Why are we always in a hurry?

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:40 am
Nowadays,quick fixes has become a lifestyle.And this lifestyle affects every aspect of our life.But why are we always busy or always in a hurry?

Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:55 am
@Elaine0313,
Because we're mindless ants hell-bent to follow the road to our destruction. Get there quickly and bear the other guy.

Seriously, if people regularly slowed down or stopped for a few, they'd actually have coherent thoughts and due to their introspection, might gain self awareness. In which case, they would discover this headlong rush and the desire for a good life and happiness are at cross-purposes
Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:34 am
@Ragman,
Typo on the word bear. Should be beat.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 07:48 am
I want instant gratification and I want it NOW!!!
0 Replies

infodavidwatson

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:33 am
We are in a hurry to get onto a plane and to get off the plane. We are in a hurry to get ahead of anyone in a queue and of course we see movies always on the first day and if possible the previous day when it is being launched. Never mind if the tickets are for charity one can always get free passes through the sponsors.

We are in a hurry at red lights and actually like to honk at people who stop in front of you. I mean where’s the need to stop at a red light when there is no traffic!

No matter where we are, we are in such a hurry. After 3 hours of Slum Dog Millionaire we missed our Rahman’s Oscar winning Jaya Ho cause we were in a hurry to get out and… eat cut mirchi?

Take our food: The secret of good Hyderabadi food is the pace with which it is cooked, not under pressure and definitely not the Indian innovation: the pressure cooker! As to haleem did you know it means ‘patience’, because it often takes a whole day to prepare. We depend on moonlit dew to make nimish and the list goes on… We make time for friends and we practically close home and move in to our friends’ homes when anyone in the family, even if it’s the youngest kid brother with whom we actually had no contact, gets married. After all family friends are family friends especially when you go abroad and need free lodging.

All these comments about the Hyderabadi kal which never happens is not quite fair. Have you really met people who miss flights, who are not there in the nick of time at the muhurtam, after all one has to show face at two or three other muhurtams as well on the same morning.

That’s why we say ‘onwards’ on invitations. Poor outsiders have been known to come for a wedding at the time written on the invite and find not even the shamiyana man there.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 07:18 am
@Elaine0313,
If you want to do something against always hurry there are simpel tricks.
Do not ever look at your cell phone nor your PC before you have had breakfast and you are dressed and all set to start the day.
This means about one hour without any stress.

Turn off your cellphone when you drive, when you are with other people, when you sit in a public transportation.
Then you can concentrate on one thing and do not feel as much in a hurry.

Have a book ready to read - especially with friend/s who look at their cell phone all the time. Take out your book and start reading. That sure will confuse that person.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 10:58 pm
@Elaine0313,
Elaine0313 wrote:

Nowadays,quick fixes has become a lifestyle.And this lifestyle affects every aspect of our life.But why are we always busy or always in a hurry?

i don't have any studies currently at hand to support my position, but i think that the contemporary motivation to "hurry", in whatever way we are doing so, has a lot to do with the rate at which information is now available to us v. our practical means of satisfying our personal desires.

FBM wrote:

I want instant gratification and I want it NOW!!!

Your sarcasm is clumsy...i think that every person, throughout history, has (at least, initially) wanted immediate satisfaction. The "desire for instant gratification" is not an explanation for why "hurried-ness" is so common today...it implies a motive, but neither method, nor a mechanism...
realist phil

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 06:20 pm
Competition.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 06:22 pm
@Razzleg,
Razzleg wrote:

Your sarcasm is clumsy...i think that every person, throughout history, has (at least, initially) wanted immediate satisfaction. The "desire for instant gratification" is not an explanation for why "hurried-ness" is so common today...it implies a motive, but neither method, nor a mechanism...

Wow. I've never met anyone who had known everyone throughout history before. You must've had an amazing - and amazingly long - life.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 07:01 pm
@Elaine0313,
Because we would have to get to know ourselves if we slowed down, and we are too afraid of what we would find to do it.
0 Replies

Beals

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:39 am
It's something about the way people's mind are indoctrinated (by 'them'), kept on a level of fear that keeps them rushing around, so caught up in their own lives, their egos and pride when someone cuts them off, I'm going to be late for work, what if I can't find a space... (fear?)

Is it bec. people aren't living in the moment but focused on the future, not present, always somewhere else in their mind's. I've got to get home bec. I need to walk the dog then get started on dinner then Game of Thrones is on at 9... Instead of, right now I'm driving, stopped in a queue. Relax. Breathe.
If we were calmer, more accepting of what currently is, our minds quieter in the moment, we might realise something like peace.

'I think they're crazy; Running everywhere at such a speed; Till they find there's no need.'
0 Replies