Two versions of Natias Spanish Pudding (& Basque Natills)

Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
My housekeeper was telling me of a Spanish pudding her grandmother used to make. She could not find a recipe for it and longed to cook it for her children. I searched and found the recipe, and adapted it for her. She's promised to bring some to me. ---BBB

TWO VERSIONS OF NATIAS SPANISH PUDDING (OR BASQUE NATILLAS) PUDDING
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

NATIAS (SPANISH PUDDING)

6 cups whole milk
2 large eggs separated
1-1/2 cups white granulated sugar
1/2 cup flour/corn starch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon white granulated sugar

Into an electric blender add the milk, egg yolks, flour, and sugar; blend for about 30 seconds or until well mixed. Pour the mixture into 4 quart pot and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly, being careful not to scorch. Immediately lower heat and let mixture boil slowly, still stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the nutmeg and cinnamon. Let cool while the egg white are being beaten,

Into large electric mixer bowl add the egg whites and beat until the whites are stiff. Add one teaspoon sugar and mix well. Pour into the beaten egg whites two or three tablespoons of the milk pudding and fold it into the egg whites. Pour the egg white mixture into the milk pudding and slowly blend the egg white mixture into it, taking care not to deflate the egg whites. You may wish to sprinkle more cinnamon on top. Refrigerate until cold before serving.

NATILLAS (BASQUE SWEET DREAM PUDDING)

1 quart heavy cream
2 cinnamon sticks
6 large eggs
3/4 cup white granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon

In a saucepan, combine the cream and cinnamon sticks, and bring them to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook gently for about ten minutes, until the cream is well infused with the cinnamon. Set the pan aside so the cream can cool.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until they are well mixed. Add the cream and cinnamon sticks, and whisk well.

Heat one to two inches of water in the bottom pan of a double boiler. Transfer the custard mixture to the top pan, or set the bowl over a saucepan containing one to two inches of hot water. Bring the to a boil and cook the custard, stirring constantly, for about thirty minutes, or until it thickens. Add more water to the bottom pan, if necessary.

Remove the top pan or the bowl from over the hot water, and let the custard cool.

Strain the cooled custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass or ceramic container, and refrigerate the Nataillas for at least four hours, until it is cool.

Stir before serving, adding a little more heavy cream if necessary to smooth the Natillas. Divide it among six custard cups or transfer it to a pitcher to use as a sauce.

Serve the Natillas sprinkled with cinnamon.

Makes five to six cups; serves six.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 12,292 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

jazzyguitar19

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:45 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thats pretty much how my grandma use to make it (rest her soul) and since tonight is the first ash wednesday dinner without her, my mom and I took the liberty of making it. Except we put vanilla in it, and since we are 8th generation spanish, we put a hint of red chili powder and cinnamon to give it a kick! Try it, and you will fall in love with it!
0 Replies