"the lack of closure"? What does it mean?

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 07:00 am
Does it mean "the lack of perfection"?

Context:

Total uniformity in the moral sphere - either interpersonally or intrapersonallymay be hopeless. So what? This is precisely the lack of closure we face in all areas of human knowledge. Full consensus as a scientific goal only exists in the limit, at a hypothetical end of inquiry. Why not tolerate the same open-endedness in our thinking about human well-being?
Again, this does not mean that all opinions about morality are justified. To the contrary - the moment we accept that there ae right and wrong answers to questions of human well-being, we must admit that many people are simply wrong about morality. The eunuchs who tended the royal family in China's Forbidden City, dynasty after dynasty, seem to have felt generally well compensated for their lives of arrested development and isolation by the influence they achieved at court - as well as by the knowledge that their genitalia, which had been preserved in jars all the while, would be buried with them after their deaths, ensuring them rebirth as human beings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 410 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 07:51 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does it mean "the lack of perfection"?

No, not really. Often it involves something quite imperfect. When used in this way "closure" generally means some satisfactory state of "finality." A conclusion to something that you can live with and which no longer occupies your thoughts--it is no longer "unfinished business" which requires your attention, doubt, or concern. Sometimes it is said that when the bones of a long-missing child are discovered, the parents can achieve "closure," for example.

However, this author seems to be using it in a different way, like "achieving an ultimate goal." In this contect, it may be implying a certain degree of perfection, but that is generally not a requirement. Used in this way, finally finishing the building of a 40 story building that took years to build would be achieving "closure" with respect to the project. But if the job were done defectively, with the contractor getting hit with a lawsuit for defective workmanship, then there would be no "closure" to the project, even though the building was "finished."

That's the way I understand it, anyway.
oristarA

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 11:38 am
@layman,
Excellent!
0 Replies