found guilty of the most serious charges against him, including conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction and bombing of a public place.

The jury of five men and seven women deliberated for roughly 11 hours before reaching a verdict.

Sturgis

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 02:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Now to wait and watch for the decision of his penalty. Where a part of me would love to have him executed, another piece of me would much rather he went away to a solitary cell for the remainder of his years...which would hopefully be quite a few And with few allowances for visitors.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 03:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I couldn't be on the jury since I'm not a fan of the death penalty. Even I question my judgement on that since death is so cheap in so many ways all over the world, including here, but still, I don't think a new death fixes anything but a sense of retribution, which could be enough for most people but I'm uncomfortable with it done by the State.

I can understand it, encased as it is in a kind of war on terrorism; just that I don't want to be the judge.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 04:00 pm
We're all going to wait on the punishment...and for sure some will be hellbent on death...and others will be as fervent in opposing the death penalty.

I'll let the process decide...and be satisfied with whatever the outcome.

But...if the question is: Which do I feel is the more humane and less cruel...

...I would say that the death penalty is MUCH, MUCH more humane and FAR, FAR less cruel than the most expected alternative...life in prison without the chance of parole.

No question on that at all in my mind.

But without a doubt, I will be satisfied with whatever outcome the process arrives at.

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I couldn't be on the jury since I'm not a fan of the death penalty. Even I question my judgement on that since death is so cheap in so many ways all over the world, including here, but still, I don't think a new death fixes anything but a sense of retribution, which could be enough for most people but I'm uncomfortable with it done by the State.

I can understand it, encased as it is in a kind of war on terrorism; just that I don't want to be the judge.

I am also against the death penalty. What bothers me the most is when it is argued that someone must be executed in order for the families of victims to have "closure." This wrongly assumes that retribution provides closure. Not all families of victims would agree with that.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 05:17 pm
@wandeljw,
If killing were the answer, I d suggest that, instead of killing the killer, the "system" go after his family .

Of course , as civilized people we dont do such things, but in a war---Im not so sure.
Killing him will elevate him to some stupid martyr status among his deluded followers.

I think itd be way more valuable to lock him in SUpermax and put him in the general population of skinheads
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 08:33 pm
No death penalty for him. Make him sit alone in a cell for years at a time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 04:28 am
Edgar...FM...

...as I said, either killing him or keeping him in prison for the remainder of his life are okay with me.

But if asked which is the crueler punishment...and which is the more humane...

...without a doubt in my mind I would choose death as the more humane and less cruel...

...and life in prison as the more cruel and less humane.

We'll see what the process determines.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 01:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If killing were the answer, I d suggest that, instead of killing the killer, the "system" go after his family .

How do you figure?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
But if asked which is the crueler punishment...and which is the more humane...

...without a doubt in my mind I would choose death as the more humane and less cruel...

...and life in prison as the more cruel and less humane.

I wonder what Tzarnaev's take is on the cruelty of the two options.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:36 am
@InfraBlue,
Beats me...but I would not give him a vote.

How about you...

...which do you think it the more humane...which do you think is less cruel?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:43 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

...and life in prison as the more cruel and less humane.[/b]

I wonder what Tzarnaev's take is on the cruelty of the two options.
[/quote]

I wonder if he's even able to comprehend life in prison. He may think the death penalty gives him martyr status, (it's hard me to comprehend why death is such an attractive option to radicalized zealots) but life stuck in prison I think is a more horrible option. I doubt he can imagine being 30 years old, let alone 40 or 50 and all those years could be served in lock up.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 11:55 am
@glitterbag,
Exactly, Glitterbag.

The guy is 20 years old.

The prospect is to live the entire of his life (think of when you were 20 until now)...in prison...

...or just die.

Frankly, I don't want him or any other convicted criminal given the chance to choose a punishment. That is for the state to do.

I have no problem with them putting him in prison for the rest of is life...

...but I definitely consider that to be crueler and less humane than simply executing him.

Just my opinion. I respect that other people feel differently.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 12:11 pm
I have presented my anti death penalty pitch on other threads. Basically, it amounts to, I don't trust those in the system to deliver fair trials in far too many cases. Since we can't know who is truly guilty so often, lack of a death penalty gives us a chance to reverse wrong verdicts.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 12:12 pm
Yeah, I've often thought about preferring to die than serving time in an American prison.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I have presented my anti death penalty pitch on other threads. Basically, it amounts to, I don't trust those in the system to deliver fair trials in far too many cases. Since we can't know who is truly guilty so often, lack of a death penalty gives us a chance to reverse wrong verdicts.

Absolutely.

What do you think about this case, though, where there is no doubt that Tsarnaev perpetrated the killings?

For you personally, would you prefer death or a life prison?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 01:50 pm
My preference should have no bearing. There is no doubt this guy is guilty, but, they are sure there is no doubt when a man is wrongly convicted also. No death penalty, ever, in my view. And I have had two family members that were murdered.
0 Replies

amender

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 08:51 pm
@farmerman,

Quote:
I think itd be way more valuable to lock him in SUpermax and put him in the general population of skinheads

Supermax prisons don't have general populations. And in the penal system today he would be a hero the growing populations of Islamic converts.

I am new here, but I know a little about prison.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 10:45 pm
@amender,
I've no idea about this guy I take as a tool, what should happen now. He is a potentially bright guy now facing a bludgeoned life, for good reason.

It is possible he may change on his own. I'd rather he not change by force.

amender

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 10:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
It is possible he may change on his own. I'd rather he not change by force.

I can tell you from experience, the worse you are, the better you are treated.
0 Replies