Water pouring out of toliet??

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 08:29 am
Thank you winter from heck....now with all the melting we are having many issues with water. An odd thing happened this morning. As the kids are getting ready for school, I heard this odd noise. I looked in the bathroom and I look in the toliet and some bubbles were coming out. Odd I thought.

I walk out and all of a sudden water starts pouring out of the toliet--thank goodness it is clean water....I somehow link my daughter taking a shower upstairs to the water pouring out of the toliet downstairs. I tell her to shut the water off - and the water stops pouring out.

The sink in the upstairs bathroom had no impact only the shower. I clean up all the water and the toliet was filled to the brim -- a half hour later the toliet's water level is now lower than is usual.

Anyone know what to make of this?

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 08:33 am
The waste pipe from upstairs is getting full and it's backing up into your toilet's waste pipe. You are probably plugged up somewhere down the line, after the toilet.

Google some plumbing diagrams and see how upstairs/downstairs waster pipes tie into each other.

Have a plumber clean out the system.

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 08:36 am
@PUNKEY,
That is what we figured --- we do have a friend that is a plummer -- think this is due to all the snow melting? More curious than anything else.
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 09:46 am
@Linkat,
IMHO, it an unknown..unless it's a scenario where there's such frozen ground that it's obstructing proper drainage. I can't see how outside drainage from roof and downspouts is affecting inside the house.

I'm sure that your plumber friend will have a good fix and answer for you.

Although, when I had my house, I had a private septic system located in my backyard we had a problem that caused a backup. The 'grey water' (water that is not sewage) from the upstairs kitchen disposal, water from the washing machine in basement backed up into the washing machine. it turned out the main drainage pipe just outside of the house basement wall had a break (frozen ground and/or frost heave) just beyond the wall so that the drainage wouldn't get out the last 10 feet to the cistern where the grey water destination should be.

My understanding of drainage would be that your ground might be so frozen that it's obstructing proper drainage. But I can't see how the snow melting itself might cause it.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:37 am
@Ragman,
we have private septic system too - but I figure it couldn't be a back up with the septic as the water (thank goodness) was clean.

I do know that for some reason the toliet downstairs and the shower is somehow contected via pipes. We had an issue once when it was very cold and we did not have hot water and could not flush the downstairs toliet at the same time.

We have solved that problem as the pipes are in a large closet in the basement and so when it is cold we need to leave the doors open to the closet to allow for the heat to enter for the pipes to remain from get frozen at all.
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:41 am
@Linkat,
Let us know what your plumber friend reports. I'm curious too.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 11:10 am
@Linkat,
There is a backup but it's apparently not the drainage water. It's in the supply side (clean) water pipes. one of those pipes might be close to the cold air where an outside wall is..just as a guess.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 02:13 pm
@Ragman,
Yes it is - it is in a basement closet. We found this out when we had hot water problems once. To solve we simply keep some of the doors open in our basement. We have a basement room that is heated - it is next to this closet - both the room and this closet have doors - we simply keep both doors open and turn the heat up a little and we no longer have hot water issues as it then keeps the pipes warm enough. We haven't kept them open recently as it has been warmer out.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 02:55 pm
See if your symptoms are similar to what I posted here awhile ago.

If so, it turned out to be a clogged sewer line that goes from the house out to the street sewer lines. Apparently there is a y-shaped plumbing configuration in our house with one string of plumbing coming from one side of the house where the master bedroom and bathroom are located, and the other side of the house where the kitchen, laundry and second bathroom are located. The clog was in the sewer line coming from the master bathroom and when it backed up, it caused the other sewer line from the other end of the house to gurgle, burp, flood and drain at odd moments when not in use.

Our handyman person rented a snake from Home Depot and ran it through the system from the outside of the house inwards. It seems to have done the trick since we haven't had the problem since.

http://able2know.org/topic/234761-1
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 04:45 am
Ober the phone, our plumber thought it a clog in the main pipe. He doesn't have a snake that large so he suggested calling a rotor type guy. We called one that seemed seemed recommended.

He said the same thing or our septic is full. So since we are just beyond the two years and were planning to have the septic serviced this spring ... we delayed due to the snow..we will see if this works first. Hope it is just that..especially seeing we had lots of people over this weekend due to easter and being a little late servicing.
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 04:45 pm
@Linkat,
So the septic company came it was a clog in the main pipe ... they used a snake to get it out and we needed a regular service any way ...it would have been about the same just to a rotor guy out if it were a main water pipe clog.

So we got our regular septic service with the clog removal for the same and water is flowing nicely. since we have a filter on the septic it keeps any septic yucky from backing in.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 05:09 pm
@Linkat,
Congrats on the 2fer. Glad it wasn't anything worse.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 12:45 pm
@Linkat,
http://able2know.org/topic/273168-1
0 Replies

JuanitaMiller

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 12:45 am
I think your local home improvement store or a good plumber should be able to help you further or get you the correct solution.
0 Replies

CynthiaGaines

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 01:46 am
A sewer channel obstruct is an intense issue that can be viewed as a plumbing crisis. Since the water has no spot to go it will all return up into the family unit plumbing in somehow. A plumber will sure help you.
Linkat

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 01:13 pm
@CynthiaGaines,
Thanks but seeing this occurred last April I would be a whole slew of trouble if I still hadn't resolved it.
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2015 01:24 pm
@Linkat,
Wait. You weren't just waiting around until someone suggested you call a plumber?

You pro-active girl you.
0 Replies