Paleomagnetic Remanence - Mediterranean - Any Evidence of Cosmic Lightning?

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 05:01 am
Hi,

I was hoping there might be a geo around who could point me at some intelligible data regarding the Mediterranean Region through the late Devonian and early Carboniferous.

I think the Mediterranean may have been formed by a cosmic lightning strike during that period - and I am interested in whether the strata appear to be rotated - that is the remanence indicates rotation of strata - which would correlate with cosmic lightning.

I think the strike hit near Sardinia, through to Lebanon - skipped over to Baghdad and into the Persian Gulf.

Major remanence rotation through those areas would provide some confirmation. I guess the major question is - is that area and time frame really messed up from a remanance point of view.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 730 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 05:28 am
@Anti-Trust,
Heres a reconstruction of the area you are interested in during the Devonian. As you can see (the pink saw toothed line) there was a goodly subduction zone that define proto Europe and it had not yet defined a Mediterranean basin area yet. Also, Im puzzled about the available PRM data you refer to. Its damned difficult to get any accurate Paleo remnace from anything arlier than, say, the late Cretaceous.
So what sources are you using?

http://www.paleoportal.org/media/boilerplate/0/4077_period_pal_map_13_image.jpg
Anti-Trust

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 08:38 am
@farmerman,
Thanks so much for the reply.

Yeah I havent been able to find any data for this period, I am working on a theory but dont have much to go on.

I just suspect that a great deal of rotation should show up in the remanence for that period - guess Ill have to try and think of another type of data that I could use.

Thanks again for the reply Very Happy
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 08:51 am
@Anti-Trust,
Paleo remnant magnetism is generally recorded via earth's polar magnetic" NORMALS and REVERSALS"( dipole polarity) . Thee reversals are recorded as "chron dates" and are given Alphaneumeric codes starting with the most recent (the C1n[Brunhes Normality] , which extends from 0.78 my to the present) and the most distant (in time) (the C33r,(K reversed) which extended from about 79 to 83 Million years ago). Anything beyond that is highly questionable data since the earth magnetic "clocks" get reset by metamorphic action.

So you are probably going to be on a fishing expedition for any Remnant mag data anywhere earlier than 83 Million years. Another problem is that, since there were at least 3 periods of continental collision since the late Ordovician, where the actual north and south POLES were located requires a huuuuge amount of computer time and drill down-hole data.
0 Replies